1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Watching for details.

Reactions: Capthobo

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Known weak point.
I trust you are getting a name brand homogeneous replacement and are making sure of an internal countersink.

·
NRA Endowment member
3,149 Posts
Tagged

·
Hit it while its hot
142 Posts
Not sure why more companies don’t integrate that part with the frame at this point. Purism?
the argument I've heard is if the tube gets crushed it can be replaced. My counter would be "Dont you think hit enough to crush that tube is going break the frame too?"

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
the argument I've heard is if the tube gets crushed it can be replaced. My counter would be "Dont you think hit enough to crush that tube is going break the frame too?"
No have seen tubes damaged with no frame damage at all. Look at a tube as a stand alone part it is not very robust to say the least.

·
Double Secret Banned
2,148 Posts
I've replaced plunger tubes on 1 Springfield and 3 Mimbers.

Look for the 10-8 Precision article on doing this job. Makes for a better than factory install.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
If you manage to squash your integral plunger tube, you "just" mill it off and put on a GI type.

The main advantage of the separate plunger tube is in manufacture. Before the plunger tube and grip screw bushings go on, the sides of the receiver are dead flat off the mill or surface grinder. Note that most of the integral plunger tubes are on cast receivers.
Also made for reparability in Army service.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I think if it was more than a tube, like the 2011 or Caspian high cap has, you’d be hard pressed to crush it.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I broke one on my Wilson 5" Protector model in 9mm about 2 years ago ( gun was 11 yrs old ) and had around 225,000 rds thru it ..../ I didn't do the repair - sent it to Wilson Combat under warranty....they fixed and returned it in about a week. I was happy ..!! ( they pay freight both ways too ...).

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I broke one on my Wilson 5" Protector model in 9mm about 2 years ago ( gun was 11 yrs old ) and had around 225,000 rds thru it ..../ I didn't do the repair - sent it to Wilson Combat under warranty....they fixed and returned it in about a week. I was happy ..!! ( they pay freight both ways too ...).

I like to do my own repairs , just something I like to do.:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts