1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4,827 Posts
Primers can be had online for seven cents per and sadly, that's as good as it gets these days. in 9mm, you'll probably use 1.5-2 cents worth of powder per round and the bullet will cost a dime or so for a cheap 115-124gr. FMJ or plated bullet.

So, you're looking at about 20 cents per on the cheap end to load 9mm and that is without the cost of equipment and your time factored in. I have personally seen prices of late that have me looking at purchasing 9mm factory ammo in the future and using my primers in .32/.38/.357 cartridges that are much more expensive.

I enjoy reloading and casting my own bullets. When I use primers bought before '20 and cast my own bullets out of wheelweights that I inherited and my bullets that I sift out of the berm, I can reload .45acp, .38spl., etc. for 4-5 cents per round and these days that seems unreal but it was only three years ago.

· Registered
4,827 Posts
If you favor interesting and antique cartridges reloading is essential. Some unusual cartridges are beyond expensive into ridiculous off the shelf.
That's a fact. I love the .250 Savage. I can neck up .22-250 brass and that's awesome, because it's everywhere around here. Just this morning I was looking at ammoseek.com and I searched .250 Savage ammo out of boredom and curiosity. There is exactly one seller with exactly two boxes of Winchester 100gr. SP ammo for the low, low price of $125 per 20 rounds. At that price I expect to be buying ammo for a .500 Jeffrey.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts