1911 Firearm Addicts banner
121 - 140 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Same. I had one and it was a super inaccurate and frustrating.

Man, I forgot about that one till I read this, traded something for an HK USP .45 (not the tactical) back in '07, I had "great expectations", took it to the range and was sorely disappointed.
Spongy trigger and terrible accuracy, I traded it at my LGS at a loss.
So Rohrbaugh R9 (per my previous post) & HK USP, for me were my two biggest disappointments.

·
Cranky old curmudgeon
2,309 Posts
For me it was a CZ-83. I bought into the hyperbole of the day, and bought it before I ever had one 'in hand'.

Well, too small for a service pistol. Too bulky for concealed carry. Big enough to be chambered in 9mm Luger, but instead, it came in .380ACP.

It shot well. Was reliable. Had a funky takedown method. Extra magazines cost a firstborn male child. Might make a decent tool box gun.

I sent it down the road after giving it a good tryout.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Glock 26. I bought one twice over the years in my search for the "perfect" concealment pistol, only to realize that it's not a whole lot smaller than my G19, and when you add the pinky extension to it (I have big hands), you're almost the same grip length.

Twice.

I'm a slow learner.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Been blessed so far, have yet to pick up a nightmare gun. I also haven’t bought too many guns in my 6 year career, maybe 10-15 guns total. Only issues I had was with my first gun, a 7.5” AR pistol which was so overly gassed it would just not run. After some research I installed an adjustable gas block, tuned it at the range and now it runs like a champ

·
Registered
134 Posts
That’s the only Standard Model I’ve seen posted older then mine. I have 26xxx with the factory card board box. It was horrible. 9.5lb trigger, tiny sights , and sharp grip safety. I left the fist range day bleeding and with a sore trigger finger from pulling on the trigger so hard. But now it looks like this. View attachment 991274
Not a standard model but I keep this old blaster around because I've never seen another 9mm like it with serrated top

Revolver Water Air gun Trigger Wood

·
NRA Life Member
4,385 Posts
Handguns are like pizza to me... I'll try anything and its pretty hard to fudge it up for me...

I will say that I was disappointed by my experience with the Sig P229 Legion. Initial feel of the SRT trigger was positive but the more I ran it, the more I preferred my Berettas.

Springfield professional operator.45 acp. I wanted one for years because of the look and prestige of the FBI contract. It was essentially my grail gun. Nothing was wrong with it I just didn’t jive with the sights, serrations etc. it didn’t feel right in hand and putting rounds down range. so I traded it away.
My only gripe with my Professional (Also my grail gun) is that it doesnt have Front Cocking Serrations. Was going to buy a Pro LR but built up my 10-8 Operator to fill that roll with no regrets.

Another vote for the PPK. She’s a beautiful girl who turns out to be really bad in the sack.
My first gun. Bought it when I turned 21. Super stoked to find one. Bought 1k case of .380 ball ammo also. Still have (Drumroll...) ~650 rounds of that case. My hands are too big for the gun but I still love it. Want to get it engraved.

I will say the most disappointed i've ever been with a firearm was with Colt Revolvers. I really wanted to LOVE them but having to PULL to release the cylinder is so counterintuitive... Beautiful pistols and triggers but sold off my Python and Detectives Special years ago.

·
Premium Member
KGB Colt LW 9mm Commander
1,071 Posts
Diamondback DB380 it looked cool kinda like a mini Glock but i was a jam-o-matic heck a black powder handgun would have been quicker with follow up shots.

not my picture I got it from the internet…too bad it didn’t work it was a perfect pocket gun.

Finger Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel Air gun

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
I hear ya in the smith. I found a 7x for a good price and with the bead blast thought it looked fuggly. Broke out the mothers and a good supply of old cotton tee shirts and put a shine on. That with a set of cheap rubber boot grips, a new main spring to fix the light strikes (think i know why the price was good) and now i love it. View attachment 993457
View attachment 993456
you used Mothers to make it look like that???? looks sweet! I haven't had any issues gun is solid! I hate the two finger grip

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I have bought enough over the years to get a lemon here and there. Most of the time I was able to get them fixed under warranty and they sold the off with full disclosure. The 2 that really stick out. The first was a Colt WWI Repro in Carbonia Blue. The second which will come as a shock to many was a 1972 Browning Hi Power, which I still own.

The Colt was from the first run of these guns. It was stunning. It was the first custom shop Colt I ever bought. It came in the super cool blue box with the white outer sleeve. The reproduction small box, manual and magazines in wax paper. I filled out my 4473 and the additional paperwork for VA and headed home. I got home and and when to field strip the pistol and while I was doing it I saw the horror. The recoil assemble tube in the slide was off center. Way more material on the right side vs the left. I called the dealer I bought it from and they would have taken it back but they did not have a replacement and Colt had no ETA on the next run. I called Colt and they said they would replace it on the next run. It took me 6+ months to get a replacement. I was so pissed I ended up trading it for a Collector Grade HRA M1 Garand. I later regretted that and bought another one. I still have the Garand.

The 1972 Browning High Power was my first BHP. People had told me how great they were and I could never find one local except for NIB examples and they were pricey for me back then. I bought it sight unseen off of GunsAmerica and had it shipped to my FFL for $425. It arrived and it was a beautiful gun. It had the 1970s BHP blue that was in excellent condition. It had the French walnut wood grips and it just looked classy. The first sting of disappointment came when I realized that the gun had been advertised a 1973 gun but it turned out it was 1972. I did not know any better back then but when I looked it up on the late Stephen Camp's site there it was C72XXX.

Well then I took it to the range it I could not hit a damn thing with it. It had the tiny half moon front sight with the small blade rear. The thumb safety was the tiny nub was just about useless. It was too small to manipulate and was not like the 1911 safeties I was familiar with. On top of that it was mushy. The trigger had to be 8+ lbs and I hated the mag disconnect. The beautiful wood grips felt blocky in the hand. I was so disappointed. Nothing about this gun matched what everyone had told me about the BHP. I beat myself up about it because I should have just bought one the MKIIIs from CDNN at the time which were selling in the $600 range. It at least had useful sight and a better thumb safety...

I posted over the The Firing Line where I used to hang out and said I was getting ready to kick this one to the curb. My friend Ken AKA WildAlaska who worked at Wild West Guns the shop in Alaska owned by Jim West chimed in and said send me the gun. I will put a set of Novak Sights on it, swap out the hammer, trigger, sear and safety with C&S parts. Then fit a pair of Navidrex slim grips on it and send it back. He said if you don't like it after we are done with it I will buy it for what you have in it including the custom work. So off it went. It returned to me looking like this minus the Spegels it currently wears. The gun has an excellent clean trigger with a usaeable thumb safety and good sights which is really all any BHP really needs. They milled the sights perfectly and did not have to reblue the slide only touched up the dovetail areas. Needless to say Ken did not get the gun sent back to him and thus began my love affair with the BHP.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I picked up a used P220 Combat that was just terrible. It would consistently jam a couple of time each mag and had such a sloppy trigger I couldn’t make a decent group to save my life. The guy I bought it from told me he had trouble with it too and sold it to me cheap. I ended up selling it after disclosing its history for what I paid for it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
20 some years ago I ordered a Springfield Armory SAR 8 (HK 91 copy). It was the one with the rail on top of the upper receiver. It had the worst finish on the upper receiver and the accuracy was marginal at best. I would have never bought it if I would have seen one before ordering it. I ended up trading it at a gun show.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine was the first 1911 I ever bought. A NIB Llama GI style. It was all I could afford at that time. A friend showed me how to run it wet, got me a box of 45 FMJ and I headed to the range. It fed about 40% of the time and ejected about 20% of the time. It also shot way right of aim. I mean almost next target over right!

Went back to friend and we field stripped it and found many problems the worst of which was the scarred barrel. How a new in box gun barrel could look like that I'll hopefully never know or see again. Soured me on 1911s for a while, but I finally realized that not all 1911s are made so poorly. Got a Kimber when they first came out and what a difference!

Unfortunately for my bank account, that Kimber made me fall in love with the 1911 and years later they are still my favorite handgun.

121 - 140 of 152 Posts