Blem Gun?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Fred_G, Dec 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    Is it true that an upside down Y on a Dan Wesson gun indicates a blem model?

WHEELS likes this.
  2. Ethank

Ethank Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Yep

Kip and WHEELS like this.

3. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    What he said, yuppers

WHEELS likes this.
  4. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
  5. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks for the info. I bought a Dan Wesson, factory new, "display gun". No mention of being a blem.

"Display gun, no return for cosmetic issues, may have scratches". One hell of a difference from a blem gun, which has one or more known issues.

Seller covered their ass very nicely by stating inspect the gun before FFL transfer, no returns once transfered.

Seller was a gun store, not a forum member, of course.

I can't find anything cosmetically wrong with the gun, but I think I have found the blem. I will try to contact DW Monday to see if they keep a record of the blem. If it is what I think, it is more than cosmetic.

6. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    It is true, but more often than not the blems on these particular guns are barely noticeable. And are always associated with finish problems. The only thing voided or that is not warranted on the gun is the finish. If you notice also that every blem you see is a duty coat finish. Often times the blemish on these guns will even be under the grip frame. This is one thing I have always respected about DW is their willingness to discount these guns and the attention they must pay to the finishes in order to do so. The person with the pistol ought to be able to tell you exactly what the blem is and where it is on the pistol, as they also include a hard copy of a like pistol with the blems pointed out on that photocopy... And an explanation of the blemish.

isialk, 41 Charlie, Lucky and 7 others like this.
  7. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    DW only blems guns with cosmetic issues if there is other issues they will warranty any mechanical issues. If you don't mind what did you get?

Kip likes this.
  8. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    PMC in 38 Superb. I can find no cosmetic issues, but have found what I consider a more serious issue. I need to contact DW and get more info. I don't want to start things without all the facts.

Kip, FWoo45 and Steve Owens like this.
  9. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Very Considerate.. Shitty thing for the seller to do, to not disclose issues with the gun prior to the sale though. I think you'll find DW pretty good to work with. In my experiences with them they take pride in what they do, and try to take care of their customers. I don't think they would of knowingly put out a gun with a mechanical flaw, but stranger things have happened. If if is a blem then I would say there is a cosmetic issue somewhere, but again sometimes those things are so negligible that they have to literally be pointed out. GL to you sir. I'm sure they will take good care of you.

10. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    No offense intended to the OP but this is a prime example why you should do research before the purchase and not after.
    I'm sure the gun will be fine as Steve has stated.
    Good luck with your call Monday I hope it's all worked out to your satisfaction.

gps man and Stogies like this.
  11. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    I agree. I just did not know to search for blem numbers on the gun. How do you search for something you have not heard of (DW selling blem guns)? And I have no issue with DW, I think this is an issue more with the seller. Now I know of it, I can find it on DW's site.

All kinda speculation at this point. If it comes down to it, I can get out the dremel and sand paper and make said gun work. Just frustrated with the seller, venting here a bit.

12. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Odds are the gun is fine. It should have come with a blem sheet that points out the "defects".

Dan Wesson "blems" are generally mechanically sound and usually come with a 5 year mechanical warranty. Even with the blem sheet in hand, it still sometimes hard to see the blemish.

So long as you paid a fair price, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

johnb62, Steve Owens and boatdoc like this.
  13. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    Should also had a big blem sticker on the outside of the box.

[​IMG]

14. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    maybe it is a just a break in issue. as stated before DW blems are cosmetic. they would not knowingly let a mechanically unsound gun go out--liability is the key. it is not bashing to let us know what issue you found

15. kc1911

kc1911 Member

Jul 13, 2018
    I'm just curious; where is the upside down Y located on the gun?

Steve Owens likes this.
  16. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
  17. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    I have a blem Guardian in 9mm that will shoot with the best of them. :thumbs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

41 Charlie, ronin11, Kip and 4 others like this.
  18. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Maybe just me ,but why spend good money on a pistol with a defect at any price ?
    That nagging feeling that the manufacturers declared something faulty with it , cosmetically or mechanically, will weigh on your mind.
    If you have to question your purchase decision it’s not worth it.

Fred_G likes this.
  19. Guy Montag

Guy Montag Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Given a large enough incentive, the "any price" nonsense quickly falls to the wayside. ;)

A cosmetic issue is not a concern when I'm paying $.70 on the dollar compared to retail.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  20. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Used guns are usually blemished. If the price is right, I would buy a factory blem.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted