1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now that the surgery is over for the right hand,I am searching for THE BEST impact /recoil absorbing ,fingerless glove to use once I can shoot again. never want to go through this again(see "carpal tunnel anyone"thread for details.so far this looks the best:

https://www.mechanix.com/m-pact-fingerless-covert-fingerless-tactical-gloves

I welcome opinions and suggestions from my fellow addicts

·
Premium Member
26,754 Posts
I’ve used the Mechanix gloves for many years. They work well, but there are better impact absorbing gloves available. Many choices available from Grainger. I used Mechanix brand gloves with thumb, index and middle fingers cut off for years. They work well. Impactco gloves are great as well. Keep in mind, any of these glove choices may drive you to a shorter trigger or thin grips dip it to the added palm thickness.

Many choices of you search “impact gloves” on the Grainger website

https://www.grainger.com/category/safety-gloves-and-hand-protection-impact-resistant-and-anti-vibration-gloves/ecatalog/N-op3/Ntt-Impact+gloves?sst=subset&ts_optout=true#nav=/category/impact-resistant-and-anti-vibration-gloves/gloves-and-hand-protection/safety/ecatalog/N-op3Z1z03k22/Ntt-Impact+gloves?sst=subset&ts_optout=true

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hadn’t thought of Grainger for gloves, I get my corn cob media from them for tumbling.

The first week was the worst, when this is all healed I get to do my left hand, too. But that will be a walk in the park in comparison.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve used the Mechanix gloves for many years. They work well, but there are better impact absorbing gloves available. Many choices available from Grainger. I used Mechanix brand gloves with thumb, index and middle fingers cut off for years. They work well. Impactco gloves are great as well. Keep in mind, any of these glove choices may drive you to a shorter trigger or thin grips dip it to the added palm thickness.

Many choices of you search “impact gloves” on the Grainger website

https://www.grainger.com/category/safety-gloves-and-hand-protection-impact-resistant-and-anti-vibration-gloves/ecatalog/N-op3/Ntt-Impact+gloves?sst=subset&ts_optout=true#nav=/category/impact-resistant-and-anti-vibration-gloves/gloves-and-hand-protection/safety/ecatalog/N-op3Z1z03k22/Ntt-Impact+gloves?sst=subset&ts_optout=true
sound good--thanks Bender

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
In terms of gloves....there are a lot of "cycling" and "batting" gloves on the market as well....and you may find some of them more suitable ...and they might give you a better grip. A good sporting goods store, cycling store ...something like REI...is a good place to look at some options.

Part of making your hands feel better is keeping them warm ( at least in my case ) ....so I will sometimes shoot with a pair of Footjoy winter raingrip golf gloves -- they come in pairs, they're a high tech fibre, they breathe well .. ( I don't like the leather ones )...and they will still allow you to have a good solid feel of gun, pickup rounds for loading, etc... ( there is no padding in them to reduce recoil )...easy velcro closing on the back of the hand...

But you may have to try 2 or 3 different pairs or types of gloves to find the right one....

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is my current favorite for a fingerless glove but it is hard getting a good grip. Comes off Tuesday and is replaced with a splint for a month. Arthritis surgery.

View attachment 163983

sorry to see that I have company. good luck with your recovery. I have 12 weeks in a splint then another 3months before good healing is achieved

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
IMG_1230 (1).JPG

IMG_1235 (1).JPG

Reactions: UBOATDOC

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hadn’t thought of Grainger for gloves, I get my corn cob media from them for tumbling.

The first week was the worst, when this is all healed I get to do my left hand, too. But that will be a walk in the park in comparison.
me too --we are brother in arms...well hands actually. my surgery will fix a lot of issues and the associated pain. sadly the PT office that I am forced to use,misfit and misformed the splint which I have to use. only needed 6 pain pills post op. have used one every 4-6 hours since PT damaged my hand--and it still does not hurt near the surgery sites--only where they caused me to have pain needlessly and carelessly

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Slowly, yet surely healing.
slow is the right word.tendons heal VERY slowly

hurts not to be able to shoot--such is the gun addicts lament

Reactions: UBOATDOC

·
THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER
2,390 Posts
:):p:roflmaro:may have to get some professional help with the frapping also....sorry....just had put it out there......or maybe mink padding for those splints?

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,776 Posts
I don’t use gloves to shoot but I do wear gloves when I ride and I have a set of Harley padded gloves for ride comfort and the only place where there is padding is the palm. No padding anywhere else to interfere with trigger and finger grip. Also they are not leather but a nylon material.
One other place I used to buy gloves for work, a lot if swinging a sledge hammer, was weight lifting gloves! Also padded but those hand no fingers or thumb and also only had padding in the palm area. They were leather palm side and like a fishnet sticking back side do your hands did not get sweaty! If I can locate pictures I’ll add them because I still have the gloves it’s just locating them????

1 - 20 of 32 Posts