Bucket Cleaners....Ultrasonic....How to Clean a Really Dirty Firearm??

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Nalajr, Apr 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Hey all,

My buddy called and asked me a question today. He wanted to know if I had ever used those bucket cleaners where you just drop your pistol in, let it soak for a bit and then get it out and you're all set. I've never used one, don't know a thing about them. He also wanted to know about Ultrasonic cleaners. I've never seen or read about these, but I guess someone back home has one and my buddy seen it and is interested. I told him I'd get him answers to his questions....so here I am.

He also wanted to know how you clean and really dirty pistol or rifle. He's talking about a .22 pistol that's had a LOT of rounds thru it over a month or so and it has powder residue built up, caked on, really dirty. He wanted to know what the best way to clean a pistol like this would be. Would the bucket cleaner do it if you let it soak for a while? Would you just have to use Hoppe's and a brush and scrub?

Do you have any answers I can pass on to him?

Thanks all.
    Larry

2. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Good old hand cleaning is still the best. Ultrasonics won't get it done. They degrease great but won't really clean them. I had a really good one at the Sheriffs Office and was underwhelmed. I don't know about the bucket kits.

3. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2018
    I’ve never heard of this bucket kit but I’m interested. I know they used to make stuff like that for cleaning carburetors before rebuilding them but that would take any finish off of any metal

4. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    If memory serves me right, C&S sells the bucket cleaner.

5. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Ultrasonic or dunk tanks ...will sometimes work...but there are some issues with them...

A. depending on what cleaner you use in them -- they often take all of the residual oil off all the parts ( internal & external )...which means the gun should be fully disassembled & properly lubed after its cleaned. They are not a "dishwasher" ...where you just drop a fully assembled gun into the tank...and expect it to come out clean .../ most of the guys I know who bought them...were looking for something easy .../ drop a gun in & it comes out clean ( nope ..!!)... because they did not want to disassemble a gun....

B. They work to clean best ...on guns that are fully disassembled ...so each part in the cleaner ...has no contact with other parts. So they are useful if you need to soak some real heavy crud off a part or two...

If you have a gun that's been neglected with all kinds of carbon & fouling built up....and use these cleaners after you fully disassemble the gun..I have found the results less than satisfactory / and you end up doing a lot of hand scrubbing on parts anyway.

So, in general, you are better off fully disassembling a gun ...soaking parts in cleaners as needed...and cleaning by hand.

6. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I just clean my guns by hand. If it's really nasty I hose the parts down with Kroil aerosol and let it soak for a while before I mess with it. Usually cleans up fine after that.

1911 dawg and limbkiller like this.
  7. HooDoo Man

HooDoo Man Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 26, 2017
    Good Post. I've used Dunk-It by Cylinder & Side for about 30 years. I love it and will not be without it. Lasts a LONG time and just follow the directions and it makes cleaning easy. Mine you I clean my weapons usually after every range time. If it's really dirty #9 and a little more elbow grease is needed. Dunk It, a brass brush, and a air compressor will make your life easier. Its not cheap($100) but its a worthwhile investment. Check it out. I bought a Ultrasonic and sold it. C & S is the only one who sells it.

8. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Uhh, I think you missed your golden ticket. You should have put the dunk-it in the ultrasonic machine! It might turn back time!

9. The Mulberrian

The Mulberrian Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Stainless container, Acetone soak, & some denim (Levi Jeans) material to rub it out.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted