1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
My very first 1911... See growing up shooting revolvers, all Dad had, I decided at about 18 I needed a proper bottom feeder, then naturally having a modicum of taste, that was a 1911. I had already at that point, procured my own first handgun that wasn't something Dad paid for, though naturally I could not have attained it without his help :) A S&W 28-2 Hwy Patrolman, beautiful boxed 6" 357 Magnum N Frame. That gun could do no wrong, great looks, great trigger, far more accurate than any handgun I had shot to that point. . . but back to the disappointment

I had done plenty of reading on the matter of 1911's, in regards to what stock pistol would best suit my needs, and be in my 18 year old tax bracket. I settled on The Springfield Armory 1911A1, the one I found at another gunshow I drug my old man to, was a Blued Standard model, with its original box, I think I gave $475 for it in about 2005... Lo and behold, I hated it!

Here's why, and naturally at 18, with no idea what to do about its shortcomings, I traded it down the river shortly thereafter and bought a Smith 25-2 to use up my 45 Ammo

-Pretty terrible Ergonomics/feel, gun had a GI grip safety, not an ounce of dehorning, it just was not fun to shoot or handle.
-Trigger was bad bad bad, see, shooting single action revolvers as my baseline probably spoiled me some in this regard
-Gun simply did not shoot that well, being used to 5-7.5" barreled revolvers with good sights, I was also used to setting up tin cans at 30-50 paces and clearing them relatively easily. . .this 1911 could not do that, in my hands, at that time

NOW, years on, I did eventually, buy this, a facsimile of that 'first' 1911 in my life, since now, I make a living from the platform. This gun, made in the year of my birth, still suffers from the issues of my first, and someday, I might fix that, or I might keep it the way it is to remember how far you can take one from its stock form, to functional art....

View attachment 991271 View attachment 991272
That’s the only Standard Model I’ve seen posted older then mine. I have 26xxx with the factory card board box. It was horrible. 9.5lb trigger, tiny sights , and sharp grip safety. I left the fist range day bleeding and with a sore trigger finger from pulling on the trigger so hard. But now it looks like this.
Hood Air gun Trigger Grey Grille

1 - 1 of 1 Posts