1911 Firearm Addicts banner
101 - 120 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Any FN pistol I have ever purchased. How a company that makes solid shotguns and quality rifles produce such a uninspired handgun is beyond me. Every polymer pistol they produce is not produced to be best of breed but is produced to offer something in the category so it looks like they have a complete offering. Never owned a 5.7 pistol so my comments don’t apply to those.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a new member... The purchase that has disappointed me the most was a Les Baer Premier II .45 with a 6" barrel. Despite repeated trips to the range and trying a variety of magazines and ammo, it was hard to fire more than 3 rounds without a failure of some type. There were several types of failures, pointing to more than one problem. This Premier II was made in Iowa, probably not that long after they relocated. Looking inside after its first takedown, it didn't look like anything special as far as machining was concerned. When I called LB, they would only look at it if I sent it back at my own expense. That was pricey, especially with insurance. Instead, I brought it to a local 1911 smith, and he worked on it. After that, it cycled reliably. But it stung to buy something brand new that needed repairs immediately, with the manufacturer not willing to pay for the return shipping. Other 1911s I've bought have ended up going back to the factory, including S&W, Ruger and Kimber, but those 3 paid for return shipping and corrected the problems at no charge. I wish I'd bought a custom 1911 from the gunsmith who repaired the LB. It would have been a couple hundred more, but he would have stood in back of his work.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts

I agree. It was appalling. The funny thing is, one of the best pistols I ever owned was a CZC Custom SP-01 Shadow Orange that never had an issue. Not one. I foolishly traded it away a couple of years ago in pursuit of a Guncrafter 1911 that turned-out to be kind of a dud. I'll continue to kick myself for the next few years over trading it. It was a dumb thing to do.

I soured on CZ Custom after they attempted to blame me for the slide/frame-binding issue, saying that it was because I didn't "know how" to shoot their builds. My reaction to that was, "WHAT?" LOL I reminded CZ Custom that I already owned a Shadow Orange and other competition-grade handguns that never gave me any problems. I thought that was the lamest excuse for customer service I ever heard.
Yes sir, their service leaves much to be desired. I once sent them an SP-01 that wouldn't chamber 147 grain rounds, and wound up wishing I'd just tossed the gun and eaten the loss and saved myself a ton of time and aggravation. And I won't bring up any detail of my "fabulous" experience with their DW division here in the interest of forum harmony.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That is easy. Many moons ago I had saved up spare cash to buy a nice gun. I was between a Springfield TRP Operator or a Zenith MP5 clone. After reading a VERY generous review from TTAG about Roberts Defense I figured it would be a good option. Solid guns, hand fit, made in US, super accurate, ate everything, and you got a superb gun that cost way less than it’s worth. Couldn’t find a bad word about them anywhere, seemed like a good bet.

So I ordered one, super excited about it, felt great… couldn’t get through a single mag without a FTF or a three point failure even. Tried bunch of different mags: ACT, Colt, WC, CMC, etc. Same with ammo of course and no combo worked.

I sent it back to them for repair, but because I didn’t buy it from them directly I had to eat shipping cost. They sent it back saying they tuned it and ran through a box of JHPs and FMJs without issue. Me though? Same problem, couldn’t get through a single magazine without a malfunction.

Ended up selling at a huge loss. I think it cost me $1,600 or so initially, another $100 to send it back, sold for like $900.

That was the worst to me since at the time I had never bought a gun more than $800. I spent twice that and then some and also took my biggest hit in a sale or trade too. I was also mid 20’s and I made decent money but $1,600 was also a whole lot to me then.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Years ago I bought a new USFA pistol for $275? - the ZiP22 - shortly after they first came out. Yes, I knew based on cosmetics and lack of ergonomics that it was a stupid purchase, but it looked like it could be fun.

Boy, was I wrong!

That ZiP22 gun is far and away the worst running and most unsafe firearm that I have ever encountered, let alone purchased. I have an old, worn out, Eastern Arms top break in S&W 32 (short) that has piss-poor timing, and I'd rather take my chances shooting that over the randomly out-of-battery-double-slam-firing-powder-burn-your-finger-if-it-manages-to-cycle-because-it-works-when-it-wants-to-and-hurts-you-at-random ZiP22.

I thought that I'd at least be able to run a full 10 round mag through it, but nope! Even with their reliability spring kit, no luck.

Air gun Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory Automotive exterior

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm a new member... The purchase that has disappointed me the most was a Les Baer Premier II .45 with a 6" barrel. Despite repeated trips to the range and trying a variety of magazines and ammo, it was hard to fire more than 3 rounds without a failure of some type. There were several types of failures, pointing to more than one problem. This Premier II was made in Iowa, probably not that long after they relocated. Looking inside after its first takedown, it didn't look like anything special as far as machining was concerned. When I called LB, they would only look at it if I sent it back at my own expense. That was pricey, especially with insurance. Instead, I brought it to a local 1911 smith, and he worked on it. After that, it cycled reliably. But it stung to buy something brand new that needed repairs immediately, with the manufacturer not willing to pay for the return shipping. Other 1911s I've bought have ended up going back to the factory, including S&W, Ruger and Kimber, but those 3 paid for return shipping and corrected the problems at no charge. I wish I'd bought a custom 1911 from the gunsmith who repaired the LB. It would have been a couple hundred more, but he would have stood in back of his work.
I went through a similar experience with another manufacturer. I think they’d rather lose a customer than pay shipping to fix their mistake. With the internet, they might lose more than one.

·
Registered
202 Posts
HK USP Tactical. Couldn’t hit a 5gal bucket at 10’ with it. Absolutely horrible.
that’s about it
Man, I forgot about that one till I read this, traded something for an HK USP .45 (not the tactical) back in '07, I had "great expectations", took it to the range and was sorely disappointed.
Spongy trigger and terrible accuracy, I traded it at my LGS at a loss.
So Rohrbaugh R9 (per my previous post) & HK USP, for me were my two biggest disappointments.

·
Registered
25 Posts
For me it was 2 guns. First was a 1903 springfield that was a low serial number single heat treated receiver with a shot out barrel. Bought it when I was 20 and first getting into collecting old military rifles and didnt know really what I was looking at. And the second was a p220 sas with a dak trigger. Bought it to use as a carry piece and the trigger pull was so horrendous I hated shooting it and sold it within a few months. Now I know why dak sigs are so cheap to purchase on the aftermarket.

·
старая каза
698 Posts
Yes sir, their service leaves much to be desired. I once sent them an SP-01 that wouldn't chamber 147 grain rounds, and wound up wishing I'd just tossed the gun and eaten the loss and saved myself a ton of time and aggravation. And I won't bring up any detail of my "fabulous" experience with their DW division here in the interest of forum harmony.

I got caught-up in all the Bull Shadow-hype in late-2019 and probably should've just waited to get an A-01 instead. I've shot a friend's and his shoots without any problems. I'd say that's probably true for the majority of what CZC builds but, the Bull Shadow was not one of them, at least, it wasn't for me.

These days I run a full-size, 4.5" Walther PDP and have never looked back.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I bought a HK USP 45, I waited so long for it to arrive. I tried to like it, but the high bore axis and the bulky, klunky feel to it made me regret my purchase instantly. I traded it off for a SA Range Officer and never looked back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good Morning Guys/Gals.... I have been racking my brain trying to come up with a good topic and I think this is pretty fitting being I just picked up a revolver that ive waited a long time for.......only to find out.... IT WAS NOT WHAT I EXPECTED!!!!! with that being said...
Guys and Gals.... what is your most dissapointing/ dissatisfied pistol purchase? View attachment 991247 ....... I believe this is mine... don't chew me out
I hear ya in the smith. I found a 7x for a good price and with the bead blast thought it looked fuggly. Broke out the mothers and a good supply of old cotton tee shirts and put a shine on. That with a set of cheap rubber boot grips, a new main spring to fix the light strikes (think i know why the price was good) and now i love it.
Revolver Trigger Wood Air gun Gun barrel

Revolver Trigger Wood Air gun Gun barrel

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Mine was an Winchester 1890 I bought online at an auction Weins Auction/Realty in Kansas. The auction showed a nice looking rifle. Came in unassembled as the stock didn’t fit correctly and the screw would not catch the treads. Bore was shot out badly. Auction showed it assembled and mentioned no issues. Last online auction

·
On The Lost Highway
533 Posts
I recently bought a K6S 2inch (DCR model). I ordered new grips for it, because I just cant get a good purchase on the original grips. I too, was surprised at a 10 yard group. I hit the target, but there wasnt anything resembling a tight group.

Its just a departure from a pistol. I would never use it beyond 3 yards if in a self defense situation. However, its meant to be an up close and personal gun. Shot most likely from retention

I still think its a cool revolver with a great DA trigger.
I agree.
In the back of my mind I'm still thinking that if I got close enough to hit who I was aiming at....I could just swing that heavy K6S to dot their eye.
It did have a sweet trigger though.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Mine was a Walther PPQ Q5 Steel Frame. I had lusted after them since they were announced. Was able to haggle one down to a good price.

In short it ran perfectly, but it didn't handle like I hoped. With the heavy steel frame I expected minimal recoil, but it had much more muzzle flip than expected. I believe it's been noted that it wasn't well balanced, there was more weight in the grip than the slide, so it was light on the front end. I shot it a fair amount but eventually passed it on.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The second gun i ever bought. ppk .380. Thought if James Bond could trust his life with one, so could I. Boy was I dumb when I was 21. :sneaky:
Bond's PPK was chambered in a 32 ACP, which is better suited to the pistol, but the selection of the Walther was almost serendipitous. Fleming was no firearms expert, so he armed Bond primarily with a Beretta 25 because, purportedly, this was the same type pistol Fleming had carried in WWII. When Geoffrey Boothroyd, an avid gun collector in England, wrote a letter to Fleming poking fun at the macho Bond using a 25 ACP "lady's gun", Fleming sought his advice in reply. Boothroyd suggested to Fleming that he replace the Beretta with a PPK, and replace Bond's pillow gun, ".38 Colt Police Positive with the sawn barrel ", with a S&W Centennial 38 Special. As for his car gun, a "long barreled Colt Army Special .45" (1873 SAA? 1917?), no mention is made of a replacement. Was this sage advice? For 1957 it probably was, but today we have far more options.

·
Registered
55 Posts
45 acp kriss vector.... i had to work on it brand new out of the box.. light primer strikes... out of 50 rounds 5 or 6 might fire.. read on a forum that they had fire pin spring problems.. end up cutting the spring in half and worked fine after that..do you all know what it takes to get one out of a kriss vector?? wow!!
Yes, I do. :-(

·
Registered
55 Posts
For me, it has to be my Taurus G2C by far. . .

I was always told to void Taurus like the plague, but the G2C came out and all my friends were buying them and talking it up. I started reading and watching all these rave reviews about how great of a gun it was for the price so on Black Friday i came across one at my local Academy and picked it up.

Has been the absolute most problematic piece of crap that ever lived in my collection. Since then, i have followed my gut instincts on gun purchases more.
My PT111 had a dead trigger right out of the box. Taurus fixed it but I have been leery of it ever since. My bother has had no issues with is. For me Taurus has always been hit and miss, but mainly miss. :-(

101 - 120 of 152 Posts