1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys recommend as an affordable break in round for a new 1911? I have a DW Razorback on the way and want to put the recommended number of rounds downrange in the most cost-effective way possible.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Agree whatever you can get.
The DW will most likely run out of the box.
But it's always nice to proof them!

·
Registered
823 Posts
What does the owners manual say?

No 1911 should "require" break-in!

The only exceptions are the purpose built Precision Pistols. These are not intended for combat, pistol games or EDC!

Some people want to think their gun requires break-in so it fits the narrative of the few "boutique" guns.

Firing 100 rounds to verify function with certain ammo and magazines is another story. You determine reliability in this way. You may call this break-in!

Smiles,

Reactions: 1911_Bandit

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,480 Posts
It's a little vague. Says " We recommend a break-in period of 300-500 rounds before the gun is competition/combat ready."
Dan Wesson has a very specific break in procedure for my PM 9. It specified how many rounds to fire before cleaning in several intervals . I don’t remember total round count before it was finished.

I believe it is specified as such to prevent galling of the stainless.

I used to think 1911s ought to run perfectly out of the box. I have had two that did, and two that required a break in. Just follow the manual instructions . I prefer to run them wet on break in. But again, reference your manual.

As for ammo , pretty much anything with a brass casing will do. I’d pass on steel casing ammo, even if it was the only thing left.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree with everyone else that you pretty much have to use what you can find right now but that said, I generally run about 150-200 rounds of quality ammo through just to test reliability and function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
The owner's manual that came with my recently purchased DW ECP recommended hardball. It also recommended the same procedure as Badabing11 as far as stripping/cleaning regularly after so many rounds. I don't remember how many either. I guess I assumed that I could look it up when things cleared up so I could start the break-in.

The owner's manual that came with the ECP was pretty generic. Probably applies to all DW 1911's.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Referencing back to my new DW ECP, I bought a case of 230 gr hardball for break-in and also so that if something turned up that involved the warranty I could say that I had shot only commercial ammunition.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Welcome,
Congrats on the Razorback, like others have said whatever you can find, If your a minimalist and a one gun type you got a keeper if you reload even better.
I’d stay away from steel case not even sure if there’s any of that in 10mm anyway.
For my Razorback I ran PPU, Armscor and Sig through it initially with a majority of it PPU.
The PPU was mild (good) plinking round, break in regimen check your owners manual, and run it wet, being the Razorback is SS you will not have the duty treat issues with solvents.

If you save your brass and reload, the PPU brass may not be the most ideal as you can run into
Bullet tension issues.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
What do you guys recommend as an affordable break in round for a new 1911?
Get the most const-effective, non-corrosive primer ammo. The cheaper it is, the more you can shoot.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
DW recommends 500 rounds break in, clean and lube every 50rounds, jacketed ball ammo, HP after break in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
DW recommends 500 rounds break in, clean and lube every 50rounds, jacketed ball ammo, HP after break in.
This was the recommendation in the owner's manual for my Valkyrie. You can find .45 brass ammo in the .30-.33 range if you look hard enough.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Personal opinion is 230 gr FMJRN backed by 6.3 gr of Hodgdon CFE Pistol. :)

Oh, you wanted something commercial? I'm with the rest: whatever you can find at this point (except for steel cased). I'd probably go after WWB if I had to go commercial.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts