1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK to be honest, I haven't had a LWC since my brother borrowed mine decades go and never returned it. Since I just bought one, in time it will need to be refinished.

So, the question is, what they best finish for hardness, protection and wear resistance. Painted on finishes, I remain skeptical off. Have at thee!

·
Get off my lawn...
17,465 Posts
Mine is Cerekote, and I love the honest wear it is starting to show. If Cerekote is not for you, Hard Chrome is almost bulletproof. It’s best to have any external modifications performed (checkering, carry cuts, Novak sight cuts, etc.) prior to Hard Chrome. Best of luck!

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,829 Posts
Mine is Cerekote, and I love the honest wear it is starting to show. If Cerekote is not for you, Hard Chrome is almost bulletproof. It’s best to have any external modifications performed (checkering, carry cuts, Novak sight cuts, etc.) prior to Hard Chrome. Best of luck!
When I had my LW Wiley Clapp Commander built I went with hard chrome for the frame. The frame had to be nickeled first to give the HC a surface to adhere to but it looks and holds up great. Of course, it only comes in silver so if your slide is blued your gun will be two tone.

·
Premium Member
17,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, but hard chrome on Alloy means two finishes, because you can't hard chrome straight on alloy. I love HD
When I had my LW Wiley Clapp Commander built I went with hard chrome for the frame. The frame had to be nickeled first to give the HC a surface to adhere to but it looks and holds up great. Of course, it only comes in silver so if your slide is blued your gun will be two tone.

Used to two tones, I'm still trying to talk a friend out of his Hoag Mastergrade. I miss them.

However how long did you use the WC for? Have much use? This will be a working pistol so I'd like to know how the Chrome over Nickel held up...

·
7,829 Posts
Thanks, but hard chrome on Alloy means two finishes, because you can't hard chrome straight on alloy. I love HD

Used to two tones, I'm still trying to talk a friend out of his Hoag Mastergrade. I miss them.

However how long did you use the WC for? Have much use? This will be a working pistol so I'd like to know how the Chrome over Nickel held up...
The having both nickel and chrome isn't an issue, they're both so thin you can't tell that the frame is coated, for example the checkering is still sharp and there's no build up anywhere, the rollmarks on the frame are still clean and perfectly legible. I've been carrying the gun since it was done, almost a year and a half, and there is no wear on the frame finish, which is the best part of hard chrome - the way it holds up. I've had guns that were HC'd in the '80s that still looked great.

Here is my WC before it was built-

Here it is afterwards, you an see that the printing on the slide and the checkering are still clean and sharp, not muddled or filled in, no build up. Mahovsky's did the plating on it.

·
7,829 Posts
I’m interested in this as well. Is DLC an option?
Yes, aluminum can be coated with DLC. That's great stuff, too, I have two steel guns that were done by Ionbond.

Reactions: Spokes

·
Premium Member
8,151 Posts
Reactions: 41 Charlie

·
Premium Member
17,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The having both nickel and chrome isn't an issue, they're both so thin you can't tell that the frame is coated, for example the checkering is still sharp and there's no build up anywhere, the rollmarks on the frame are still clean and perfectly legible. I've been carrying the gun since it was done, almost a year and a half, and there is no wear on the frame finish, which is the best part of hard chrome - the way it holds up. I've had guns that were HC'd in the '80s that still looked great.

Here is my WC before it was built-

Here it is afterwards, you an see that the printing on the slide and the checkering are still clean and sharp, not muddled or filled in, no build up. Mahovsky's did the plating on it.

OK, can you post a contact please?

There is only one trick with nickel, done badly and there are problems. However your pistol looks really sharp.

·
7,829 Posts
OK, can you post a contact please?

There is only one trick with nickel, done badly and there are problems. However your pistol looks really sharp.
We used Mahovsky's for that gun, they've been around for decades, prices and turn around times are reasonable, and they had done work for me before - www.mahovskysmetalife.com/

Ford's will also hard chrome aluminum. I've never used them but they have an excellent reputation - https://fordsguns.com/

Nice, where is ionbond please?
Ionbond has facilities in NC and NH. They were the first big company doing DLC on guns so the company name is kind of synonymous with DLC, like Kleenex and tissues, even though there are other companies that do DLC on guns. For actual Ionbond you have to go through on of their agents, like Evolution Armory. Both of these guns were done by Ionbond. It's important to understand that with DLC, like bluing, how it looks in the end depends on how the metal is prepped. The polish work on the first one was done by the gunsmith that built it.

·
7,829 Posts
I've used Cerakote on aluminum frames with good luck.
Some folks swear by Cerakote but the finishes showed holster wear on high spots and corners pretty quickly on guns I've had that were Cerakoted.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Anodizing it would be the best route IMO
Yes on all of my builds that utilize the aluminum frame this this the most durable finish. It is a specialized finish and is much more robust that the commercial much thinner and not certified types. Aluminum Frame/Hard Anodized-MIL-A-8625F is the best finish imho for an aluminum frame. Due the due diligence and understand the differences, In the long run it is much more durable that a "mil spec type" if you will.

Reactions: DWdude

·
Get off my lawn...
17,465 Posts
We used Mahovsky's for that gun, they've been around for decades, prices and turn around times are reasonable, and they had done work for me before - www.mahovskysmetalife.com/

Ford's will also hard chrome aluminum. I've never used them but they have an excellent reputation - https://fordsguns.com/

Ionbond has facilities in NC and NH. They were the first big company doing DLC on guns so the company name is kind of synonymous with DLC, like Kleenex and tissues, even though there are other companies that do DLC on guns. For actual Ionbond you have to go through on of their agents, like Evolution Armory. Both of these guns were done by Ionbond. It's important to understand that with DLC, like bluing, how it looks in the end depends on how the metal is prepped. The polish work on the first one was done by the gunsmith that built it.

Damn... I’m first in line, if you ever want to sell those Giraffe bone grips!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.