Best choice for first DSLR. A buyers guide I guess for the noob's like me.

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Chris, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Not actually a buyers guide if you will, but I could use some help and maybe it will help anyone else who is new to photography. To be quite honest, I know jack about this stuff and was actually surprised about how much information is out there regarding the subject. With some help from some of you guys who put me to shame with your nice pictures, maybe I can learn a thing or two.

Ok, enough of that. I am looking to buy my first DSLR. What should someone who is new to the hobby like me look for in a new camera? What models and lenses would be best suited for someone such as I? To clarify, I plan to use it for everyday stuff I guess. Indoor/outdoor, portraits, landscapes, and some action shots. Any advice and recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    it's gonna be like buying a 1911.

What is your intended use? (i know you posted it above, but just listing this in general)
    What's your budget?
    How large of a camera (and lenses) are you willing to carry around?

it's not so much the camera as it is the lenses. Lens choice is more important and good lenses cost more than the camera bodies.
    "Zoom" lenses are convenient, but "Prime" lenses are better/faster.

I prefer Nikon's for dSLR's. the controls are more natural than the Canon. The Nikon also has better Speedlights (flashes) compared to Canon.

3. Chris

Aug 17, 2011
    I kind of figured that. Budget is not a big deal, but I doubt I need a high end camera for the pictures I would take. I am looking more at a starter (like a Mil-Spec that I can learn on and grow into :lol:) Lenses? Now there I am confused. I read about aperture, focal length, and other stuff, but don't understand everything yet. I guess I am trying to keep it to a camera and two lenses that would allow me to take some different type of photos. Don't know if that helps.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  4. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Nikon D3100. :thumb:

You can even get a CAMERA BAG to carry all that crap in. :pound:

[​IMG]

5. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    :pound:

6. Chris

Aug 17, 2011
    :pound: You beat me to it....

When I pick one up, I think I will stash the murse in a backpack to avoid ridicule :lol:

Back to topic: Why the D3100 Paul? What is the other lens in the bag?

7. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Because I couldn't afford D5100. :pound:

Seriously though, this is my first DSLR. This camera is PLENTY of oomph for my needs. My dad was a Photography major and has always been a Nikon man, and Don seconded that motion. It came with the stock 18/55VR and I picked up a 55/200VR for it. I wish I had a 18/200, but they run like $700, so I just change lenses as needed.

This IS a backpack, it just has one strap. Dicks.

8. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    one strap=MURSE :tongueout:
    [​IMG]

9. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Chris I got a Canon 60D last December. It's a fantastic camera, 18mp with full 1080p HD video and 5.4 framers per second (kids in sports). The megapixel argument is like 9mm vs 40. 5 MPs won't make much of a difference if you don't plan to blow the photos up for billboards. The video, however, is valuable to me. I love the option if having both in one platform. Something to consider.

Lenses are tough. As Quack said, fixed length will be faster and provide a more crisp image, but at a premium price. If you want a zoom covering a wide range, both Tamron and Sigma make one that is highly rated and produces above average images. Can't remember the exact focal lengths but I believe they are 18-250 and 25-270 or something like that. $450-600 range i believe.

My camera is more than I need and more than I will ever learn, but I wanted high quality and video in one package. Canon controls don't bother me because my old school SLR was an Élan IIe. I'm a Canon fanboy. The EOS Rebel line is good and more affordable, with the T1i and the T2i standing out. I don't know much about the T3. Once you pass the Rebels and get into the plain EOS line the price starts climbing.

Many great options out there, and just as addictive as 1911s.

10. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    It's all going to come down to money, just like 1911's. I took a photography class with a Nikon 35mm and LOVED it. I wanted to get a DSLR after that, but never wanted to put the money into to pursue it. After shopping around for some time, I was under the impression that Canon's are more user-friendly in the low-end models, but if you want a serious camera, Nikon's are better in the upper range.

If you don't already know how much glass cost, you better look it up now, because it certainly isn't cheap. And for what you described, you're going to need multiple lenses.

11. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    whichever brand you get, i suggest getting a 50mm/1.8 or 1.4 lens.

12. deadguy

Sep 7, 2011
    +1. that was my first "extra purchase. A 1.4

13. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    Though I own a Canon 5D MkII and it's a terrific camera, for the $$'s I'd get a Nikon D3100, for the price it's hardly beatable from what I've seen. I'm not jumping brands but money savings are a big plus these days and to actually see a difference in certain applications you'd be splitting hairs. Canons vs Nikons are like Chevy vs Ford both make a great product. In the end, I like my Canon but get what you find is the best deal for you!

14. EdS

EdS Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Me & my son are both into photography and HD video... he shoots a Nikon D5100 and I shoot a D90. The fixed focal length with a faster f stop is a must, I totally agree with quack on that. As for outdoor & midrange, Tamron makes a great 70 to 300mm and Nikon has a nice 16 to 85.. both are my main outdoor lenses.

15. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    Let's see if i can remember what all i have:

Bodies:
    D200
    D300

Speedlights:
    SB-800
    SB-600

Strobes:
    2 - Alien Bee B800
    2 - Alien Bee B400
    misc light stands and modifiers

4 - Pocket Wizard PlusII's

ColorRight Pro white balance tools (Neutral and Portrait)

Sekonic L-358 with wireless transceiver.

Lenses
    Nikkor:
    10mm/f4 fisheye
    17-55mm/f2.8
    50mm/1.8
    85mm/f1.8
    70-200mm/2.8

Sigma:
    30mm/f1.4
    I've had a 70-200mm/2.8 and a 17-35mm/F2.8-4

Tokina:
    12-24mm/f4

Tamron:
    90mm Macro

16. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    BTW, my most used lenses are the 30mm/1.4 and 17-55mm/2.8

17. deadguy

Sep 7, 2011
  18. EdS

EdS Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Tamron can be incredibly good for the money.....

19. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    I use a Canon D20 at work and like it. I'm considering picking one up for my personal use. I used a Canon Rebel XTI at work until riding around in the truck did it in.

20. Chris

Aug 17, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Some of the talk about lenses is still like a foreign language to me, but I will figure it out with time. Thanks again.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted