1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice or recommendations for best/strongest magnet to hang/conceal full size autoloader in home or office.

I bought a magnet from Midway USA and it barely holds the gun and it spins around - not a good choice.

Any advice is appreciated

Regards
JMV375

·
Wrinkled Member
977 Posts
Can't offer advice on magnet, but do not mount it above the trash can. A member from another forum accidentally threw his desk gun away when it fell from the magnet into the trash.

PS. Harbor Freight? Check out the ceramic magnets.

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
4,980 Posts
Try K&J Magnetics, they sell various sizes, shapes and weights of magnets.

Reactions: Colorado Sonny

·
Max Otto von Stierlitz
2,419 Posts
Baboonbobo is spot on the mark. They can be dangerous - crush warnings of broken bones in your hand, if not handled properly. I’ve got a couple 3/8-inch ones that come with a plastic insert between them in order to keep them separated a sufficient distance (or otherwise, you’d never get them apart).

I put one in my vehicle to mount a pistol in an accessible location (but out of sight - as required by Texas law). I used one that would hold three or four times the weight of the loaded pistol in order to account for ‘g-forces’ caused by driving on bumpy roads (yet still easy to pull the pistol away from the single contact point on the slide). Covered with Gorilla duct tape so as to not scratch up the slide. Going on my third year without any problems using this configuration.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I gave this method a lot of thought but ended up going with a Blackhawk Serpa holster and the QD system. It keeps a holstered gun in a specific location.
I use 1 under a desk with a S&W J-Frame and I have 1 mounted in a UTV. I can switch between guns due to the system design. I don’t have any pics of either setup and I’m not in the vicinity to get pics at this time.
It’s just a thought.

ETA;

https://www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-SERPA-Quick-Disconnect-Female/dp/B004T0YTD6

here’s the QD system

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,480 Posts
Yep, rare earth magnets are the ticket. Food companies use them in grain handling facilities to pick up any metal in raw grain. They are amazing what they pick up. It is very rare for one of the in process and packaging metal detectors to find and reject product. But imagine a 2 ft x 2 ft magnet over a belt conveying 180,000 lbs / hr of grain and getting 99.999999% of tramp metal out of it. Some powerful stuff.

·
Never Forget
9,017 Posts
Can't offer advice on magnet, but do not mount it above the trash can. A member from another forum accidentally threw his desk gun away when it fell from the magnet into the trash.

PS. Harbor Freight? Check out the ceramic magnets.
Instead of a truck gun.... trash can gun.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I use a GO magnet to hold my TRP inside a concealed steel box (fake distribution panel). The magnet has a rubber coating to prevent scratches, and holds the heavy pistol solidly in place with a satisfying “clunk”.

Same magnet also easily holds my XDs while it’s in a kydex holster.

IMG_8109.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Apex magnets sells all kinds, might be worth a look.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I've thought about the gun falling off and into the garbage can on and off all day! Wow that sucks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts