close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best place for a honeymoon......Hawaii or somewhere else?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wrx04, Sep 18, 2011.

1. wrx04

wrx04 Member

Aug 24, 2011
    I'm getting married next June, and am looking for a nice place for the honeymoon. We've been thinking Hawaii is the ultimate, and have heard nothing but good things. The problem is.....its EXPENSIVE. For a 9 night trip, we are probably looking at close to $10k when you consider airfare/hotel/food/etc... Is it worth it?

My parents are gonna be giving us a very nice gift of $5k, which will take up a huge chunk of the price, but we might be able to get an all inclusive in the carribean for 5-6k. I have also heard many good things about these all inclusive resorts. The only thing that has me leaning Hawaii is we wont get it for this cheap again.

We can afford the extra 5k i guess, but we are really trying to pay down student loans and get our savings built up for our next house, so the less $$$ we spend, the better.

Basically, do you think Hawaii is worth the extra money, or do you have any other suggestions for a nice place to go to? Thanks.

2. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Been to HI, and it's great.

But damn, 10K, that's like 3-4 semi-custom 1911s. Tell her you'll take her to Canada for the honeymoon. :pound:

When I had went, it was only about 4K for a 7 nights there. Check with a travel agent for a package deal?

3. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    PUERTO RICO... FTMFW!!!! Seriously check it out. Beautiful place.

4. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Puerto Rico is nice. My former sister in-law got married there and i had a blast.
    the Dominican is nice. i was there a few years ago.

my first honeymoon was to Switzerland.

5. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Costa Rica!!!

6. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    Dominican Republic is also another beautiful place. Don't know diddly about Costa Rica

7. wrx04

wrx04 Member

Aug 24, 2011
    fnfalman:pound:

I am looking with an agent, and the prices are freakin' ridic. The flight alone is running us about 2k, and we said we wanted the upgraded oceanview room no matter what. I started looking at Sandals resorts in the bahamas, and thats running about $8k with airfare and 9 night all inclusive. HI is running ~8k for air/hotel....we'd probably drop at least 1-2k in food/drinks i would think.

I havent even considered PR. Might have to look into it.

8. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011

:pound:

9. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    If HI, save almost half and stay across the street from the ocean view.

10. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    We went to Aruba. HIGHLY recommend. :thumb:

11. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    For a great time with lower cost, try Mexico,

We've been to Cabo San Lucs, Pueto Vallarta, Cancun, Cozumel, and Playa Del Carmen.

If it were me, I'd stay at The Royal in Playa with a 2nd choice being The Royal in Cancun.

Awesome service, with the magic box, you never have to leave the room, or talk to anyone, even the room-service folks.

http://www.realresorts.com/The_Royal_Playa_Carmen/

Check the reviews at Trip Advisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...armen-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

12. EdMac87

EdMac87 Active Member

Sep 1, 2011
    I'd save the 5-10k and just stay in states. You said your saving for a home and paying down student loans. Take advantage of the wedding money to do those things. I personally can't get myself to spend anywhere near that on something that isn't a tangible item.

Brian

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  13. *NOVA*

*NOVA* Member

Sep 11, 2011
    18th floor Marriot.jpg
    Might sound old fashioned, but Niagara Falls, Ontario - if you've never seen them is a traditional Honeymoon spot, but its still awesome! Attachment is a view of the falls from our hotel room at the Marriott

14. JeffD

JeffD New Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Been to Hawaii and its awesome. I'm not sure I would spend that much money though (we use airline and hotel points for travel). I've been to Aruba and will definitely being going back someday. There are many islands in the Caribbean that look nice and shouldn't be as expensive.

15. Gunshine

Gunshine New Member

Aug 29, 2011
    A man has got to have his priority's in order. :grin:

16. 4 Glocker

4 Glocker New Member

Sep 2, 2011
    I going to the airport in 10 minutes to pickup my son who was in Maui for 6 days and stayed at the Four Seasons Hotel. He said it all he expected and better. He earned the trip through his company, so no cost.

17. jericho76

jericho76 New Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Frankenmuth,MI:rofl2: Just kidding,its the worst place I've ever been. Try Florence,Italy,if you want to score points with your new wife.

18. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Get married and go home. Honeymoons are a complete waste of money. 10,000 will get you a great safari in Africa. I only go somewhere to catch fish or shoot something. :biggrin1:

19. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    We went to St. Lucia and it was fantastic.
    Flip side, we went to Vegas for 4 days this summer and it was great too.

20. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    that's what my wife thought too. So she set up the date to get hitched at the court house which happened to be 19/11 (dd/mm). I thought she picked that day on purpose since she sees all my 1911 magazines/books around the house :lol:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted