Breaking in a Leather Holster

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by clearshot7, Feb 12, 2012.

1. clearshot7

clearshot7 New Member

Jan 10, 2012
    I recently purchased a Galco SSS Side Snap Scabbard for my SW1911Sc Series E. Love the gun, and trying to love the holster, but having trouble breaking in the holster - followed Galco's directions, that being putting gun in plastic bag, twisting back and forth to loosen stiffness and stretch leather, and leave gun in holster for a few days. Unfortunately, the holster still is tight, preventing an easy drawing, no matter how loose the retention screw is. I am wondering if the holster was not made correctly or I just need to be more patient and let more time pass to loosen up the leather. Are there any "tricks" to loosen up leather holsters? Thanks, for any suggestions, info, etc.

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    be patient. the plastic bag usually does the trick.

3. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    In lieu of the plastic bag take an old "dress sock" & insert gun in sock and then the holster. Works a little better and quicker than the plastic bag.

4. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    The sock is a new one to me.

A zip-lock bag and two to three days has always worked well for me.
    Please resist the use of oiis and conditioners.

5. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    Take saran wrap and wrap it around to the point it's thicker than plastic bag. It will better conform to pistol than plastic bag. You can also double the bags and put some leather conditioner on the inside of the holster to slightly help the process.

6. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    I use wax paper...seems to work well....

7. deadguy

deadguy Jack Welch Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Wrap it and do the ol in-and-out a few times before leaving it in a day or three.

8. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Wearing it also helps. :smile:

9. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011

CAUTION.... Remove sock from FOOT FIRST !!!!!!!

sorry Bugs.... I could not resist....

10. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I'd suggest using a CLEAN sock as well.

11. carljc72

carljc72 1911's & Gunleather Supporting Addict

Sep 27, 2011
    I have never heard of the sock method either. Interesting.

If the plastic bag/saran wrap does not do it for you, I would suggest wax paper. The wax paper is a little thicker and as long as you wrap the gun with the wax side out, it will transfer a little bit of the wax to the holster (which will not hurt it). I would also recommend trying to wear it as much as you can during break in. Please make sure gun is unloaded.

12. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    DITTO. It does work on hard to break in holsters though. I had a FIST holster for a RAMI that was a bear to break in with multiple plastic bag attempts etc. Pistol in dress sock left in holster for 2 days did the trick. Now I can also draw with my foot.

13. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    I always put a couple condoms on the gun and let it sit in the holster for a couple days. Safest method i have found.

14. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I'd like to see ANY positive reference by a holster manufacturer for the use of "conditioners" on their product.

Bob

15. rahrah12

rahrah12 Member

Aug 18, 2011
    I used saran wrap...took about a week. I would also walk around the house with the gun wrapped in saran wrap in the holster and on my hip...

figured te holster would also conform to my body and a little body heat couldn't hurt...

16. carljc72

carljc72 1911's & Gunleather Supporting Addict

Sep 27, 2011
    Bob, I can give you my opinion but it is just my opinion. "Conditioners" is a pretty loose term. I would not want to say there are not any conditioners that would be ok to use. The only issue I would have is testing. I do not recommend anything I have not extensively tested.

Many leather conditioners are made to soften the leather fibers. Softening a concealed carry holster is the last thing that I personally want to do. The retention can be affected when you start softening a holster. I also do not recommend them because I can't control how much or how often the conditioner is applied. I could say that product "X" is safe to use on my holsters, but in reality that is going to give a few people out there a chance to ruin a holster and it be "my fault".

I will give an example. I use neatsfoot oil in certain rare situations. When I use it, I use it by the drop. Now I have a buddy that will take a perfectly good holster and apply neatsfoot oil often, and about a tablespoon at a time. His holsters are the way he wants them to be (soft and flexible like his baseball glove). If he turns his holster even remotely angled downward, the gun slips right out. So my point is that while neatsfoot oil can be used safely to arrive at a desired effect, it can also be used to "ruin" a holster as well.

I want my holsters to be rock solid for a long time. That is why I don't recommend any conditioners. My $.02. I hope this helps a little. Carl

17. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Why don't you guys just put the gun in the holster on your belt and practice drawing and dry firing for about 15 minutes a night for a week. Breaks the holster in, adds character to your roscoe AND makes you better on the draw...instead of wasting all the plastic wrap, baggies, and socks...geeze...everyone wants the easy way out...LOL!

Heck, I WANT my holster to HOLD the gun in case I get into a wraslin' match with a bear...wouldn't want that critter grabbing up my "Rocky" off the pavement and shootin' me with it ya know!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  18. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Exactly what I was thinking, cept I couldn't a said it that nicely, eloquently,respectfully, obsessively, etc,,,,

Bob

19. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    ^ To keep adding to that, actually, I found that by taking an 8-hour "run your gun" type of course in 90+ deg. 85%-humidity weather, you'll break-in an IWB leather holster *perfectly.*

:smile:

20. nomad

nomad Active Member

Aug 22, 2011
    I think you guys scared the op away with your smelly socks. :lol:

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted