Broken Slide Stop on DW CCO

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by barmandr, Nov 20, 2011.

1. barmandr

barmandr SHEEPLE HERDER Supporting Addict

Oct 11, 2011
    Broken Slide Stop on DW CCO CS Update

Ok guys...got a little problem. While preparing to clean my Dan Wesson CCO a small piece fell out of the right side. I then noticed it was part of my slide stop. My slide stop had sheared right about where the barrel link is. It is a 2010 CCO with approx. 600 rds of 230gr WWB through it. I am assuming DW will cover the replacement as they should be able to just send a new one which should not require fitting. On to my question...any idea what may have caused the breakage? Other than a bad part, the only thing I can think of is the barrel may not be properly fitted. Does it sound like anything else? Would just replacing the slide stop be a fix or is there a deeper problem? Thanks in advance for the help.

Barmandr

*** Update***
    Just got off the phone with Dan Wesson customer service. Kieth from DW called and I was very pleased. I had called DW CS earlier and got an answering machine message telling me to leave a message and a rep would call the same day. Having heard this promise from other companies, I was not overly confident and expected to have to call back until I talked with a live body. Keith was very easy to talk to, treated me well, and was very professional. He believed it to be a bad part, though he had not heard of one breaking like this before. He appologized and said he would ship a new part tomorrow and asked me to return the broken one to him so they could put it under a scope.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  2. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I'll ask even though I can't answer your question. Have any pics of it?

Oh, and don't tell any Kimber owners about this. The non-MIM parts aren't supposed to break like that. :snicker:

3. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Might be a bad/defected SS and/or a badly fitted ramped barrel. I don't remember if the SS is made by DW or Greinder.

4. barmandr

Oct 11, 2011
  5. Heretical45

Heretical45 Lurker 4 life

Nov 3, 2011
    Wow that is a porous casting... Or m.I.m. Call Dan wesson and let us know what they say!

6. barmandr

Oct 11, 2011
    Kieth stated it was barstock. I'm thinking cast. It does stick to a magnet and I don't think mim parts will.

7. asiparks

asiparks Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    That does look like a very porous casting... I believe that it's a Greider Ledge safety.

I'm surprised that Keith didn't want the gun back, to make sure that the new stop is fitted and functional, and to be absolutely sure the breakage wasn't a symptom of something else awry...

8. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    Check the barrel link and see if there are other signs. Hopefully it was fitted correctly and isn't giving undue stress to the SS and causing it to break.

9. Rinspeed

Rinspeed Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Certainly looks cast to me.

10. barmandr

Oct 11, 2011
    It is a Greider. There are no issues i can see with the lugs or link...no abnormal wear. I'm thinking, since it appears very porous, that it was just a weak, bad part.

11. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Might be a good time to let Greider know.

12. Cigarhead

Cigarhead Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Keith is a great help there. He's solid, he'll email you back, and he knows what he's doing. Glad he was the one who helped ya.
    He's helped me a few times in the past, recently too. I guess it's due to me having too many Dan Wessons.

if that is possible?

13. saltydog452

saltydog452 Member

Mar 2, 2012
    If the horizontal cross pin on the slide lock/release isn't a load bearing part, how could cast, MIM, or forged be a player?

Thanks,

salty

My bad. Old Thread, but no resolution posted.

sd.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  14. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    It's actually a really important part, and takes a lot of abuse. Therefore, a correctly make slide stop helps. A proper pin should be 0.200 or 0.199. It does a few functions:
    • lock up the barrel when the slide is in battery. Helps with grouping.
    • helps to stop the barrel w/ the link, and frame, on the barrel's rearward journey.

so every time you fire the gun, the pin takes a beating.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted