1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, even though my range is open and I'm able to practice a couple of times weekly, I'm still going a bit stir crazy. The current dilemma is which grips should my Springfield Professional wear? FWIW, this is my EDC.

Blue Maple Burl grips by Lone Rider Custom Grips

Box Elder Burl by High Figure Grips

Black & Grey Slants by VZ

Ivory by Nutmeg (pre-ban)

Walnut Burl by Sarge, the FinerGrain

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I’m no help, I am indecisive, have too many grips for each of my guns and I really like most of the options you have presented. I have changed them on my Pro a ton of times but keep going back to the originals. I think it just looks right and they are grippy enough. I do have these on order from Bob which will be a fancy pair for my pro. Anxiously waiting to see how they will look on it
AED69B0A-043C-474C-BB53-C90E7598F058.jpeg

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The best grips I have ever used for shooting a .45 1911 are XS Shredder Palm Swell grips. Lots of grip AND very comfortable. I have pretty big hands, hence the palm swells.
Of those you shared with us I would go with the VZ Slants just for the traction.
Jeff

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While I definitely understand the need for traction, there are circumstances that mitigate the desirability of high-traction grips. The most common issue is the raw spot in my backside during the good weather months.

Another issue that I have personally is a severe case of eczema. Years of treatment for the eczema have left my hands a weird combination of soft, brittle and prone to spitting open. A couple of weeks ago, my support hand was bleeding all over the gun after ripping it open during recoil. As a result to protect my hands, I focus on excellent front strap checkering and forego the traction on the grip panels.

FWIW, I tried out a set of Techwell Palm Swell grips a couple of years ago and didn't like them at all.

The best grips I have ever used for shooting a .45 1911 are XS Shredder Palm Swell grips. Lots of grip AND very comfortable. I have pretty big hands, hence the palm swells.
Of those you shared with us I would go with the VZ Slants just for the traction.
Jeff

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While I'm familiar with the sentiment, but I've never subscribed to it. I have a friend that thinks a work should look like a work truck. Why, I haven't a clue.

Some years ago, after I switched to STI & NHC for my competition guns, I sent my SA Trophy Match to the SA Custom Shop and had them convert it to a carry gun of sorts; bobtailed with polished flats. I was into bobtails in those days. Crazy? No doubt, but it runs as good as it looks.

The Pro is a business gun and IMO needs business grips. Of those choices, 100% the VZs.

Reactions: RIS

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have the same problem right now. I have a Professional Operator on the way in the next couple of days. I really want a new/slightly used set of 10-8 signature grips but can’t find any. My prior pro had gunner grips and after 200-300 rounds my hands were bleeding. I don’t really want to deal with that again. And by the way, I work with my hands daily so that was not the issue. I solved it 9 years ago by sanding the grips a little. Front/rear strap checkering was not the problem. Anyone have the 10-8 grips I will pay you a good price for them.... I know VZ has something similar but not the same set up.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
OF,
Sounds like aggressive grips don't work for you. In that case a nice set of spiffy wood grips is in order! Please let us know which ones you go with.
Jeff

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i had the same issue with the Trophy Match, even though that was before the eczema problems.
The edges and checkering on the Trophy Match were extremely raw and aggressive out of the box. Seems that the painted TRPs needed some extra finishing work before they were painted that the Trophy Match didn't get. I spent some quality time with a vibrating sander and 180 grit paper dulling all of the edges as well as taking the tops off the front strap checkering.

Had the same issue with some golf ball grips i got from NHC for my Talon. Great if you were wearing gloves. Awful other wise. FWIW, I too worked with my hands for decades, so they were plenty tough. After 20 years of retirement, they naturally softened up. Then Lady Eczema arrived and it got a whole lot worse.

I'm drawn to these, but I'm trying to find a set with the thin profile and that always complicates things.

Reactions: colrhino

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tried to upload an image of the grips I'm looking at but the server doesn't want to connect to it tonight. Maybe in the morning after it's had some java. :bang:

·
Registered
760 Posts
I think they all look great but I think the magwell grips look best with the magwell With that being said I think I would use VZ grips if it is a working gun. I would hate to get a ding or a scratch in those beautiful grips! I've got Wicked grips on a couple guns that I don't really carry much, but when I decide to carry them, I swap out the grips for something in G10. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them sir!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Life is too short for an ugly gun

That's been a motto of mine for years. One of several reasons I'm not fond of Glocks, although I'll admit that we do have a few. :bag:

OTOH, I don't believe in safe queens, nor garage queens. People often asked me why I let my Rottweiler in my immaculate Mercedes S-Class. Simple, she went with me everywhere. Yes, life for a carry gun results in visible wear and tear on finish of the gun. The finish on my Springfield Pro is showing scratches and wear from the holster. Then, so is my wife's NHC Lady Hawk. Oh well.

As a matter of fact, so are she & I! :pirate: Sadly, it's been years since some sweet young thing threw her arms around me in a fit of passion, though I remember it well. :) Seems to go with the territory of being in our 70's.

As beautiful as a new gun looks to most people, I find the look of a well worn high quality 1911 to be similar to a work of fine art - there is a lot invested in the gun to get there, and says something about the taste and experience of its owner.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just got my Pro Operator today. Don’t know what to do either. I like all that you posted but think the high figure grips or the ivory look the best.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi folks. It's interesting that the 'votes' strictly on appearance seem to be almost evenly split, with a small majority preferring ivory. While a number of you suggest G10 grips such as VZ, I have several sets of VZ grips, but they aren't what I want for this particular gun for practical reasons I've already explained.

However, not all is lost. Personally, I'm really drawn to the look of ivory grips on a black or blued 1911. I know I'm in good company there as Ken Hackathorn seems to feel the same way. While I already have the ivory grips, they are standard thickness and I'm looking for a thin set. I'm told that I could have the ivory grips 'thinned' but I'm not certain that's the best solution, and it's definitely a one-way path.

It's looking like the solution is for the Pro is in the works. I spent some time on the phone with a very nice lady at Nutmeg Sports this afternoon, the same outfit that made the elephant ivory grips years ago in the photo above. They'll be making a custom set of grips for the Pro out of giraffe bone. They should look similar to the ivory, but they'll be thin and include a few other personal details for me. ETA is about 3 weeks. I'll post some new photos then.

These are the grips that I was trying to post last night. They are lovely in my eye, but the maker hasn't replied to me, so it's not working out to have a set made to my specs.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I'm betting that you spoke with Emily at Nutmeg.
She is Jim's daughter and is the one who will make your grips.
I'm sure you will love them! She is a very talented grip maker.

She did these out of a chunk of mammoth ivory I supplied.
20200401_153706.jpg

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, I talked to Emily. Should be another week or so.

Very nice Nighthawk. I love the finish. I've got an itch to make the trip to Thunder Ranch and annoy Clint. Frustratingly, the class I want to take conflicts with the IDPA state match. :cry:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts