1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently did a full strip down of the 1050 for a thorough cleaning. Put a Mark 7 on it not long ago and have been cranking out the 9mm like nobody's business.
Well, last night I made 150 rounds and to the T every single one of them had proud primers.
Tore that 1050 down again to the bare parts, cleaned everything again and put it back together.
Ran 10 more rounds... all had proud primers.
Was about to burn the garage to the ground out of anger, when I realized "Dumbshit, there's a primer depth adjuster on the toolhead". So, yeah, I'm an idiot.
Good news is that I was able to do a bunch of failure drills with my Glock today loading one round per mag. About 40% or so didn't fire because the first primer strike just shoved the primer further into the brass. But again, I got some good practice mag changing and failures.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for sharing, reload long enough and mistakes will get made, we are all human. If I had a dollar for every time I have used my kinetic hammer over the last 20 years LOL. Better safe than sorry. This thread got me thinking about what I would do if I had high primers and consider the consequences. Fortunately, my progressive binds and sticks when primers don’t get seated so I never get the case loaded before correcting.

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for sharing, reload long enough and mistakes will get made, we are all human. If I had a dollar for every time I have used my kinetic hammer over the last 20 years LOL. Better safe than sorry. This thread got me thinking about what I would do if I had high primers and consider the consequences. Fortunately, my progressive binds and sticks when primers don’t get seated so I never get the case loaded before correcting.
Mine should as well, and it was tripping the clutch. But, like any good American, when it didn't fit, I just got a bigger hammer and made it fit. Increased the clutch level and I'm guessing the Pawl probably got banged up as well.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
First off, to autodrive!

Can I ask if you noticed the issue before or after the range session? If before, I think you were wishing you had something less technologically advanced at your disposal like a hand priming tool to fix those up

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First off, to autodrive!

Can I ask if you noticed the issue before or after the range session? If before, I think you were wishing you had something less technologically advanced at your disposal like a hand priming tool to fix those up
Yup, I use a Shockbottle Hundo 100 round case gauge and after loading it, I always run my fingers over the rounds too see if there's any proud primers. I knew after the first batch.
I have a hand primer, and I've pushed in primers before, but the more I load, the more I realize it's not really a good idea. Instead, I just use them for drills like I did today.
Some of my heavier slides will slam the primer the rest of the way in off the breech face. Glock is a little light in the ass to do it.

·
CEO of DILLIGAF industries
8,484 Posts
Thanks for sharing . I learn something new about reloading all the time . Recently picked up a used Dillon XL 650 and between switching calibers , cleaning it up , and finally getting it lined out , running great , learned quite a bit . Should've bought one years ago . I've been using a Lyman turret press and a RCBS Rock Crusher for at least 40 years . Best way to learn the fundamentals . But , this progressive is great . Knocking out 300 45 acp , piece of cake .

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for sharing . I learn something new about reloading all the time . Recently picked up a used Dillon XL 650 and between switching calibers , cleaning it up , and finally getting it lined out , running great , learned quite a bit . Should've bought one years ago . I've been using a Lyman turret press and a RCBS Rock Crusher for at least 40 years . Best way to learn the fundamentals . But , this progressive is great . Knocking out 300 45 acp , piece of cake .
This is what a Sat night will do for you with a Mark 7 and 1050.
These are all good ones.
Carmine Cylinder Number Tape measure Measuring instrument
Spice Dishware Metal Serveware Kitchen utensil

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
thanks for sharing. learning from others mistakes might save some of us from making them too

Reactions: Dub
1 - 13 of 13 Posts