1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first new 1911 after selling a few others I had in the 80's that I just gave up on a gun buying frenzy/selling for a decade or so. But then I loved the Les Baer TRS after I picked one up at the Nashville NRA a few years ago. Loved the thin grips and purchase on the gun and now have relatively thin VZ grips on some Dan Wesson Valkyries I got recently give a feel of controlling the gun very well. Got a Guncrafter NN with their shredder grips which are thick and it hindered my shooting. Got a pair of Esmeralda thin grips on put them on the Guncrafter which are great, but a bit thinner than the VZ's on the Dan Wessons.

So I am looking for some direction from addicts for some options for thin grips for the future. I have medium sized hands and I think the shape of the 1911 grip is a big deal. It helps me to shoot better. So other options would be welcome.

·
Registered
833 Posts
VZ Grips are excellent, any of the custom Gripmakers on the forum do fantastic work...
Of course the classifieds usually always have some available as well, so your options are really only limited by your imagination, and Internet browsing ability...

(Shameless plug, but I have a set for sale as well... LOL! Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Reactions: Colorado Sonny

·
resident crank
1,978 Posts
I have VZ's on several 1911's, but bought some Cool Hand grips recently just for something different when I took the slimlines off a new Dan Wesson Valor. I also have had some success with grips from Fusion Firearms, and RAASCO, mentioned above.

Don't forget new slimline grip bushings too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just put some LOK slim grips on my Wiley Clapp Stainless Commander. They fit good & the texture is very grippy. I bought the mayhem series.

·
resident crank
1,978 Posts
Smith and Alexander's website hasn't been updated since the Nixon administration, but many of their grips are available in Slimline, even though it doesn't say so. They can mail you an up to date catalog. And if you want to check how inflation has affected them, the 2002 grip price sheet is still posted.

http://www.smithandalexander.com/grips.html

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
4,940 Posts
Brian Challis does outstanding work.

·
Premium Member
3,298 Posts
I don't have a set of the slim VZ's but have tried them. Very nice feeling grip...

·
Registered
502 Posts
My hand like standard grips, but my fingers prefer the slim. I have both styles on several of my pistols. All from VZ so far.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Professional Pest, NRA Patron member
2,591 Posts
There's a lot of great choices out there. If you find that you really like the ones on your LB, call LB and get a non-logo set along with screws/bushings.
You'll find that many people have both a box of holsters that aren't quite what they wanted and another of grips that just didn't quite make the cut.
Best wishes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just put some LOK slim grips on my Wiley Clapp Stainless Commander. They fit good & the texture is very grippy. I bought the mayhem series.
Absolutely. I got a couple of sets of LOKs. Quality is just as good as VZs at about 30% less cost if I remember correctly. And he made a custom pair for me at no extra cost so I wouldn’t have to shop at VZ. He didn’t stock the comparable design that I wanted. So I sent him what I wanted and he made it. That’s good business management to me. Keep the customers from having to go to the competition.

·
Cranky old curmudgeon
1,282 Posts
Ahren's make some nice grips. The wait can be, uhhmmmmmm, measured in geologic time scales. Just my experience.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You can go on E-Bay and find many slim grips it depends on what you want to pay. You have to change the bushing and screws so to not mess up your mags.

·
Registered
66 Posts
SparkyAZ: Are those grips Cocobolo? They're absolutely gorgeous. I prefer Ahrends for my revolvers but for some reason didn't think about them for my 1911.

I may have to reconsider.

p.s. my wait on revolver grips has typically been about 2 months. I'm not sure if it's any different for 1911 grips.

p.s.s. Kim's customer service is great. My last set had a very small blemish that wasn't even his fault (the reseller smeared some ink on them), but he offered to take them back and refinish them at no charge.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts