1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I like the looks of the Colts that have the LARGE Letters on the roll mark. Just something about them I guess.

Can you all tell me when these were made, are they only in Series 70, and what would a good USED one go for today?

Thanks for the help.

Nalajr

·
Get off my lawn...
16,299 Posts
I believe these roll marks we're on the early 70 Series Colts. Pricing seems to vary by location, but I'd venture $900.00 to $1,200.00 based on condition, original box, etc.

That is one fine looking Pony, OP!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I think 76 or 77 was the last of them. I bought my 78 new in 78 and it has the small ones. I guess, however, you don't like the large rollmarks Colt did in the 90s.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
I think 76 or 77 was the last of them. I bought my 78 new in 78 and it has the small ones. I guess, however, you don't like the large rollmarks Colt did in the 90s.

I can confirm this. My 1974 and 1976 have the large text rollmarks, my 1979 has the smaller rollmark.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I like that large text, but when I first saw the thread title I thought you were referring to those 1991 billboard looking things that almost make me ashamed to let folks know I own/like Colts.

Bob

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Thought I would throw this out there in case anyone isn't familiar with the roll-mark size difference on these old Colt Series 70's. The larger logo is a 1976. The smaller is a 1979.

You can see the difference in the amount of blank space between the lettering / pony's head and the edge of the slide.

Office equipment Technology Office supplies Material property Machine

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Found a large letter 9mm colt at the local pawn shop today. Talk about a rare one...
So, when do we see pictures of your new acquisition?

Bob

Reactions: ZoidMeister

·
Good/Fast/Cheap
3,737 Posts
Guy is holding it for me til monday. I don't really desire another 9mm 1911, but I know guys that do. I have a feeling I'll end up facilitating the sale for one of my buddies.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,505 Posts
I've never heard the billboard style 1991A1s from the 90's called 'big letter' guns. I've always known them to be called 'ORM' (Old Rollmark) guns, as opposed to the later 1991s that many call 'NRM' (New Rollmark). Colt changed it in 2000.

A couple of mine-

As opposed to the far more popular and common NRM

Reactions: Whiskey Sour
1 - 19 of 19 Posts