1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Blem Gun?

Tags
question
6K views 52 replies 27 participants last post by  Old Sea Dragon 
#1 ·
Is it true that an upside down Y on a Dan Wesson gun indicates a blem model?

#5 ·
Thanks for the info. I bought a Dan Wesson, factory new, "display gun". No mention of being a blem.

"Display gun, no return for cosmetic issues, may have scratches". One hell of a difference from a blem gun, which has one or more known issues.

Seller covered their ass very nicely by stating inspect the gun before FFL transfer, no returns once transfered.

Seller was a gun store, not a forum member, of course.

I can't find anything cosmetically wrong with the gun, but I think I have found the blem. I will try to contact DW Monday to see if they keep a record of the blem. If it is what I think, it is more than cosmetic.

#6 ·
It is true, but more often than not the blems on these particular guns are barely noticeable. And are always associated with finish problems. The only thing voided or that is not warranted on the gun is the finish. If you notice also that every blem you see is a duty coat finish. Often times the blemish on these guns will even be under the grip frame. This is one thing I have always respected about DW is their willingness to discount these guns and the attention they must pay to the finishes in order to do so. The person with the pistol ought to be able to tell you exactly what the blem is and where it is on the pistol, as they also include a hard copy of a like pistol with the blems pointed out on that photocopy... And an explanation of the blemish.

#11 ·
No offense intended to the OP but this is a prime example why you should do research before the purchase and not after.
I'm sure the gun will be fine as Steve has stated.
Good luck with your call Monday I hope it's all worked out to your satisfaction.
I agree. I just did not know to search for blem numbers on the gun. How do you search for something you have not heard of (DW selling blem guns)? And I have no issue with DW, I think this is an issue more with the seller. Now I know of it, I can find it on DW's site.

All kinda speculation at this point. If it comes down to it, I can get out the dremel and sand paper and make said gun work. Just frustrated with the seller, venting here a bit.

#14 ·
maybe it is a just a break in issue. as stated before DW blems are cosmetic. they would not knowingly let a mechanically unsound gun go out--liability is the key. it is not bashing to let us know what issue you found

#18 ·
Maybe just me ,but why spend good money on a pistol with a defect at any price ?
That nagging feeling that the manufacturers declared something faulty with it , cosmetically or mechanically, will weigh on your mind.
If you have to question your purchase decision it’s not worth it.

#19 · (Edited)
Maybe just me ,but why spend good money on a pistol with a defect at any price ?
Given a large enough incentive, the "any price" nonsense quickly falls to the wayside. ;)

A cosmetic issue is not a concern when I'm paying $.70 on the dollar compared to retail.

#21 ·
No blem sticker on the box. And no sheet explaining what is "defective". If I had known this, and bought the gun, I would not be complaining about it. Will know more after I call DW.

I don't want to start anything without talking to them.

Looking at the case, it looks like a sticker was torn off the box, to the right of the sticker with the serial number and all on it.

#22 ·
Blem is short for blemish.
A blemish is strictly an appearance or finish issue. If you are willing to accept a blemish and agree that the discounted price is reasonable the gun will perform as intended.
If what you are experiencing goes beyond a cosmetic issue than you have a “defect” issue.
Dan Wesson stands behind there products very well if it is defective or has a reliability issue. This goes for many of there products and they are always concerned and honor repairs many times to non original purchasers of DW Firearms.
If you purchased the gun second hand and not from an authorized DW dealer, it’s buyer beware.
Due diligence is all I can recommend.

Reactions: Glock2740
#32 ·
Update. I still can't find the blem... I discovered the seller had several of these blem "demo" models for sale on their website https://www.ammoandarmsstore.com/product/cz-usa-dan-wesson-pointman-01842#prettyPhoto and on Gunbroker, that link is to their store, they took down the ones on Gunbroker. They also list said guns as having a serrated top slide, which DW does not offer in the PMC line.

I decided to keep the gun, and share my experience with Elk County Ammo and Arms. In their defense, they did offer a refund, but, since I had already taken a file to the sharp edges of the rear sight, (on a gun I bought in good faith, not listed as a blem) I chose to keep it, as I felt it would unethical on my part to try to return a modded gun.

Gunbroker add can be seen here: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/785712838 They upside down Y is visible in the pictures. Note the "demo" and top slide serrations. I did not notice the slide serrations part before I bought it, that would have clued me in that something was wrong.

Guess I let my desire for a new gun over ride my common sense. Has never happened before... :)

I am liking the gun! I just hate companies that are not honest.

And they put another "Demo" blem gun on Gunbroker. Wow. https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/793818525

#33 ·
These guns are listed in factory new condition. IMO a demo/Display model in as new condition is very misleading. He doesn't list these as blems at all. And the pics in these photos from the above links appear to be some sort of generic factory photos. MY pm9 has top of the slide serrations. Is it just the commander that doesn't have the serrations? Is it possible these were a program gun run as a special order for display and shop specials to begin with and were marked as blems from the get go? Did you call Dan Wesson and Give them the serial #, I am sure they could clarify and give you a little more insight into this pistol... Is yours a CCO version? Or a straight commander version? And did you mean the upside down Y wasn't visible in the pictures? Cause I couldn't see it. I would be leery based on info and not having actual pictures of the actual pistol you were getting when they merely used some sort of generic photos. @Fred_G

#34 · (Edited)
The first link is my pistol. I have it on my desk now. SN ending in 022 and an upside down Y. It was clearly listed as a demo, not a blem gun.

Mine is a Commander gun, officer grip. Perhaps DW does offer that with top slide serrations, but mine does not have them. Top slide serrations listed in both the gun I bought, and their new listing on GB.

The upside down Y is visible in the pictures in both links. The blem mark is done by DW to my understanding. I am assuming the new Gunbroker photos are of the gun they are selling, the SN is different from my gun.

I will contact DW to verify and get more info.

No top slide serrations that I can find.
Finger Gun Trigger Gun accessory Air gun

#35 ·
If nothing else you will know more about your gun once you talk with DW. If it's a blem and the dealer didn't disclose that, it shows an absence of integrity. Maybe stop short of saying dishonest, maybe not. I always disclose everything I know about a gun when I sell one. I want people happy when they deal with me. (I'm not a dealer, just an Addict) Apparently the lust for the almighty dollar gets in the way all too often. Once I know someones integrity is gone I stay clear of them, both professionally and personally. I won't have any dealings with them.
Best wishes.

#36 ·
They knew it was a blem. From my emails:

We were not trying to be deceptive. Because of the excellent condition of the firearm we didn’t feel “ Blem “ accurately described it. We get in hot water the other way when we call it a blem and can’t tell the customer where the blem is. If for any reason you are unhappy with tour purchase please let us know

Thank you

Elk County Ammo & Arms

246 Brusselles St.
St. Marys PA, 15857

Phone: 814-834-9451
Fax: 844-553-1123

Hours of Operation: Mon.-Sat. 9:00 AM-5:00 PM EST

Sent: Sunday, December 9, 2018 1:25 AM
To: Elk County Ammo & Arms <ecaa@windstream.net>
Subject: Re: RE: RE: RE: SKU B01842

Update on this transaction. You represented this gun as a factory new, display model. It is a blem, sold by Dan Wesson at a discount. Very deceptive on your part.

Eric

Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2018 at 3:49 PM
I did edit my email, just to avoid spam.

#44 ·
They knew it was a blem. From my emails:

I did edit my email, just to avoid spam.
Thats complete BS on their parts! Saying they "get in hot water the other way, if they sell it as a blem and people can't find the flaw" RIIIIIGHT. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've called someone and said "Hey you son of a B, you claimed this gun had flaws and discounted the price. I find it in perfect condition. Wth?!? That's it, I demand you take more money from me!!" :confused:

They are crooked and should be turned in to the BBB

#37 ·
I am thinking the way I read the advertising underneath it said some of the guns come with the raised rib with serrations that would be the pm9 and stuff that is mentioned I don't think it is an option on the CCO gun. It is obvious by the wording of the guys ads that he is trying to be both confusing and misleading to make the guns sound to be more than they actually are.

#39 ·
Yes, I would be highly displeased if a seller sold me a gun, new or used, and did not disclose up front that it left the factory as a blem, and it is marked by the factory as a blem. In fact the omission of the word "blem" and merely describing it as a "Demo" with handling marks is highly dishonest. Actually I think its akin to fraud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.