1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning Guys/Gals.... I have been racking my brain trying to come up with a good topic and I think this is pretty fitting being I just picked up a revolver that ive waited a long time for.......only to find out.... IT WAS NOT WHAT I EXPECTED!!!!! with that being said...
Guys and Gals.... what is your most dissapointing/ dissatisfied pistol purchase?
Air gun Toy Trigger Gun barrel Machine gun
....... I believe this is mine... dont chew me out

·
Registered
Ask me about faith...
1,452 Posts
Good Morning Guys/Gals.... I have been racking my brain trying to come up with a good topic and I think this is pretty fitting being I just picked up a revolver that ive waited a long time for.......only to find out.... IT WAS NOT WHAT I EXPECTED!!!!! with that being said...
Guys and Gals.... what is your most dissapointing/ dissatisfied pistol purchase? View attachment 991247 ....... I believe this is mine... dont chew me out
So what's the issue other than recoil?

BTW, mine was a Kimber Royal carry several years ago.... That thing couldn't feed a full magazine if my life depended on it...soured me on the brand

·
Vendor
4,491 Posts
My very first 1911... See growing up shooting revolvers, all Dad had, I decided at about 18 I needed a proper bottom feeder, then naturally having a modicum of taste, that was a 1911. I had already at that point, procured my own first handgun that wasn't something Dad paid for, though naturally I could not have attained it without his help :) A S&W 28-2 Hwy Patrolman, beautiful boxed 6" 357 Magnum N Frame. That gun could do no wrong, great looks, great trigger, far more accurate than any handgun I had shot to that point. . . but back to the disappointment

I had done plenty of reading on the matter of 1911's, in regards to what stock pistol would best suit my needs, and be in my 18 year old tax bracket. I settled on The Springfield Armory 1911A1, the one I found at another gunshow I drug my old man to, was a Blued Standard model, with its original box, I think I gave $475 for it in about 2005... Lo and behold, I hated it!

Here's why, and naturally at 18, with no idea what to do about its shortcomings, I traded it down the river shortly thereafter and bought a Smith 25-2 to use up my 45 Ammo

-Pretty terrible Ergonomics/feel, gun had a GI grip safety, not an ounce of dehorning, it just was not fun to shoot or handle.
-Trigger was bad bad bad, see, shooting single action revolvers as my baseline probably spoiled me some in this regard
-Gun simply did not shoot that well, being used to 5-7.5" barreled revolvers with good sights, I was also used to setting up tin cans at 30-50 paces and clearing them relatively easily. . .this 1911 could not do that, in my hands, at that time

NOW, years on, I did eventually, buy this, a facsimile of that 'first' 1911 in my life, since now, I make a living from the platform. This gun, made in the year of my birth, still suffers from the issues of my first, and someday, I might fix that, or I might keep it the way it is to remember how far you can take one from its stock form, to functional art....

Air gun Trigger Revolver Wood Gun barrel
Air gun Trigger Wood Everyday carry Gun barrel

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[Q: 2494665, member: 11236"]
So, what disappointed you. Revolvers are pretty straight forward and utilitarian
[/QUOTE]
This my first revolver... I dont really have a pistol to compare it to.. Idk

·
Registered
424 Posts
-RIA GI 45, worst machining I have ever seen in one pistol;
-Les Baer, horrid barrel fit;
-Older Heritage revolver…diabolical timing;
-Colt New Frontier SA 22 LR single action revolver 18 shots, accuracy deteriorated from lead fouling worse than my Sile 1858 New Army revolver after the same number of shots. Only turning the cylinder was better on the Colt…a little bit;
-S&W 5” Pro9, they needed to finish the pistol design before producing it

·
Registered
185 Posts
Most disappointing pistol was my very first Glock. A G32 in .357Sig. I was a newer shooter and this was just a big mistake! Recoil really impacted my accuracy, especially shooting at speed. Should have gone with a Glock 19, which I eventually did.

·
Registered
751 Posts
my most disappointed firearm was the Taurus UL (ultra Lite) 856, 2.0" revolver, .38 special. man oh man those 38's running thru it gave me such aches and pains in my hands for days.

i dumped that one, then later picked up a Ruger GP 100 2.5:" steel revolver, and even shooting 357 magnums, it ain't as bad as that ultra lite Taurus.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think it was 1976 or 1977, I had saved for over a year and was finally getting my Smith and Wesson model 29-2 in a presentation case. I opened the case, opened the cylinder, cocked the gun, attempted to dry fire and .........nope, nada, nothing. The mainspring connector at the top was twisted this put the mainspring in a bind and it would not fire (although a pretty easy fix), the barrel and cylinder were a nicely polished blue and the frame was basically matte blue. Several metal burrs in the cylinder area, difficult DA pull, once I corrected the main spring,,,,,,,,,,,welcome to the world of a Bangor Punta Smith and Wesson..........it was not a high quality firearm. I kept it and finally said good bye last year. I have many nice examples of S&W's, that Model 29 was NOT one of them.

·
Premium Member
30,467 Posts
About 15 years ago I bought a fusion hunter slide and frame kit. It was advertised as a fitted kit. To my meeting and when I asked the questions, I was told to slide and frame fit where finished.

Well they did fit together the fitment was very poor, and the rails look like they have been machine with a brick. The experience was horrible, I had to threaten getting a lawyer involved before the return was excepted. So absolutely horrible parts, deplorable customer service, and widely over exaggerated quality.

To this day you couldn’t give me a damn fusion, if one was stuck in my pocket I would throw it in the river

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
I purchased my first 1911 in 1981 and was totally disappointed. I had two revolvers, a 4" Python and a S&W 586. My memory fails as to the make and model (I think a S&W). It was junk. Rattled so much I thought it might come apart, multiple FTF or ejects. Traded soon after to a guy who said he could "fix" it, and stayed with revolvers until I met my friend who is a 1911 junkie. That was about 7 years ago and I have been hooked on quality 1911's ever since.

Reactions: JM59

·
Registered
7,132 Posts
My very first 1911... See growing up shooting revolvers, all Dad had, I decided at about 18 I needed a proper bottom feeder, then naturally having a modicum of taste, that was a 1911. I had already at that point, procured my own first handgun that wasn't something Dad paid for, though naturally I could not have attained it without his help :) A S&W 28-2 Hwy Patrolman, beautiful boxed 6" 357 Magnum N Frame. That gun could do no wrong, great looks, great trigger, far more accurate than any handgun I had shot to that point. . . but back to the disappointment

I had done plenty of reading on the matter of 1911's, in regards to what stock pistol would best suit my needs, and be in my 18 year old tax bracket. I settled on The Springfield Armory 1911A1, the one I found at another gunshow I drug my old man to, was a Blued Standard model, with its original box, I think I gave $475 for it in about 2005... Lo and behold, I hated it!

Here's why, and naturally at 18, with no idea what to do about its shortcomings, I traded it down the river shortly thereafter and bought a Smith 25-2 to use up my 45 Ammo

-Pretty terrible Ergonomics/feel, gun had a GI grip safety, not an ounce of dehorning, it just was not fun to shoot or handle.
-Trigger was bad bad bad, see, shooting single action revolvers as my baseline probably spoiled me some in this regard
-Gun simply did not shoot that well, being used to 5-7.5" barreled revolvers with good sights, I was also used to setting up tin cans at 30-50 paces and clearing them relatively easily. . .this 1911 could not do that, in my hands, at that time

NOW, years on, I did eventually, buy this, a facsimile of that 'first' 1911 in my life, since now, I make a living from the platform. This gun, made in the year of my birth, still suffers from the issues of my first, and someday, I might fix that, or I might keep it the way it is to remember how far you can take one from its stock form, to functional art....

View attachment 991271 View attachment 991272
That’s the only Standard Model I’ve seen posted older then mine. I have 26xxx with the factory card board box. It was horrible. 9.5lb trigger, tiny sights , and sharp grip safety. I left the fist range day bleeding and with a sore trigger finger from pulling on the trigger so hard. But now it looks like this.
Hood Air gun Trigger Grey Grille

1 - 20 of 152 Posts