close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Brazen Bill

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scaramouche, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    If William "Brazen Bill" Brazelton was anything, it was ingenious. A better con man than highwayman, Brazelton first attracted attention in the mid 1870s when he announced to the citizens of Prescott, Arizona Territory, that he was capable of swallowing a wagon wheel and would do so when his traveling show came to town. Ticket sales soared following that outrageous claim. After collecting all the money at the gate, Brazelton told the audience that his assistants for the stupendous wheel act had just arrived and were "making their toilet". When the crowd started to fidget, Brazelton ducked out, saying he would hurry the others along. There's no way of knowing just how long the audience sat before they realized there would be no show that day. Brazelton was long gone. He had more luck with his wagon wheel scam than his later attempts at stagecoach robbery. His first heist on Sept 27, 1877, went well enough. Wearing a black gauze mask, waving a shotgun and a six shooter he stole several thousand dollars in cash, gold dust and jewelry. After four more stage robberies in Arizona and New Mexico Territory, an expert manhunter realized that Brazelton was putting horseshoes on backward to confuse pursuers. (This was Pima County Sheriff Charles A. Shibell). The curtain finally fell on Brazen Bill in 1878, when deputies ambushed him just east of Silver City. As shots rang out, Brazelton was heard to gasp, "I die brave, my God, I'll pray till I die". They took the slain outlaw to Tucson, tied his bullet ridden body to a chair and displayed it at the courthouse.

brazen-bill.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  2. Oldag

Oldag Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Died with his boots on.

Kip and Scaramouche like this.

3. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    He was certainly creative in his dishonesty. I'll give him that.

Bro. Pappaw and Kip like this.
  4. GoetzTalon

GoetzTalon Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 21, 2011
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted