Bob-tail vs. Non Bob-tail

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by BCD 45, Mar 6, 2019.

1. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Another newbie question because I haven't shot a 1911 enough to know. Why do a lot of guys/gals dislike the bob-tail Commander or full size so much? Is it just looks and personal preference or do they shoot & handle different?

Seems like from my reading that a lot more dislike the bob-tail than those that don't care. I can see why they wouldn't like a bob with a shorter grip but I don't understand this with a Commander or FS. Thanks for explaining, I appreciate it.

Jim D

2. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I’ve had two so far a V-Bob and a No Name, I traded off the V-Bob and bought another No Name! Don’t know why but the DW just didn’t “fit” me but I love the feel of the GI

3. JohnnyEgo

JohnnyEgo Well-Known Member

May 17, 2017
    When you have meat-hooks for hands, you grow accustomed to the added stability under recoil that a full length grip provides. The bobtail can feel like it rolls in your palm under recoil. If you are comfortable shooting an Officer-framed 1911 or a subcompact wonder nine, it will probably not bother you one whit. It took me a bit to get used to, and I don't shoot it as fast as my conventional Government framed guns, but it's also not that much slower anymore. And it does conceal a little better (particularly with flat floorplate mags), which gives me a little more flexibility in wardrobe choices. I suppose life is just all about compromises and preferences.

[​IMG]

4. AZ Husker

AZ Husker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 14, 2017
    Compare a S&W revolver round butt to square. The square is bulky. Pretty close here. I love my bobtails, ever since my first Ed Brown Kobra Carry when they first came out. Now I only have two 1911's that AREN'T bobtailed. And the benefit of that missing corner makes a world of difference concealing on the waist. If they weren't popular many builders wouldn't be making them.

gps man and 41 Charlie like this.
  5. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    Nice Delta, Johnny!

6. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Thank ya'll for explaining for me.

Jim D

Mr. Knight likes this.
  7. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    @BCD 45
    It's been my experience that the bobtail conceals better.
    If you can shoot it as well as the non bobtail then you have an advantage.

If you can't shoot it as well then it could be a disadvantage.
    Not sure if that's a compromise I'd be willing to make.

Some can shoot the bobtail some can't, you'll want to try it before you commit to one.
    E. T. A.
    Mag changes are not as easy for some folks as well, it will take a little more practice.
    Vs say
    A gun with a round butt magwell.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    ImperialBlade and gps man like this.
  8. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Why is that? Is it what Johnny said, it rolls in your hand? Guess I don't understand that.

Jim D

9. AZ Husker

Oct 14, 2017
    The bobtail itself fits neatly in the palm of my right hand, unlike a standard frame which sticks out past my palm. It's a no-brainer for me, but everyone's grip is different.

ImperialBlade likes this.
  10. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    From your comments I have to draw the conclusion that it's a personal preference thing like choosing between a .45, 38 Super, or a 9mm. I don't know yet which one I prefer. I do think the non bob-tail is better looking, more traditional. That's just my opinion although I just bought a DW ECP bob-tail and it feels great in my hand. Thanks to all,

Jim D

11. AZ Husker

Oct 14, 2017
    Buy and shoot what YOU like.

12. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    For us arched mainspring housing guys, a bobtail is a natural.

Springer Champion - 02.JPG

Twins DW Guardian-004.JPG

Twins DW Classic C-BOB - 001.JPG

Springer EMP Contour-01.jpg

Joni Lynn and Fatbob Frank like this.
  13. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I'm a round butt guy..................

14. Fatbob Frank

Fatbob Frank Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Feb 5, 2014
    I like the V-Bobs a lot.
    Sig Nightmare too.
    Any bobtail really, but then I have girly hands and stability hasn't been an issue.
    They print less too when carrying, but I'm usually rocking a P938 so not much of an issue.

15. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Interesting, I have the exact opposite issue. I have gorilla mitts (@tac45 , there's your cue) and the bottom of the MSH digs into the heel of my palm on recoil. The arched mainspring housings and bobtails eliminate that.

I just installed one of the new Stan Chen SI magwells on one of my Springer's. Haven't been out to the range yet to see how it performs, but it has a nice round butt to it. It follows the contours of VZ grips better than any other magwell I have seen as well.

TexasBB likes this.
  16. Fatbob Frank

Fatbob Frank Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Feb 5, 2014
    I don't actually own a bobtail, only shot a couple.

17. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Of all the Non-pokey butts (Bobtail, round butts, radius thingys etc) My EDC X9 with a large backstrap fits me the best. Its a big-o handful!

IMG_1957 (2).jpg

18. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    2C41C4F1-44FC-4DBA-9360-0ECB29879516.jpeg
    You asked for it. :roflmaro:

19. joepilot

joepilot So soon old, so late smart... Supporting Addict

May 17, 2015
    I have one bobtail pistol, and I love it. The bobtail grip feels perfect in my hand. I wouldn't hesitate to have more bobtails if the opportunity were to present itself. Good stuff!!

limbkiller likes this.
  20. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Its just personal preference..
    I don't care for the void feeling. Same reason I don't like guns I cannot get a full grip on. no dangling pinkies, etc.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted