I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,231 Posts
What he said, yuppers

Reactions: HawkEye

·
Known Agitator
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I bought a Dan Wesson, factory new, "display gun". No mention of being a blem.

"Display gun, no return for cosmetic issues, may have scratches". One hell of a difference from a blem gun, which has one or more known issues.

Seller covered their ass very nicely by stating inspect the gun before FFL transfer, no returns once transfered.

Seller was a gun store, not a forum member, of course.

I can't find anything cosmetically wrong with the gun, but I think I have found the blem. I will try to contact DW Monday to see if they keep a record of the blem. If it is what I think, it is more than cosmetic.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,890 Posts
It is true, but more often than not the blems on these particular guns are barely noticeable. And are always associated with finish problems. The only thing voided or that is not warranted on the gun is the finish. If you notice also that every blem you see is a duty coat finish. Often times the blemish on these guns will even be under the grip frame. This is one thing I have always respected about DW is their willingness to discount these guns and the attention they must pay to the finishes in order to do so. The person with the pistol ought to be able to tell you exactly what the blem is and where it is on the pistol, as they also include a hard copy of a like pistol with the blems pointed out on that photocopy... And an explanation of the blemish.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,890 Posts
Thanks for the info. I bought a Dan Wesson, factory new, "display gun". No mention of being a blem.

"Display gun, no return for cosmetic issues, may have scratches". One hell of a difference from a blem gun, which has one or more known issues.

Seller covered their ass very nicely by stating inspect the gun before FFL transfer, no returns once transfered.

Seller was a gun store, not a forum member, of course.

I can't find anything cosmetically wrong with the gun, but I think I have found the blem. I will try to contact DW Monday to see if they keep a record of the blem. If it is what I think, it is more than cosmetic.
DW only blems guns with cosmetic issues if there is other issues they will warranty any mechanical issues. If you don't mind what did you get?

·
Known Agitator
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DW only blems guns with cosmetic issues if there is other issues they will warranty any mechanical issues. If you don't mind what did you get?
PMC in 38 Superb. I can find no cosmetic issues, but have found what I consider a more serious issue. I need to contact DW and get more info. I don't want to start things without all the facts.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,890 Posts
PMC in 38 Superb. I can find no cosmetic issues, but have found what I consider a more serious issue. I need to contact DW and get more info. I don't want to start things without all the facts.
Very Considerate.. Shitty thing for the seller to do, to not disclose issues with the gun prior to the sale though. I think you'll find DW pretty good to work with. In my experiences with them they take pride in what they do, and try to take care of their customers. I don't think they would of knowingly put out a gun with a mechanical flaw, but stranger things have happened. If if is a blem then I would say there is a cosmetic issue somewhere, but again sometimes those things are so negligible that they have to literally be pointed out. GL to you sir. I'm sure they will take good care of you.

·
Known Agitator
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No offense intended to the OP but this is a prime example why you should do research before the purchase and not after.
I'm sure the gun will be fine as Steve has stated.
Good luck with your call Monday I hope it's all worked out to your satisfaction.
I agree. I just did not know to search for blem numbers on the gun. How do you search for something you have not heard of (DW selling blem guns)? And I have no issue with DW, I think this is an issue more with the seller. Now I know of it, I can find it on DW's site.

All kinda speculation at this point. If it comes down to it, I can get out the dremel and sand paper and make said gun work. Just frustrated with the seller, venting here a bit.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Odds are the gun is fine. It should have come with a blem sheet that points out the "defects".

Dan Wesson "blems" are generally mechanically sound and usually come with a 5 year mechanical warranty. Even with the blem sheet in hand, it still sometimes hard to see the blemish.

So long as you paid a fair price, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
maybe it is a just a break in issue. as stated before DW blems are cosmetic. they would not knowingly let a mechanically unsound gun go out--liability is the key. it is not bashing to let us know what issue you found

·
What me worry ?
11,254 Posts
Maybe just me ,but why spend good money on a pistol with a defect at any price ?
That nagging feeling that the manufacturers declared something faulty with it , cosmetically or mechanically, will weigh on your mind.
If you have to question your purchase decision it’s not worth it.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Maybe just me ,but why spend good money on a pistol with a defect at any price ?
Given a large enough incentive, the "any price" nonsense quickly falls to the wayside. ;)

A cosmetic issue is not a concern when I'm paying $.70 on the dollar compared to retail.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Used guns are usually blemished. If the price is right, I would buy a factory blem.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts