1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom's in the market for a new semi-auto, and she really likes the Black Label. She's very comfortable with an Airweight but would like something new.

She's very healthy but small (5'00") and in her early 70s. She tried one at Cabelas and had no difficulty racking it.

I did a search here and read everything that I could find, but I was wondering if anyone has recent experiences with this firearm. I'm particularly interested in how it would work with the body type of the lady in question.

She's looking at the 4.2" model in .380ACP. She likes the version without rails because it's "pretty," but she would be open to suggestions otherwise.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
637 Posts
You might want to check out the Smith & Wesson “Easy” series in 380 & 9mm. Top rated personal carry pistol and very safe with palm safety, cheaper too!
That would be my pick.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for weighing in. My mom tried the EZ and liked the Black Label more. She thought it was easier to rack. Beyond that I don't know why she took a liking to it. Maybe because it's a 1911, and I suspect that they might lend themselves to addiction :^)

The Black Label has a grip safety, too.

9mm is out since there's more recoil and more difficulty in racking.

Have you tried both in 380?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I shot one when they first first came out a few years back, it had some feeding issues, but after a little tune up,(polishing and new springs) it was very reliable. It was new out of the box at the time. I love the mini-1911 look sizing in at 85%, and the feel of it. The .380 ammo has come a long way and while I'm not up on the best .380 defense ammo, I've read it is a lot more potent than prior offerings and seems to get adequate expansion and penetration. As far as a 5'0" women shooting the pistol, my mother and daughter are both 5'0" and they shoot a Ruger .380 just fine. So if she like it, I say go for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts