Best EDC Under $400

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by barmandr, Dec 2, 2018.

1. barmandr

barmandr SHEEPLE HERDER Supporting Addict

Oct 11, 2011
    I don't carry a knife daily but think I should start. Looking for recommendations for a good quality knife with a max blade length of 3.5 inches with a price of $400 or less. Thanks in advance.

khend1 likes this.

2. Bluemooncricket

Bluemooncricket Son of a be more careful!!!

Feb 14, 2018
    The ZT0450 works well for EDC but you’re not gonna be able to cut the roof off a car with it. I use one in my daily tasks as a mechanic and haven’t found it to be lacking.

WHEELS likes this.
  3. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
  4. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    12VMan and bigbob76 like this.
  5. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    This is a great knife, I carry one I got from RG and it is solid, fast, light, slim, and holds a nice edge.

I also have a few ZT0350s, another great pocket knife, fast for an assisted opener, rugged as hell with a nice thick blade that stays sharp. I carry one of these when working around the farm. They're a little heavy but the weight is comforting and gives it a very solid feel in your hand kind of like a 1911.;)

I recently bought a Raven Tactical OTF auto that I've been trying out and so far so good. It's stout, solid and heavy, fast opening and closing, not as sharp out of the box as I would have liked but holds an edge. I like the convenience of the OTF style, you don't have to shift your grip after opening it. It's kind of large and definitely heavy so it might not be suitable for EDC for everyone.

All three of these are well under the $400 mark. I usually carry two knives, a ZT0350 and an auto, but if I had to chose just one of these to be my everyday general use pocket knife it would be the Protech. It's a great combo of quality, size, and speed at a reasonable price that you can wear with anything. That said, if all I ever wore was jeans and wanted to carry one rugged ass knife all the time it would be the ZT0350. The size and weight makes it less forgiving in slacks or light shorts so you need a wardrobe that works with it.

6. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Shop around and find a Chris Reeve Sebenza. Smalls can be had under $400 easy, Large models may take some hunting but you'll be glad you did. Lifetime warranty, free spa treatments and three blade profiles to choose from.

Best EDC out there is hands down a Large Sebenza with Micarta Inlays and an Insingo blade.

Runner up: Large Benchmade Griptilian with Titanium Wilkins Scales and a Sheepsfoot Blade ;)

7. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    This is what I carry as well great knife light and easy to carry.
    Under $200 I think mine was $140-$160 range.

BenchMonkey likes this.
  8. barmandr

Oct 11, 2011
    What do you guys think about the Protech TR5?

9. shootin-blanks

shootin-blanks Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Kershaw Chive... let it hold your leftover 360$.
    but tighten up the safety, if using as a money clip, in your front pocket. (ask me why :()
    IMG_20181204_161253020.jpg

10. barmandr

Oct 11, 2011
    Thanks all. I went to a local knife store today to check a few out. I couldn't decide between the Protech TR-3 and a ZT 0770CF carbon fiber spring assist. So, of course, I got both.

dgi, xerts1191, FWoo45 and 1 other person like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted