Black Stainless Refinished

Discussion in '1911 Photo Gallery' started by dilespla, Oct 15, 2011.

1. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    A while back I noticed the finish of my Loaded Black Stainless was, as best described, flaking off. I was not happy about that at all. I was even more unhappy that it didn't shoot as well as I thought it should. I went ahead and shot close to a thousand rounds just to see if any other problems cropped up before I decided to send it back. I don't know what kind of finish the shiny black was, but now it looks like flat black, like it's park'd or something. Much better looking to me!

Here are the before and after shots.

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

So far I've got 100 rounds and I've carried it almost every afternoon after work, and all day on the weekends. No signs of wear yet.

As for accuracy issues, they replaced the barrel and bushing. Don't know why they just put in a stainless one, but I like the way it looks vs. the black one that came with it. The important thing is that it shoots great now. The slide/frame fit is much better than it was. I'd say it's tight, but I don't have a "tight" gun to compare to. The bushing is tighter than it was, not tight enough to have to use a wrench, but not near as sloppy.

[​IMG]

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Probably Armory Kote still, just flat instead of the regular.

3. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Nice looking Springer! :thumb:

4. dilespla

Oct 12, 2011
    Seems thinner whatever it is. The shiny stuff looked thick on the edges. It's already held up longer than what was on it so I'm happy.

Thanks, Faawrenchbndr, I'm quite fond of it myself!:biggrin1:

5. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    Looks great, Springfield seems to be a good company to do business with...

6. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Looks pretty sharp! I've always been pleased with their customer service. :thumb:

Andy

7. dilespla

Oct 12, 2011
    The customer service was excellent. No hassle or anything. I called, she took some notes, and emailed a shipping label. Four weeks later (seemed like two) I had it back and its way nicer than before.

8. GM*

GM* ~

Oct 15, 2011
    Very nice! I do like the new finish.

9. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Nice result.

The barrel was most likely a 2-piece design. So they replaced it with a 1-piece and is better fitted to the gun. The bushings to slide fitting is most likely a drop in fit, so it's loose. But the bushing to barrel fitting should be relatively tight.

10. dilespla

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah, I've never had my hands on a tight gun, so I don't know how everything should feel. One day though...

Pilot Rich likes this.
  11. claire

claire Anger Management Graduate

Sep 22, 2011
    They really did a great job. Just keep it away from a holster so it stays pretty :grin:

claire

12. dilespla

Oct 12, 2011
    Hah! It's in one right now! It's my EDC until I get something else...

13. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    Came out great. :thumb:

14. claire

claire Anger Management Graduate

Sep 22, 2011
    I know they have credit cards in Arkansas. You should be able to have a new carry gun tomorrow :tongue:

claire

15. MY-1911

MY-1911 Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Like Sir Guy said, Looks sharp!

16. S3NTYN3L

S3NTYN3L Oderint Dum Metuant

Mar 27, 2012
    Sorry for digging up a dead thread...

I sent mine out to Springer for a refinish a month or three ago.
    I'm planning on making it my EDC and waiting for my TT Gunleather to come in in a few weeks.

Are you still EDC'ing yours?
    How's the finish holding up?

Mine is almost too tight, lol!
    She shoots two/three inch groups out to 25yds and runs like clockwork.
    I don't think I could have asked for a more reliable gun...

Just because it's too damn pretty not to show off! :tongueout:

[​IMG]

17. dilespla

Oct 12, 2011
    Yup, I still carry it every day. It's in and out of the Tucker's Gunleather "Answer" holster quite a bit. The finish is holding up nicely. I'll try to get some pictures for you this afternoon. I don't often look for wear, even when I'm cleaning, but I think there is a little right on the very end on the right side (if you were pointing it down range). It's a huge improvement over what was originally on there.

Did yours have the shiny thick coat on it before refinishing, like mine?

18. S3NTYN3L

Mar 27, 2012
    Cool, I'd love to see how it's doing.

Yup.
    I picked her up used and she was looking pretty beat up, Idiot Scratch and looking all kinds of leprous, lol...
    The "IS" alone REALLY bothered me to no end so I HAD to send it out.

I picked it up for about $680 and, after getting her home, found the SA paperwork claiming roughly $1100 in upgrades. (Later confirmed while talking to SA about the refinish).

Anywho, yeah I sent it to SA for a refinish and was wondering if the finish quality had been improved as well. (The whole gloss vs flat thing you mention).
    I've been asking around for a month or so and, so far, you're the first owner of a black/stainless to get back to me that actually EDC's it and didn't make it a range queen.

Like I said, she shoots beautifully!
    So well, in fact, that I'll NEVER get rid of her even if the refinish doesn't hold up like I'd want it to.

19. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    The original finish on that is NOT Armory Kote, dil. It's a "paint" that they apply in Brazil. It's shiny, and not very durable. I would doubt if they even bake it on.

20. S3NTYN3L

Mar 27, 2012
    Mine wasn't made in Brazil.
    There's no Brazilian stamps on mine whatsoever.
    Just saying...

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted