Brownells "Retro" 1911

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Au Jus in Bello, Nov 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Au Jus in Bello

Au Jus in Bello Well-Known Member

May 19, 2017
  2. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Could not agree more with your last statement.

This could be a nice pick-up when they clearance them out a year from now for $999

KS95B40, Capthobo, stlgecko and 3 others like this.

3. Au Jus in Bello

Au Jus in Bello Well-Known Member

May 19, 2017
    (Shhh...that's what I was thinking. :ninja: )

Joe C likes this.
  4. seanarms

seanarms Member

May 24, 2018
    Front strap checkering looks nice.

5. wobblie

wobblie Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    That’s the gun we aspired to back in the 80s alright, shooting USPSA before the comp-guns took over.

6. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    Arched mainspring housing gets bonus points from me.

KS95B40, Amp Mangum and ZoidMeister like this.
  7. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    So brown is now building production guns?

LPRoad, Jollyroger1 and ZoidMeister like this.
  8. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
  9. WC145

WC145 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2013
    The way I read the info on their site Ed Brown is building them for Brownell's, but the frames are labeled Brownell's and BRN-1911.

10. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

Nov 4, 2011
    They look like Dasan frames, slides, barrels etc. So yeah, it's a lot like an E.B.

Busa Dave, gun_fan111 and Joe C like this.
  11. Hunter Rose

Hunter Rose Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Agree on the above comments on the Brownell's markings. I like what Brownell's is trying to do, but from a marketing perspective it would make sense to have a subsidiary/custom shop and give it a different name.

I know that is silly and the makers mark shouldn't matter if it is a well built pistol, but it is what it is.

12. gun_fan111

Mar 23, 2014
    This of course is just a guess, but I do not think EB is actually assembling these firearms. The way I read that description is EB is supplying the parts and may have trained Brownell’s armorers to assemble them.

If EB was building these, why would they want to put Brownell’s name on them versus just doing a new “collaboration” model under their own name?

If EB was building these, why would you as Brownell’s not want to clearly state that in the description to drive better customer adoption?

13. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2017
    I think you may have stopped reading before you got to the last line:
    "Inspired by the Classic Custom 1911 of the '80s - Built by Ed Brown & Available ONLYfrom Brownells"

blamo and WC145 like this.
  14. gun_fan111

Mar 23, 2014
    Ha! Yes, yes I did

15. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

Nov 4, 2011
    It's a cool lookin' gun but I think they're kinda missing the price point a bit. Most buyers are going to buy something more proven at that price point. Unless you're willing to "build a brand", it's going to be an uphill battle when it comes to longevity in the market. I just don't think Brownells is willing to go through all that for this side project.

16. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
  17. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2017
    As far as the price point is concerned, I tend to disagree with some of you. $2,500 for an Ed Brown built two-tone with retro-styling seems about in line with other comparables -- Les Baer Boss is the same price, a Les Baer Concept III is a couple hundred less, a Colt SCG is about the same as Concept III, etc. If there's a comparably specced two-tone out there for a grand please let me know.

18. WC145

WC145 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2013
    I agree. I'm sure the execution is there and that it's a nice gun but the Brownell rollmarks on the frame are a big turn off, kind of like the CZ 1911 - great gun, horrible rollmark. And, for a real "retro '80s" look, it needs to be a Colt. In fact, I'll bet that an enterprising 'smith could take new Colt S70 repros and build similar "retro '80s" pistols at that price point and move more of them than Brownell's is going to.

stlgecko and Journeyman1234 like this.
  19. wobblie

wobblie Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    8CF2F4FA-B915-4F22-BE04-B1F5BA23D2C5.jpeg Like this?

Attached Files:

WC145 and dogman like this.
  20. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I think we will see a review in Shooting Times or Guns and Ammo soon. They will lower prices until they find the sweet spot for these and then they will sell. It will also depend on how they are received by the first shooters to plunk down money for one out of curiosity. A few early reviews, good or bad, will make a big difference.

WC145 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted