1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ETA: I worded this poorly. I have an Eb Brown (two-tone full firearm) with a smooth, stainless bobtail MSH. I would like to have it checkered to match the 30 LPI front strap or find one that is correct.

Sorry, for making this more difficult than it needed to be.

Original thread:

I think this is where this posts should go....

In 2012, just after the Dan Wesson fire, I bought two Dan Wesson 1911's; a CCO and a Guardian. I sold the CCO after six months because I needed the money and by then DW's were gone and a guy really wanted it. Of course, that's the one they discontinue. Today, I still have the Guardian, unfired, since purchase.

Last year, before my health fell apart, I bought an Ed Brown bobtail that has been through a few users' hands. It's beautiful, but there is one thing I would like to change. Per the build sheet that was included, it says the MSH was 30 LPI; the one on the firearm is smooth. I have considered making this a carry piece, after my LEO career fully crash and burns. However, I find the smooth MSH to get too slick, with anything but perfect conditions.

This brings us to two things:
1) How is the MSH supposed to be fitted on a bobtail 1911? I compared the Guardian to the Ed Brown (stock Guardian, believed to be not stock EB) and found there is some difference in how much gap there is between the back of the MSH and the rear of the handles (steel part, not grips). How much is there supposed to be, in a perfect world? Both are flush and very smooth transition, at and below the curve from the back of the handle to the magazine well.

2) How hard would it be and about how much would it cost to get 30 LPI cut into the current or a replacement EB smooth MSH? They only offer 25 LPI, currently, through EB. While I may have to go with this option, I would prefer the front strap and MSH checkering match.

2a) What is involved in fitting a MSH based on the answer to the first question. Again, approximate cost, for this service.

I am not looking to do this myself. Currently, I am not capable of the stability and fine hand-eye-coordination required to checker a MSH or blend it well. Not to mention the fact I'm not financially stable enough to have my first try be on an Ed Brown. No, I have not contacted them, yet. I thought someone on here might be interested.

Here are some pictures showing the Guardian versus the Ed Brown:

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
2017 and before, Dan Wesson was using Ed Brown bobtails. They would install them and blend a little and finish, but all in all, they fit fairly well.

Here are a couple photos of my older Dan Wesson's with stock Ed Brown bobtail mainspring housings "dropped in." You can see the out of the box fit on these. Not custom smith perfect, but good enough for the Z-man.

In 2018, Dan Wesson changed their rear profile making the Ed Brown bobtails too small.

Commanders - Dan Wesson - 02.JPG

Commanders - Dan Wesson - 06.JPG

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,000 Posts
Nighthawk has a great custom shop, you could call them and see if they would checker it for you if Ed Brown wouldn't do a 30 LPI. I bet Brown would figure something out for you.

BTW, you can't call Brown, you need to submit and email with your issue/question and they respond by email or call you. It's their system.

·
Premium Member
4,816 Posts
I think this is where this posts should go....

In 2012, just after the Dan Wesson fire, I bought two Dan Wesson 1911's; a CCO and a Guardian. I sold the CCO after six months because I needed the money and by then DW's were gone and a guy really wanted it. Of course, that's the one they discontinue. Today, I still have the Guardian, unfired, since purchase.

Last year, before my health fell apart, I bought an Ed Brown bobtail that has been through a few users' hands. It's beautiful, but there is one thing I would like to change. Per the build sheet that was included, it says the MSH was 30 LPI; the one on the firearm is smooth. I have considered making this a carry piece, after my LEO career fully crash and burns. However, I find the smooth MSH to get too slick, with anything but perfect conditions.

This brings us to two things:
1) How is the MSH supposed to be fitted on a bobtail 1911? I compared the Guardian to the Ed Brown (stock Guardian, believed to be not stock EB) and found there is some difference in how much gap there is between the back of the MSH and the rear of the handles (steel part, not grips). How much is there supposed to be, in a perfect world? Both are flush and very smooth transition, at and below the curve from the back of the handle to the magazine well.

2) How hard would it be and about how much would it cost to get 30 LPI cut into the current or a replacement EB smooth MSH? They only offer 25 LPI, currently, through EB. While I may have to go with this option, I would prefer the front strap and MSH checkering match.

2a) What is involved in fitting a MSH based on the answer to the first question. Again, approximate cost, for this service.

I am not looking to do this myself. Currently, I am not capable of the stability and fine hand-eye-coordination required to checker a MSH or blend it well. Not to mention the fact I'm not financially stable enough to have my first try be on an Ed Brown. No, I have not contacted them, yet. I thought someone on here might be interested.

Here are some pictures showing the Guardian versus the Ed Brown:

Here's a 25 lpi EB MSH as it fits on my Guardian. I took it off to put a Snake Skin MSH.
*note* each frame may very some as they are slightly blended on assembly. If you want it, you can have it. PM me your address.

IMG_3632.jpg
IMG_3634[351].jpg

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I thought the front strap on the guardian was 25LPI. I was actually contemplating this yesterday but didn’t want to go to LGS as they actually have the housing in stock as of last week. With the current craziness I don’t really want to go back for a while.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think there’s some confusion since the Guardian MSH is an Ed Brown. I’m looking for a 30 LPI stainless MSH for my Ed Brown full firearm. I confused it by showing comparison pictures to the Guardian.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
I think there’s some confusion since the Guardian MSH is an Ed Brown. I’m looking for a 30 LPI stainless MSH for my Ed Brown full firearm. I confused it by showing comparison pictures to the Guardian.
Well, that would do it. Show a bobtail on this forum and we all get . . . . . . . .

upload_2020-3-18_23-13-7.png

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Not the first time I was confused.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Here's a 25 lpi EB MSH as it fits on my Guardian. I took it off to put a Snake Skin MSH.
*note* each frame may very some as they are slightly blended on assembly. If you want it, you can have it. PM me your address.

View attachment 441079 View attachment 441081
If nikerret passes, I’ll trade you for a brand new Cabot T-shirt. Size XL put away just for you.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I received the Ed Brown bobtail MSH from TheCollector, today. I threw it on the EB Custom, since that’s the one I’m thinking about carrying. Wow, that makes a huge difference, in grip capacity. It even looks kind of cool, on the stainless frame. Now, I know I want to get a stainless one for it, preferably in the 30 LPI the front strap is done in. Then, I’ll move the blues one to the Guardian.

Here are some pictures of the blued MSH on the two-tone Ed Brown. It isn’t blended perfectly, but it fits nicely.

98FFB782-5C8B-4C54-AFED-C64A018C2304.jpeg
B76BC7B7-27F7-47AD-8333-C1EA527F3776.jpeg
DB8A36CD-66A6-4509-90CB-FD0197439034.jpeg
C75CA70D-CEBF-4539-8A95-E25BE23C03D0.jpeg
78BEC092-23FE-47BB-BFA8-C98198E6B158.jpeg
1F00A29E-E988-4A70-9F92-941885496D91.jpeg
A8DC3BE9-BEF7-407E-9FC8-3ECBF842687F.jpeg

·
Premium Member
4,816 Posts
Pretty nice fit for right out of the box. :thumbs: :cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts