close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Billboards.....am I wrong??

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Lama, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Lama

Lama Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Maybe a useless thread, but I have to ask, WTF do various manufacturers feel the need to rollmark a good or very good 1911 with completely hideous billboards?

I may insult various owners out there, but after reading the Buyers Guide thread showcasing many of the various brands out there (some I never knew even existed) photographed in detail, I gotta' say.... ooooh no.

What gunsmith or marketing type thinks up some of this stuff? I believe some of the fonts and print size used on these things came from the cover of my 1982 high school yearbook. Heck, the actual content enscribed on many of these slides show little relevance to anything regarding firearms.

STI seems to be a big offender. Trojan? Spartan? Are we referencing Gladiator movies next? The Amscor guns....yikes! Even Colt goes a little ape sh!t with scrolling some new model name and purpose on the side. Did my TRP really need to be marked TACTICAL? Doesn't the "T" in TRP already mean tactical?

I guess have always believed most times less is more.

Maybe I am too wrapped up in astetcics and overlooking some fantastic guns based solely on the presence of these markings, but damn I would hate to spend $1500 on a really nice gun just to have it blare "ULTRA PENETRATOR III" at me.

Rant over.

2. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Look at the average American's style of dress. Folks wear Nike shoes, Wrangler jeans, and Ralph Lauren shirts, and are proud to let folks know they own products from those brands. For good or ill, many gun owners feel the same way about brand awareness. They want people to know they're shooting a Colt, or a Nighthawk, or a Rock Island.

"Now, for only $499.95 and your sense of dignity, you too can own a Super Elite Marksman Tactical Supreme Commander Professional 1911." :lol:

I agree that some executions are more tasteful than others.

I'm with you, though, on the "less is more" thing. My 1911 is a Guncrafter "No Name." I think it looks pretty slick. :thumb:

Andy

3. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Clean 1911's are hard to come by. Several manufactures are doing it and will do it as options. Most, if not all production guns will have some sort of billboard.

I thought about trying to slab slide my EMP but I don't think it would have worked, so I never asked. Not to mention how much it would have cost!

4. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    I have a file for that...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

before
    [​IMG]

5. drcfirearms

drcfirearms Forum Sponsor Sponsor

Aug 16, 2011
    They don't call it the "No Name" for nothing......This is about as clean as it gets. An those in the know, know you are shooting a Guncrafter! :hail:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    for my Caspian build I specifically went naked slide (dont have it inhand, yet). Also tried to delete my PT1911AR but ran out of patience quickly but ended up with something really neat because I sanded it significantly, the lettering is nicely subdued and not so prominent. I need to get a pic.

7. deadguy

deadguy Jim Nabors Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    This is one of the reasons I ordered a Fusion (besides the fact no one else could make me a 10mm CCO). I do not like rollmarks on slides. The Dan Wessons are second with the subtle model name on the slide, and IMO, in a good place. The GI models are fantastic as well (they rank with Fusion in lack of rollmark aesthetics), and a Model 3 is on my short bucket list.

8. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    The rollmark is something I can live with if it is a quality gun that functions well. STIs are some of the best "bang for the buck" guns out there. Would I prefer them without the rollmarks? Sure. Would I let them stop me from buying one? Nope. Same thing with the DE1911G/C or RIA, Remington, etc...

9. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011
    Springfield is notorious for huge billboards and a great deal of text on their slides and frames. I don't like it either.

10. Jim S.

Jim S. Evil Capt. Kirk from G.T.

Aug 25, 2011
    What I like even less than the companies name or the name of the gun is the warnings that the lawyers make some of the manufacturers put on.
    If you don't know that an auto pistol can fire with the magazine removed then you should learn about guns before you purchase one.
    What next?
    This gun can cause serious bodily injury if misused by someone who shouldn't own a gun in the first place.
    Just think how much warning crap you could fit on a 1911 slide, especially if you didn't have the name so large.

11. drcfirearms

drcfirearms Forum Sponsor Sponsor

Aug 16, 2011
    Damn those lawyers!!!!

12. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fads come and go, clean slides are on of the latest.

I make fun of some but in all honesty performance is the only thing that matters.

The originals weren't clean at all.

[​IMG]

13. deadguy

deadguy Jim Nabors Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    but when you are the original, fads don't apply. :nod:

14. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    Now I like a clean slide as much as the next guy but sometimes everything has to go to include any FCS too! I know that some here might use them, I don't, so on my pistols I have them deleted. Though one semi-custom mfg charges to delete them which I thought was a bit odd. Anybody have an explanation for this? Thanks.

15. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    more machine time to delete them.

16. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    The only rollmarks I LIKE, are springfield's GI model's. I love like them, small and simple, and I plan on keeping them. But Rollmarks are my biggest pet peeve.

17. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Probably have to stop and load a different CNC program, so you're paying for the lost production time.

18. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    I want a slide that says. YOUR COMPANY LOGO HERE. LOL! I don't even like a dealership logo glued to my vehicle. Another thing that burns my a$$ is a roll mark on a new gun that is so shallow the edges of the lettering aren't visible. It looks like it's been over buffed and refinished.

19. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    I'm no expert, but this was John's take on someone who asked about HP cuts:

"I wouldn't recommend a High Power cut on an EMP. Because of it's short length, the front of the slide lacks cross sectional material that longer pistols have. I would be concerned that the strength of the slide's nose would be adversely affected by HP cuts. I don't believe it would look good either."

I guess the filing wouldn't go as deep, but I'm honestly not sure. I don't trust myself with a file anyway, so I would have had to pay him to do it. It just wasn't worth it to me. That came out great though, congrats!

20. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted