1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, thanks to all you forum vets who post regularly and informatively to help beginners like me. I greatly appreciate it.

My father in law gifted me a RIA 1911 back in November, and since then I've put about 2000 rounds through it, practicing marksmanship, safety, comfort, and generally having a damn good time.

Last visit to the range I noticed I was grouping a full foot higher than I was sighting, and it took me a second to figure it out, but it appears as if the sights on my gun are loose. In the attached pictures, you can see (A) how they normally rest against the slide, (B) how they rise up slightly sometimes, and (C) how they pop up at a 45 degree angle with some shots and stick there. The latter position is how they were when my shots were going a foot high.

On closer inspection there seems to be some kind of residue on both the slide and the bottom of the sites. Am I right to assume these are normally glued down and have somehow come loose? What's the best way to address the problem? Is it something a newbie can do with confidence?

Thank you for your time and advice!

PS. When I previewed my post, the imgur.com images I embedded appeared as broken links, so I've attached the three images referenced in my post as jpegs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
First, thanks to all you forum vets who post regularly and informatively to help beginners like me. I greatly appreciate it.

My father in law gifted me a RIA 1911 back in November, and since then I've put about 2000 rounds through it, practicing marksmanship, safety, comfort, and generally having a damn good time.

Last visit to the range I noticed I was grouping a full foot higher than I was sighting, and it took me a second to figure it out, but it appears as if the sights on my gun are loose. In the attached pictures, you can see (A) how they normally rest against the slide, (B) how they rise up slightly sometimes, and (C) how they pop up at a 45 degree angle with some shots and stick there. The latter position is how they were when my shots were going a foot high.

On closer inspection there seems to be some kind of residue on both the slide and the bottom of the sites. Am I right to assume these are normally glued down and have somehow come loose? What's the best way to address the problem? Is it something a newbie can do with confidence?

Thank you for your time and advice!

PS. When I previewed my post, the imgur.com images I embedded appeared as broken links, so I've attached the three images referenced in my post as jpegs.
Perhaps only the elevation screw is loose. Could you post a picture of the top of the sight

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
If you can find a screw that fits the elevation hole you can replace it.
Email RIA and they may be helpful
IF not
Call Dawson Precision they have sight for everything
you may find a replacement sight on their website.
If yo don't change loads often you might consider a fixed sight.

Reactions: KS95B40

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
PS welcome to the Forum!

Reactions: KS95B40

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Yep it's gone
From the photo looks like the threaded stud is still there and the top of the screw sheered off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep it's gone
From the photo looks like the threaded stud is still there and the top of the screw sheered off.
I literally only take this gun to the range once a week. How would something like that happen?

Thanks for identifying the problem. Might just send it in to RIA.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Send them an email and that photo they may just send you the screw.
Whole lot faster and less painful than being without the gun for a while.
IF they will send the screw and spring that goes under it.

Reactions: pard

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Send them an email with the photo.
Ask for a screw and the spring that goes under it.
usually a lot quicker than sending the gun back!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts