1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Bravo Concealment BCA OWB holster fit for Government 1911's

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Greenrunner 
#1 · (Edited)
The range that I shoot at prefers that I use a Kydex holster instead of leather, as they're worried about the leather getting soft and folding over into the trigger well when the pistol is holstered. I've decided not to argue with them. So began my journey into the land of Kydex.

What I've come to appreciate is that not all 1911 Kydex holsters actually fit all 1911's. Naturally, if you have a rail or full length dust cover, this will impact holster compatibility. Less obvious, however, is the fact that thumb safeties, slide stops, and dust cover thickness on "standard" 1911's can vary enough from one 1911 model to another to impact holster fit.

Bravo Concealment is one of the few Kydex holster manufacturers that distinguishes between 1911 models. Unfortunately, they only build holsters for common production 1911's. I inquired about a holster for Guncrafter, Wilson, and Les Baer. Their reply was simply that they don't support any of those models.

One of the guns I shoot is a Dan Wesson Valor. Since Bravo Concealment makes a holster for Dan Wesson, I decided to pick up one of their BCA OWB Kydex holsters. I tested it using my Dan Wesson Valor, Wilson Combat X Tac, and Les Baer Custom Carry.

Gun Brown Firearm Trigger Line

The fit with the Valor was perfect, as one would hope.

The X Tac fits, but it's a little loose. It looks like this is because the slide stop on the X Tac (the bullet proof extended slide stop) is not as wide as the extended slide stop on the Valor. When the Valor is holstered, the slide stop does make firm contact with the holster and eats up some of the lateral play that would otherwise be present. The holster still has enough retention to be usable for the X Tac, but there is enough free-play that the gun rattles a little in the holster when you move about.

The Custom Carry does fit, despite having a thick dust cover. However, when the thumb safety is on, the lever will interfere slightly with the sweat shield on the holster. It's usable, but I don't like the idea of the sweat shield pushing down even a little on the thumb safety.

One of the nice things about leather is that it naturally adapts to these "minor" dimensional variations. I can use the same Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 holster for all of my Government 1911's.

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't know what to expect regarding holster wear. I'm certainly not seeing any signs of it yet, but I haven't had this holster for very long.

All of my guns are "shooters." I don't have any safe queens. I've accepted the fact that holster wear is going to happen. Luckily, 1911's can be refinished.

#4 ·
I use a Bravo kydex for my non-railed 1911s when I take courses. Have had it for well over 7 years and it’s just as crisp as it was brand new.

Reactions: B81
#7 ·
I agree. Even if the holster (or tail of your shirt) does slip into the trigger well, the thumb safety would prevent an AD. But, this is one of the few ranges near me that allows tactical/defensive pistol shooting. So, this dude abides.

#9 ·
FWIW, I had a chance to test this holster with my GI No Name.

With the GI No Name, there is a little bit of play between the gun and holster. However, at least for me, the play goes away when I put my holster on and tighted down my gun belt (using a Wilderness Tactical 5 Stitch). The retention feels the same as my Valor (which the holster was made for).

#12 ·
If you range is worried about ADs during reholstering, it should ban Glocks, not leather 1911 holsters.
My brother in law, who happens to be a cop, had a negligent discharge trying to holster his M&P 9mm in his driveway on a Sunday morning before church. He was very embarrassed and vague on the details, but basically, I forced him to admit he had his booger hook on the bang switch when he went to shove it in his pants. He’s ok, and I promise I haven’t razzed him about it too much.;)

The holster was a kydex IWB.

#13 ·
I recently bought a Comp-tac holster for carry and range use. It has two adjustment screws that can be tightened or loosened depending on your pistol width and the amount of retention you want. Mine fits my LBII very well and can be tightened to hold my Colt Combat Elite. Holster comes with belt loops and a paddle attachment. Works well either way.

#14 ·
Kinda reminds me of the thread about a hard chromed 1911 not fitting well in a holster
You know that was true. They are thicker! Just don’t fit! [emoji6]
I never thought of that, but I use my hard chrome Spec. Combat Gov't to break in a new holster because it is the most difficult 1911 I have to fit. Live and learn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.