close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"Break-in" ammo?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by cogniscenti, Aug 23, 2011.

1. cogniscenti

cogniscenti Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Having picked up an ATI Titan Tactical FX45 SS on Cuong's suggestion, I've yet to fire it.

Is there a particular ammo I should use for "break-in" purposes, or should I just try whatever I can get my hands on?

Beyond that, do you guys find that your guns prefer one brand over another?

Thanks!

2. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    I would go with anything that's FMJ 230grain. Wally World's Federal or Winchester seems to work for me. Or you can try to see what the new Fin Feather and Fur has in stock for FMJ 45ACP.

3. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I've ran an awful lot of WWB for breakin.. It's dirty enough to provide lapping compound.. LOL.. I like Federal American Eagle for the range.. Fiocchi runs well for me too.. Ron

4. Wilson kimber and kimber

Wilson kimber and kimber New Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I used 230 gr fmj sellorand bellot on 13 new kimbers at break in ( first 500 rds ) , and it was good ammo, but get the cheapest u can in your area thats 230 gr fmj. They say if a 1911 will feed fmj , they are actually harder to feed than hollow points . --------------- BILL WILSON SAID IN HIS VIDEO, and he knows the 1911 pretty well , i listen.

5. mike.h

mike.h New Member

Aug 20, 2011
    PMC 230 gr FMJ works well in my mil-spec.

6. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    I usually use WWB.

7. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    I use whatever i can get. Mainly WWB.
    The one ammo that you can buy at stores and i would stay away from is Remington in the green & white box, like you can get at ****'s Sporting Goods.
    I've gotten a lot of bullet setback when the rounds get chambered. Other's have also noted the problem using the same ammo.

8. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011

9. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    LOL.. I've had bad performance out of Remington, UMC and the maroon box federal.. Honestly Privi Partizan runs better than that stuff for me.. I like the American Eagle for moderate power and consistency.. I had 750 rounds recalled, but they replaced it within ten days.. No questions asked.. Ron

10. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    WWB or American Eagle. Whatever is cheaper that I can find in store or online.

11. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Yup, all of the basic ones for 230 grain FMJ. Winchester White Box (WWB) and Federal American Eagle are sort of the standard. S&B, Speer Lawman, CCI Blazer and CCI Blazer Brass are also ones to consider, if the price is right.

Andy

12. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    Pretty much all I use currently is Federal American Eagle fmj 230gr. That is without saying that one day I'll acquire all the dies to reload for it. I just sold off all my dies for the .40 S&W and since I purchase a lot of the Federal, there's really no sense in buying the dies until I thin out all the AE's. I bought all of it way before any of the recalled ammo. I really like it for break-in. I do however have stockpiles of other .45 ammo, mostly SD stuff. I've not yet ever tried WWB in .45, just lot's of 9mm.

13. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper Member

Aug 29, 2011
    I picked up 700 rounds of WWB ammo and 50 rounds of the Winchester bonded hollow point ammo. I shot 1,000's of rounds of WWB 9mm out of my Glocks with no problems.

14. doc.lonestar

doc.lonestar Texas CHL Instructor

Sep 11, 2011
    I like to run 50 fmj before running jhp during inital range visit. After that its all jhp.

I shoot and carry the same ammo - whitebox jhp for my 45's, 40's and 38+p. Running 500+1k rounds a range visit tends to get expensive shooting premium ammo. I also have liked USAAmmo.com for thier reman and new jhp.

15. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    When I bought a new Les Baer, I was told to use a quality brand FMJ for breakin.
    I used 500 rounds of Speer Lawman. I had two feed issues in the first 50 rounds fired.
    Following that, it ran like a top!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted