best glove to protect hand

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by boatdoc, Oct 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    now that the surgery is over for the right hand,I am searching for THE BEST impact /recoil absorbing ,fingerless glove to use once I can shoot again. never want to go through this again(see "carpal tunnel anyone"thread for details.so far this looks the best:

https://www.mechanix.com/m-pact-fingerless-covert-fingerless-tactical-gloves

I welcome opinions and suggestions from my fellow addicts

2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I’ve used the Mechanix gloves for many years. They work well, but there are better impact absorbing gloves available. Many choices available from Grainger. I used Mechanix brand gloves with thumb, index and middle fingers cut off for years. They work well. Impactco gloves are great as well. Keep in mind, any of these glove choices may drive you to a shorter trigger or thin grips dip it to the added palm thickness.

Many choices of you search “impact gloves” on the Grainger website

https://www.grainger.com/category/safety-gloves-and-hand-protection-impact-resistant-and-anti-vibration-gloves/ecatalog/N-op3/Ntt-Impact+gloves?sst=subset&ts_optout=true#nav=/category/impact-resistant-and-anti-vibration-gloves/gloves-and-hand-protection/safety/ecatalog/N-op3Z1z03k22/Ntt-Impact+gloves?sst=subset&ts_optout=true

Mike A, WWB, UBOATDOC and 2 others like this.

3. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    This is my current favorite for a fingerless glove but it is hard getting a good grip. Comes off Tuesday and is replaced with a splint for a month. Arthritis surgery.

DFBC73C0-214A-4761-890A-BA30ECAE1744.jpeg

UBOATDOC, boatdoc and limbkiller like this.
  4. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    Awwww, that looks uncomfortable

boatdoc and BigJimP like this.
  5. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Hadn’t thought of Grainger for gloves, I get my corn cob media from them for tumbling.

The first week was the worst, when this is all healed I get to do my left hand, too. But that will be a walk in the park in comparison.

boatdoc likes this.
  6. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    I can only imagine. I’ve has s few surgeries, but not hand. A heck of a lot of nerves there

boatdoc likes this.
  7. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Wow, good luck with the recovery !

boatdoc and UBOATDOC like this.
  8. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    sound good--thanks Bender

9. BigJimP

Mar 12, 2018
    In terms of gloves....there are a lot of "cycling" and "batting" gloves on the market as well....and you may find some of them more suitable ...and they might give you a better grip. A good sporting goods store, cycling store ...something like REI...is a good place to look at some options.

Part of making your hands feel better is keeping them warm ( at least in my case ) ....so I will sometimes shoot with a pair of Footjoy winter raingrip golf gloves -- they come in pairs, they're a high tech fibre, they breathe well .. ( I don't like the leather ones )...and they will still allow you to have a good solid feel of gun, pickup rounds for loading, etc... ( there is no padding in them to reduce recoil )...easy velcro closing on the back of the hand...

But you may have to try 2 or 3 different pairs or types of gloves to find the right one....

Steve Owens and boatdoc like this.
  10. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015

sorry to see that I have company. good luck with your recovery. I have 12 weeks in a splint then another 3months before good healing is achieved

IMG_1230 (1).JPG

IMG_1235 (1).JPG

UBOATDOC likes this.
  11. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    Slowly, yet surely healing.

boatdoc likes this.
  12. UBOATDOC

Apr 5, 2015
    Time for some air gun practice or break out the .223 poodle shooters.

boatdoc likes this.
  13. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    me too --we are brother in arms...well hands actually. my surgery will fix a lot of issues and the associated pain. sadly the PT office that I am forced to use,misfit and misformed the splint which I have to use. only needed 6 pain pills post op. have used one every 4-6 hours since PT damaged my hand--and it still does not hurt near the surgery sites--only where they caused me to have pain needlessly and carelessly

14. BigJimP

Mar 12, 2018
    damn man, I need to quit whining just because my hands hurt...

I hope you have a good recovery !!

UBOATDOC and boatdoc like this.
  15. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    when possible,I plan to shoot 22lr rifles first

limbkiller and UBOATDOC like this.
  16. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    thanks a lot

17. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    slow is the right word.tendons heal VERY slowly

hurts not to be able to shoot--such is the gun addicts lament

UBOATDOC likes this.
  18. UBOATDOC

Apr 5, 2015
    :):p:roflmaro:may have to get some professional help with the frapping also....sorry....just had put it out there......or maybe mink padding for those splints?

boatdoc likes this.
  19. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I don’t use gloves to shoot but I do wear gloves when I ride and I have a set of Harley padded gloves for ride comfort and the only place where there is padding is the palm. No padding anywhere else to interfere with trigger and finger grip. Also they are not leather but a nylon material.
    One other place I used to buy gloves for work, a lot if swinging a sledge hammer, was weight lifting gloves! Also padded but those hand no fingers or thumb and also only had padding in the palm area. They were leather palm side and like a fishnet sticking back side do your hands did not get sweaty! If I can locate pictures I’ll add them because I still have the gloves it’s just locating them????

boatdoc and UBOATDOC like this.
  20. UBOATDOC

Apr 5, 2015
    I stand corrected.....I think the proper medical terminology is fapping.

boatdoc likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted