1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys please read throughly, it is brief I promise.

I have a question (I also may rant a little) about which states are the best to move to that respect the second amendment? I may possibly want to move to a state that has good gun laws (i.e. a good preemption of local restrictions law, a state constitution that allows permitless conceal carrying, and protects gun owners and the 2A)

I am in the mid west as you all know. My state of Colorado has political situations that are increasingly questionable and our state constitution says little to protect gun rights.

And we have no state law or state constitution protections against local government infringement on gun ownership. We technically do have a preemption law for this, but the law was challenged, and the state supreme court said it could be ignored and local governments may enact any gun laws if they choose. I call BS on this.

So even though a law was passed saying only the state can pass gun laws and local municipalities cannot, they just ignore it.

I do not like this and may have to move states if things get worse, and just want to know which states are good candidates that respect and protect gun rights?

A list of possible states I studied and may consider: Arizona, Idaho, Texas(definitely), Wyoming, Utah, Kansas and New Mexico.

There other good states but they are too far for me.

Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

I love freedom, and I think most people do deep down.

Thank you!

Alexy

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would suggest Guntucky AKA Kentucky
I see it's not on your list.
Oh and for the record I don't read your brief post. :p
It was too long :p
Ah! It's ok friend. Just a rant if you wanted to read it. I am just concerned of preemption laws is all. Kentucky is very good from what I hear, and though it's not on my list, I still may consider :)

The list is just a rough draft anyway :roflmaro:

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Georgia ain't bad, but it ain't Kentucky.

Still need a carry permit, but the law says "must issue" if background check is clean.

Employment opportunities are also very good in all fields.

EDIT: FTF sales are wide open. Take a look at the for sale items on a local Georgia gun forum.

www.theoutdoorstrader.com

This isn't the only Georgia based forum, but seems to be the most active.

·
Get off my lawn...
14,649 Posts
Arizona, Idaho and Texas are moving left quickly. New Mexico is done for. Wyoming is really nice.
Yes, the States you would think would be gun friendly, are quickly turning left. I've always loved Arizona, and New Mexico. But things are changing quickly, in those southwestern States.

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,797 Posts
Arizona, Idaho and Texas are moving left quickly. New Mexico is done for. Wyoming is really nice.
Those lefties are going to find a pretty hard fight here in Texas regardless. Too many good old small town boys (like me) who don’t plan on giving anything up without a fight.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Edited my post above.

·
Kevin G
7,552 Posts
I am in the mid west as you all know. My state of Colorado has political situations that are increasingly questionable and our state constitution says little to protect gun rights.
Colorado will be beyond saving if we get another liberal Governor this next election imo! Denver is already a "Sanctuary City" and the old political saying of "demography is destiny" is rapidly proving itself true! The only good thing coming out of it is: There are so many disaffected California transplants moving here that property values around Denver are at a premium. I like Wyoming but it's way too windy. I think I'd be looking to Kentucky or Tennessee!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Okay I see your points. But I do not see how these states are going "left".

Arizona, Idaho, Texas all have good gun laws from what I see and the governors are all Republican (this doesn't guarantee they are pro gun though)

But I see some of them have state constitutions that protect gun rights and their constitutions actually say no local governments may restrict guns or ammo or accessories.

This is very good in my opinion, if a state's constitution actually says this.

·
Colt 1911 Government
498 Posts
Georgia ain't bad....

Still need a carry permit, but the law says "must issue" if background check is clean.

www.theoutdoorstrader.com
I can live with GA gun laws.
1) We are a Castle Doctrine State. This means that no gun permit is ever required when protecting your property (home, car, business).

2) Kentucky only adopted a watered down version of what is commonly known as the Castle Doctrine. They are good at basketball.

3) Kentucky officially declared its neutrality at the beginning of the War of Northern Aggression, and the legislature petitioned the Union Army for assistance. After early 1862 Kentucky came largely under Union control.

4) Kentucky voted for a Clinton (twice).

5) I have a permit which allows me to buy a gun without a back ground check (they've already checked me twice). This is for new gun sales.

I have a perfect feedback score on ODT (OutDoorTrader.com). It's a great place to buy, trade, and sell among Georgia citizens. The seller gets a fairer deal as well as a buyer.

It's 10 times better than Gun Broker since you get to see and handle the gun. ODT charges no fees. And twice as good to the Constitutional Rights as Kentucky to the 2A.

Just my opinion. :grin:

·
THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER
2,336 Posts
So far, New Mexico has not enacted any new restrictive laws. While it typically votes Demo....the state in general is not too bad....yet. In terms of where to go from here...uh...not sure. Maybe North a little like Utah, Wyoming or dare I say right turn into Texas(wife does not like it)I am happy I moved here from Marylandistan. Not just for the 2A. But I got tired of the literal "1984" crap of facial recognition cameras at toll booths, incredibly high taxes, miniature demagogic bureaucracies such as the state DMV and I am most definitely law abiding. That along with all the extra registries for my guns.....and I am glad to have the place in the rear view mirror. Maybe just somewhere in rural New Mexico and lay low until the next not so civil war.

