Better Than Nothing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arkie, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    When I got my permit to carry concealed, I worried about how little practice I had, and wondered if I should even be carrying a gun.

I don’t have much confidence in my ability to draw quickly, but if I wait until I’m flawless, I’ll never have my gun with me.
    I may still be practicing on how sights work, but if I wait until I can consistently drill two rounds through the same hole, I’ll never have my gun with me.

I may not ever be tacti-cool enough to keep moving while reloading and firing but if I wait to carry until I am, I’ll never have my gun with me.
    I may not be as aware of my surroundings as I should be, but if I wait until I’m free of other distractions, I’ll never have my gun with me.

I may never have the time to train to reach any of the above goals, much less all of them, but if I wait until I do, I’ll never have my gun with me.
    Some say having a gun makes you a target. Some say having a gun serves as a deterrent. If I waited until that debate was settled (including my internal one), I’d never have my gun with me.

And don’t even get me started on the caliber wars.
    Some of us come late to the realization that the only ones we can count on to keep us safe are ourselves. So we open our eyes, and we travel that road – all with different starting places, and going at difference paces. But as long as I’m making progress, however slow, I’ll keep plodding along. Because no matter how much I have to learn, or how much I need to improve, I’ll keep carrying my gun. Because something is better than nothing.

2. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Slow is fast... :thumb: Ron

3. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    ^ That.

Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast. Fast is fine. Accuracy is Final. <---- There's every bit of truth in that old saying.

You have to begin somewhere - but where you end up is completely up to you: there's no limit unless you want there to be.

I can always shoot better. I can always shoot faster. I can always draw faster and move quicker. The learning never stops.

4. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    Love it, Arkie! Great post!

5. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Great post Arkie. I don't train much but have carried a gun for years. I do look around a bunch though and don't let strangers get close to me. Hell I carried a gun for years without a permit but got busted once so I went and got my permit. Just carry and you are way ahead of the game and have a plan that will allow you to kill anybody you meet.

6. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    The mental preparedness is 90% of the game.

Being ready, mentally prepared, telling yourself what you'll do when something happens, that's the big stuff in my experience.

If you read interviews with guys who have had to use deadly force, a lot of the real winning stuff they say revolves around, "I was already ready to do it. I had thought about it and prepared myself."

Normally I'm more articulate than that, but those are my two cents. :smilie:

Andy

7. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I must admit I "borrowed" that from the women's firearms blog "The Cornered Cat". If you have any female aquaintances with the least interest in firearms or self-defense, bring it to their attention.

http://corneredcat.com/

Bob

8. paid4c4

paid4c4 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 26, 2011
    Just remember when death and mayhem is only seconds from taking place the police are only minutes away! After reading your post I think my most recent thread was started at a poor time, but it is what it is.
    Bill

9. MY-1911

MY-1911 Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Now- That was good.

10. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Just yesterday i was at work in an upstairs office when a gentleman came in looking for work. The secretary went downstairs to greet him and I overheard why he was there. He then asked for a tour of the place. I went to a different place at that point (mentally) and realized I needed to be where I could see and hear what was going on. I stayed out of sight, and was poised to draw if needed. Not with hang on weapon, but mentally ready to do what I had to do. No, I don;t walk around itching to draw all day, but flags went up in this case. He seemed to think he was there alone with a young attractive female.
    Self awareness and mental preparedness are crucial.

11. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer New Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Hey limb,sometimes all ya got to go on is instinct. I say trust your instincts because i damn sure trust mine!

12. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I'll say this about daily carrying -just having a gun on my person has made me more situationally aware. Carrying has made me practice my draws more. I practice with my carry gun (P99 AS) every time I go to the range. I know the controls on it in pitch dark, and can point-shoot with surprising accuracy. I went through a dozen handguns and more holsters before finding the combination that worked for me. It isn't my favorite gun, but it is my favorite carry gun. And I'd never tell other people to get what I have!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted