Bought used 1911 9mm AUTO ORDNANCE..wondering what year it was made ?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Trucker1911, Feb 29, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Trucker1911

Trucker1911 New Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Just purchased my first used 1911 9mm pistol at Cabela's. Engraved on the left side of the slide barrel: AUTO-ORDNANCE CORP. then directly underneath 9MM AUTOMATIC and then to the left is a bullet shapped outline with the name Thompson engraved inside.

On the right side: ESSEX ARMS then directly underneath HARDWICK, VT then directly underneath the engraved number 76521 (s/n per cabela's).

They could not give me any info on the gun....date manufactured, shot xx times, etc.

If anyone can help..please let me know. From what I have seen in lots of pictures on various websites...it appears there have been modifications....grips, trigger, etc. None of the pics match mine.

I've attached pics of mine. Anyone have any ideal how old my 1911 is, etc ? Any info would be appreciated.

0226121725b.jpg 0226121725c.jpg 0226121724.jpg

2. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Sir, it would appear you have what's often referred to as a "Frankenstein" gun, as it has been put together with parts from different manufacturers. Essex and Auto Ord are/were two totally separate, non affiliated manufacturers, so some individual built this gun from parts. this doesn't always signify a bad thing, depending on the parts quality and the individuals skills.

Unfortunately, Essex and Auto Ord neither one ever had a stellar reputation for quality control of their finished product. Hopefully the assembler did a good enough job that you'll have a good, reliable shooter. Only range time will tell.

Bob

3. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    :welcometo:

Greetings!

As Arkie says,it is DEFINITELY a "Frankengun",but having said that,give us a range report.9 mm 1911's are fun to shoot and usually very accurate.

Welcome aboard! :wave:

DAT85

4. paid4c4

paid4c4 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 26, 2011
    Ad Dat said WELCOME to nut house! Your new pistol should should just fine. Some of us build "Frankenpistols" so you're starting out a head. Let us know how it shoots.
    Bill

5. wade-19

wade-19 Global Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aug 17, 2011
    Shoot and enjoy . My first 1911 was a 9mm Springfield upper on an Essex frame.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted