1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
~ ~ Disclaimer ~ ~
As stated previously by me. I only post these threads here because they don't have a GunJones or Hobbysmith forum here.

As the title says... This is a self build (#10) that I'm about to undertake. It is more for those who like to tinker than those who are proficient or in the business of true gunsmithing. Of which I have total respect for.
If you haven't had the extreme pleasure of following one of my projects. I just ask that you take this all for what it is worth.... next to nothing. (with a little sense of humor thrown in)

I recently received my JEM frame, grip safety & main spring housing (MSH) I have already posted pics of the other small parts from Harrison Design or Wilson Combat. The slide from Caspian is still MIN (missing in Non-action) I'll be calling them Monday. As they should have delivered by now.

I am in the process of doing what I can while I wait for the slide. Usually I start by first measuring the slides critical dims. and the frames mating surfaces. I then fit them together and go on from there.
Sooooooooo... "Plan B" is to do what I can while I wait for the slide.
The first thing I do is clean up the machined frame from JEM. I deburr all the sharp edges to minimize blood lose from slices. I use my trigger track stone to eliminate burrs and machine marks.
Since I don't have all the hole reamer sizes, I use my gage pin set and a tap handle to clean up the critical holes so they fit the intended parts to be used. (see pics below)
My first task will be to fit my trigger for a zero drag fit.
~ Note ~ I don't have a mill so all of this is done by using Bubba Tools. (see pics below) Most of them were precured from TTT by contacting @tac45 . (KIDDING!!!!)
End result on day one... Frame is internally massaged. Trigger track & trigger fitted. The mag. release was also deburred for all sharp & friction causing edges.

Tomorrow I will pick up from here & move forward. ..... Mrs. C. is calling.. something about grilling some ribs!!!! :p

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Wood Shotgun
Wood Tool Creative arts Sewing machine feet Household appliance accessory
Rectangle Wood Air gun Gun barrel Trigger

@Merton @Uncle Bob @Dwe @JM44 @Slapshot @wrmiller

·
Premium Member
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
What me worry ?
12,742 Posts
@TheCollector , Mr B ,there ya go again , TTT uses only the finest ACME tools. !!!
Caspian Slides. ? Long wait ? Project delayed ?
I’ll have you know TTT has your needs in stock , no hold up ,no excuses !!!
Order accordingly:
Short slide

Regular

Or long slide

As usual send cash and more cash for expedited service !

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'm in as well! I know I'll enjoy it.

Bubba tools? Why not? I've had a Bridgeport for almost 40 years and still don't know what the hell it's for??

And with @tac45 's guidance, how can you possibly go wrong!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Just wrap the ribs in foil and toss on closest outdoor concrete surface - turn in 30 and serve…….

Nothing gives more satisfaction than a bubba- build done well. I rescued a Colt Officers ACP of 1986 era complete with all the cheese cutting edges which surrendered to files and sandpaper today on a picnic table in hunting island SC - at least the fans blew off the file dust if not the mosquitoes or the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update #1

After 2 days & 4.5" rain, the sun was out with clear skies this morning. The perfect combination for an early round of golf. Bubba Smiffin would have to wait.

Todays task started by dropping my Harrison thumb safety in place. Fortunately I have used this product before. The first time was a real learning experience for me. So, for those who haven't used one of John's TS I'll share lessons learned. For those who know this stuff, bare with me.
The TS can drop in and protrude above slide rail slot and look unmatched to the rear of the frame. (see first pic) That's because John's
TS has some material where other brands don't. Its where the punch is pointing. (see pic 2) You can think of it as a down stop and work it off until the TS aligns better with the frame and drops down below (or close) the frame rail channel.
(pic 3)
I installed the sear, disconnector & hammer (Yes! a rubber band as a light weight mainspring 🤣)
Working with file & fit, file & fit, file & fit.... (as the Jason Burton vid says.... sneak up on it) until it allows the TS to install fully and then until it allows TS engaged position.

~ ~ ~ NOTE ~ ~ ~ The fixture for holding TS while fine tuning is best made from a premium grade of 1/2" exterior plywood. :rolleyes: 🤣

More updates later..... Its time for a "Cold One"

Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Hood Automotive design Bicycle part
Guitar accessory Tool Automotive tire Wood Gas
Musical instrument Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory Electronic instrument
Wood Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory
Musical instrument accessory Wood Musical instrument Material property Tool
Wood Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory
Wood Everyday carry Air gun Trigger Gun barrel

1 - 20 of 56 Posts