·
THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER
2,336 Posts
And congratulations AZ for electing a Republican Debbie Lesko. Though it was "hard fought" according to the liberal press BS....she actually beat her opponent by 10% +/-. I doubt AZ will slide left....too many escapees from Kalifornia and actual adults who give a damn about their country as well as retirees. I am going to be busy working on Steve Pearce's campaign here in NM as the only GOP candidate running against the typical idiotic Demo derby of left wing slackers and Obama idolizers. We have a Republican governor who is a true rarity, female and Hispanic and she has done a good job, but is at the end of her term. New Mexico is a bit of an enigma in that it receives lots of DOD money, has several military bases and needs an economic jump start, yet they sometimes get played by these enablers who promise everything and give nothing. Albuquerque is a bit problematic as it really needs a firm hand with respect to policing(we simply need many more cops), but just reaffirmed itself "immigrant friendly"(not the same crap as in Oakland or even Santa Fe where they are sanctuaries.....and I guess this status(not really law) has been noted years before and now that we have a new Demo mayor, he just felt compelled to get his name in the paper. Albuquerque has a violent crime issue in certain areas of town, yet CCW laws are very prominent here and I am certain lots of my fellow citizens are packing. I get real frustrated with UNM which is downtown and in a bad section of town and just does not have a good handle on keeping the campus safe for the attendees. Routinely, I get crime alerts from the campus. The academic leaders are hopeless in trying to handle this. My wife attends and I refuse to let her go after dark anywhere on the campus unless I am with her. We live a good distance away in a much more quiet area and it is pretty safe. It is about time that I both put a bug in Rep. Pearce's ear about campus safety and also some letters to the local paper that sane people are watching the crime statistics at the campus. Otherwise, NM is an open carry state and a shall issue state and I do not see that changing. I think they may have got excited about the "bump stock" situation, but otherwise we are good for now. Like the majority of Addicts, I don't carry openly. I think that is more for the ranchers/farmers in the rural areas and not so much in town anyway. I am mildly concerned as we have had a bit of an uptick in escapees from Kalifornia and I can only hope they moved here for good reasons and did not bring the "Cali tude" with them.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And congratulations AZ for electing a Republican Debbie Lesko. Though it was "hard fought" according to the liberal press BS....she actually beat her opponent by 10% +/-. I doubt AZ will slide left....too many escapees from Kalifornia and actual adults who give a damn about their country as well as retirees. I am going to be busy working on Steve Pearce's campaign here in NM as the only GOP candidate running against the typical idiotic Demo derby of left wing slackers and Obama idolizers. We have a Republican governor who is a true rarity, female and Hispanic and she has done a good job, but is at the end of her term. New Mexico is a bit of an enigma in that it receives lots of DOD money, has several military bases and needs an economic jump start, yet they sometimes get played by these enablers who promise everything and give nothing. Albuquerque is a bit problematic as it really needs a firm hand with respect to policing(we simply need many more cops), but just reaffirmed itself "immigrant friendly"(not the same crap as in Oakland or even Santa Fe where they are sanctuaries.....and I guess this status(not really law) has been noted years before and now that we have a new Demo mayor, he just felt compelled to get his name in the paper. Albuquerque has a violent crime issue in certain areas of town, yet CCW laws are very prominent here and I am certain lots of my fellow citizens are packing. I get real frustrated with UNM which is downtown and in a bad section of town and just does not have a good handle on keeping the campus safe for the attendees. Routinely, I get crime alerts from the campus. The academic leaders are hopeless in trying to handle this. My wife attends and I refuse to let her go after dark anywhere on the campus unless I am with her. We live a good distance away in a much more quiet area and it is pretty safe. It is about time that I both put a bug in Rep. Pearce's ear about campus safety and also some letters to the local paper that sane people are watching the crime statistics at the campus. Otherwise, NM is an open carry state and a shall issue state and I do not see that changing. I think they may have got excited about the "bump stock" situation, but otherwise we are good for now. Like the majority of Addicts, I don't carry openly. I think that is more for the ranchers/farmers in the rural areas and not so much in town anyway. I am mildly concerned as we have had a bit of an uptick in escapees from Kalifornia and I can only hope they moved here for good reasons and did not bring the "Cali tude" with them.
Yes your point is great! Doesn't matter, male or female, race doesn't matter. I like the governor and hope you get another good one. I am glad things are going smoothly for NM. I'm sorry for the crime, and this is why we have concealed carry.

I may consider NM as is is a very beautiful state and from what you describe it's good for gun rights.

Do everything you can to keep NM American!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I love Kansas. I have lived all over the US and definitely feel the laws here are more protective of my rights than restrictive. I also like cruising with my SBR in the truck.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I love Kansas. I have lived all over the US and definitely feel the laws here are more protective of my rights than restrictive. I also like cruising with my SBR in the truck.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Awesome man! And Kansas is right next door to my state!

I will consider Kansas. It's about a 5 or 6 hour drive for me, but I don't mind. I even considered Oklahoma which surprisingly borders my state a little bit.

By the way that photo made my mouth water! Makes my AR look like an airsoft.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
No one has mentioned my state of Montana. We've had open carry forever. CC does require a permit, but pretty sure its simply a funding thing. Here as long as what you do doesn't infringe on someone else, you're not gonna get a second look. This is especially true east of the divide. (Big sigh) west of the divide, where I live, the lefties are moving in in droves. Can't understand why, lots of rednecks (like me) here and I carry 24/7, always have and always will. If I were moving I'd seriously consider Kentucky or Kansas. tho montana, texas and Arizona rank high with me too

1 - 20 of 24 Posts