1911 Firearm Addicts banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
What’s up with the rubber bands?
Cuz I aint got no money ta bye da reel parts. I gotta mak do with whatin I got.

Actually... I find myself thinking outside the box by so far, that I'm usually in my neighbor's kitchen.

Reactions: sawman556

·
Premium Member
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
As noted earlier I have a 3-4 month wait for my slide to arrive from Caspian. :mad:
So I've taken this as far as I want to go now. I've blended most of the components 85-90% and did a very light glass bead blast on those parts. It will show me what needs some final touching. However, I still need to fit slide to frame & barrel to slide. I'm sure that work will result in handling marks & such. So there's not any reason to go beyond this for now. I did want to assemble it in mock-up form to get a feel for where it is headed. This also helps me from losing or using parts that are intended for this project.

So... assembled as it is.. into the safe it goes.

Revolver Wood Air gun Trigger Tableware
Wood Trigger Table Air gun Gun barrel
Air gun Trigger Wood Revolver Gun barrel

·
Premium Member
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
UPDATE #4
Its been two months waiting for the slide to this project. It finally arrived, so we move on.
The first thing I did was to clean up what sharp edges and burrs left from machining. I must admit, Caspian did a better than normal job on this one.
After mapping the interfacing surfaces on my "Zoid's" work sheet. I determined what dimensions had to be worked to get close to a slide/frame fit.
Since my metal working equipment isn't as elaborate as Karl's, Steve's, Jason's or Dave's. I have to apply a bit more elbow grease than hand lotion.
I dressed the frame deck with 320 grit on my granite surface plate (aka. granite counter sink cutout)
I knew I had to reduce rails width by .004" I setup my rail stoning jig with 220 grt. wet & dry to take .0015" off both rails. I did that saving the dry sanding rems. off the paper. (for later use)
Inserted the 320 stone in the jig and wet stoned it to near fit width. (a slight interference fit with rubber mallet)
I then took the garnet/SS dust I saved and mixed it with some FP10. I used this as a lapping solution until I could get the slide on fully with fairly heavy hand pressure.
Pulling the slide off and cleaning both slide & frame I put them back together with pure FP10 and worked them until they would slide with one finger pressure. I cleaned again, used clean CLP and they slide like they are on.................. shark snot! (@tac45 )
I can honestly say that there is no detectable vertical or horizontal movement.
Tomorrow.... or the next day. (my fingers are raw) I'll move on to barrel/slide mating.

Font Wall Wood Tints and shades Rectangle
Font Parallel Circle Number Rectangle
Saw Drill Tool Power tool Handheld power drill
Hand tool Marker pen Gas Tool Paint
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gas
Trigger Gun accessory Machine Cylinder Gun barrel

·
Premium Member
NHC Falcon, Shadow Hawk, G21 and 19X
7,296 Posts
Lord that’s gonna just be smoking!! I love those grips B!!

·
Registered
10,195 Posts
UPDATE #4
Its been two months waiting for the slide to this project. It finally arrived, so we move on.
The first thing I did was to clean up what sharp edges and burrs left from machining. I must admit, Caspian did a better than normal job on this one.
After mapping the interfacing surfaces on my "Zoid's" work sheet. I determined what dimensions had to be worked to get close to a slide/frame fit.
Since my metal working equipment isn't as elaborate as Karl's, Steve's, Jason's or Dave's. I have to apply a bit more elbow grease than hand lotion.
I dressed the frame deck with 320 grit on my granite surface plate (aka. granite counter sink cutout)
I knew I had to reduce rails width by .004" I setup my rail stoning jig with 220 grt. wet & dry to take .0015" off both rails. I did that saving the dry sanding rems. off the paper. (for later use)
Inserted the 320 stone in the jig and wet stoned it to near fit width. (a slight interference fit with rubber mallet)
I then took the garnet/SS dust I saved and mixed it with some FP10. I used this as a lapping solution until I could get the slide on fully with fairly heavy hand pressure.
Pulling the slide off and cleaning both slide & frame I put them back together with pure FP10 and worked them until they would slide with one finger pressure. I cleaned again, used clean CLP and they slide like they are on.................. shark snot! (@tac45 )
I can honestly say that there is no detectable vertical or horizontal movement.
Tomorrow.... or the next day. (my fingers are raw) I'll move on to barrel/slide mating.

View attachment 837319 View attachment 837320 View attachment 837321 View attachment 837322 View attachment 837323 View attachment 837324
Nice work Bubbah! I too go through Q-tips by the boatload :)

·
Dremel jockey
4,763 Posts
DANG!
You got it goin' on!

Reactions: TheCollector

·
What me worry ?
12,749 Posts
@TheCollector , Dear Mr B , congratulations on your new build Sir .
In that you have been a great customer of TTT, you know we always are here to help. !
I noticed that slide you purchased, I hope at a discount, has been forged incorrectly, leaving it exhibiting
Squiggles all over it .
It’s ok , after you get done hacking, chopping ,filing and hitting the thing with a hammer, TTT can salvage the mess and provide you with our SFK (slide fixit kit ) # 65498

Liquid Fluid Font Bottle cap Rectangle

As usual send a bag full of cash ( large bills preferred. )

·
Premium Member
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
I love those grips B!!
Nice work Bubbah! I too go through Q-tips by the boatload :)
@TheCollector
after you get done hacking, chopping ,filing and hitting the thing with a hammer, TTT can salvage the mess and provide you with our SFK (slide fixit kit ) # 65498

View attachment 837376
Sorry Greg... those were only for mockup.

Uncle Bob... I have Mrs. C. buy them at Costco by the gross. (Q tips)

Tac..... I think a product improvement for your SFK would be to include some JB Weld HD. You know, for fixing slide cracks from TOO much hammering. After all, most of us are just Bubba-Jones.

·
What me worry ?
12,749 Posts
Sorry Greg... those were only for mockup.

Uncle Bob... I have Mrs. C. buy them at Costco by the gross. (Q tips)

Tac..... I think a product imprrovement for your SFK would be to include some JB Weld HD. You know, for fixing slide cracks from TOO much hammering. After all, most of us are just Bubba-Jones.
Vertebrate Product Mammal Sleeve Gesture

·
Dremel jockey
4,763 Posts

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Nice
I'm I correct in thinking that the " Damascus " is what caused the delay?!

·
Premium Member
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
UPDATE #5
Today was barrel fit day. I started with a Wilson "Drop In" barrel set. We all know that almost zero drop in parts ever drop right in. Being aware of this, I started with hood length. The first thing I noticed is the breach face wasn't aligning perfectly 90 degs. to barrel configuration. I chose not to let that be my main focus at this point with the miss-match being about .001-.0015"

once the hood was dressed to allow upper lug engagement I checked that. It was .0465"
With a #3 link & a .200 dia slide stop pin, the lower lugs were showing pretty nice contact and giving me close to .045 upper lug engagement. (all this is based on my primative measuring equipment.. height gage & dial indicator)
I dykemed all the surfaces for some contact mapping. After a lot of hard hand cycles I determined I wanted the slide to travel a bit further forward. Using my lug cutter tool. (poor man's mill) I removed enough to get me close to what I was looking for. (I don't have a left hand cutter that will put material back on)
I checked my head spacing. (yeah... I know... you can't use a casing as they all vary) I measured this casing and compared it to a REAL casing gage dimension. It was .002 short of gage length. When I measured it to breach face it was .007" (.002 + .005" for nominal) I'm good with that.
I have put the gun together and plan to run 50-100 rounds on Wed.
I'll take it apart and see what I have. If all goes well, I'll final blend & finish prep.
Ref. the last pic..... WTF is the masking tape on the plunger tube??????
Every Bubba knows it holds the plunger tube in place by the grip, prior to staking...
:rolleyes:

Cosmetics Office supplies Material property Tool Gun accessory
Hood Automotive tire Grille Asphalt Road surface
Grille Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Trunk
Brown Air gun Trigger Wood Font

·
What me worry ?
12,749 Posts
Can’t wait for Wednesday, can't wait , hope the popcorn holds out 😳

Cartoon Vertebrate Art Organism Font

·
Premium Member