close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Blending grips

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by rsxr22, Sep 19, 2011.

1. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Does anyone know how to do it? Ive seen some custom guys look like theyve done melt jobs on grips.. The only part i would like to get a little thinner and rounded is the front part of the grip closes to the trigger.

2. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    On G10 I have had to fit some before I just used Sand Paper.

3. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    For G-10 I would look to someone like Larry Davidson. For wood see Esmeralda.. Talk to her about grips too,,, if you remember.. LOL..Ron

4. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    Let's blend a Margarita and then talk grips. Do you own a small culinary blow torch? That would melt them. Sorry, I need visual aids. Got pic's?

5. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Larry D rounded the butt on a set of Warthog's for me and also rounded the edges of the grips all the way around. I would ask him what he used.

Chuck also does it, and does it REALLY well. I actually got the idea from Chuck off his builds.

6. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    From Larry with conversations I have had with him on other grips.

"just a sheet of 3D 220 grit wet/dry sandpaper folded into quarters...remove the grips and hit the texture tips to the level of aggressiveness you like then a quick spray with WD-40 and wipe em down and you're good to go"

"Hey Trevor...you can use some 220 grit sandpaper a small block of wood for a sanding block to tweak the bottom of the grip...G10 works fairly easy...just take it slow and try the grip after a few passes with the sanding block and keep the block square to the bottom...you'll get a good fit...thanks...larryd"

I am going to order some more from him soon, I like his stuff a little better than other G10 because it seems to fit the wider frames better.

7. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Took a quick photo. Im wanting to put an angle on it, to make them more contoured and rounded i guess, if that is the right wording.

[​IMG]

8. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    Using skdmrklcy's description from larryd, I would line the edge up to the edge of a bench/board and secure the grip. I'd then make a few light passes on an angle to see how fast the material removes and blend. Once you get the first row of "spikes" level to the grip base you can make a decision how to proceed. Hope that made sense. Good luck.

9. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    A piece of 220 sandpaper on a flat surface works a bit better.
    Go slow, check often. A bit of oil on the sanded area, when done will blend the color to match.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted