1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe I'm typing this but I after getting home from a range trip today and breaking down my gun I quickly realized it's broke. Somehow while at the range the guide rod broke apart and came out. Has anyone ever seen this before? I'm at a total loss. The funny thing is I only had one misfire and it was a failure to load, which I honestly thought was the mag. I cycled the slide and on I went with no other issues. Since the gun is brand new I'll be sending it back for warranty but wtf? I feel like I should buy a different guide rod and recoil spring now regardless of what MR send back to me. The recoil spring is definitely bent a little as well. See my pics for clarity along with a pic from the manual. I'm open to suggestions from ya'll with experience. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER
3,192 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
It happened to me once. I had an aftermarket FLGR in my Springfield Ultra Compact. I was shooting Cor-Bon loads and the head seperated from the rod. When it cycled the rod fell out and the slide jammed. I sent it back to the manufacturer and they sent me a replacement. I was shooting the same loads in my Glock 36 and it proved to be quite a handful.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Back in the day, I used a GR assy from Wilson in an officers model Colt.
Might take a look on their website to see what options they have for you.
Food for thought, why send it back and have them replace it with what has proven to be a weak part.
Not saying GR system is weak just Bul/magnums manufacturing process on the short guide rods is weak.
BTW I like Bul/Magnum guns especially at the price.

Reactions: TexasIconic

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These are the way to go. As long as you are swapping a few things....replace all the ignition parts with EGW or someone reputable. Make friends with the Brownells catalog.
Thanks for the EGW plug!

Back in the day, I used a GR assy from Wilson in an officers model Colt.
Might take a look on their website to see what options they have for you.
Food for thought, why send it back and have them replace it with what has proven to be a weak part.
Not saying GR system is weak just Bul/magnums manufacturing process on the short guide rods is weak.
BTW I like Bul/Magnum guns especially at the price.
I pretty much came to that conclusion promptly after posting. I still cant believe how easily it broke. I'm ordering a new rod kit today.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I pretty much came to that conclusion promptly after posting. I still cant believe how easily it broke. I'm ordering a new rod kit today.
I Agree, they make a nice gun, put a decent guide rod in it!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So Kahr just got back to me and said they would gladly take my pistol back for repair (and sent the shipping doc) or they would send me the parts directly. I'll gladly take the parts and save them for backup.
On the other hand I ordered the EGW replacement and I think it'll ship before the end of the day.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
EGW guide rod assembly fits like a champ. After holding this thing I can't imagine using anything else now on a regular EDC piece. Well worth the money. They shipped immediately and responded to all my correspondence on fitment since my gun wasn't listed Looking forward to doing more business with them. I would say if you own a BUL you should change out being you've got the same rod that I broke 1st time at the range.

Rectangle Cosmetics Font Office supplies Writing implement
Writing implement Office supplies Wood Pen Ammunition

1 - 16 of 16 Posts