1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I see purist of the 1911 get in a fit about 1911's with an external extractor instead of the original internal.

Saw that the Browning 1903 has an external extractor so this design was not foreign to JMB!

Was wondering if anyone knew why JMB went with the internal extractor on the 1911 instead of the design like the 1903???
ooooooo.jpeg

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Even the Master grows and learns . . . .

This was 8 years before 1911 . . . .

Next theory?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Even the Master grows and learns . . . .

This was 8 years before 1911 . . . .

Next theory?
Hi,e
I guess the white elephant in the room, is if the external extractor is considered better or more reliable than the leaf spring type internal type??

Did JMB use the internal as he thought it was less prone to damage in a military type weapon?

I have not been able to answer this, thought maybe someone here could???

·
Deo Volente
7,520 Posts
Bill Laughridge says this of the 1910 Prototype,
Ejector

The ejector was the same as the 1911 except that nose that contacts the case was undercut and pointed on the top of the undercut. The ejector was retained with the cross pin contacting the front post exactly like the 1911.

Reactions: seagiant

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,
Well I know the ARMY's input was quite extensive on the 1911 that we know today.
Off the top of my head, the grip safety, thumb safety, and arched mainspring housing was implimented to please them.
Colt had the old ARMY contract for the revolver and wanted to keep it with the 1911, which of course they did!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts