1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Shooter Ready.....Stand By!
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been putting together a budget AR for 3 Gun. Started with a Ruger AR 556, added an ALG ACT trigger, Magpul Forend, ALG2, AXTS Raptor charging handle, Precision Armament M4-72 muzzle brake and washer kit, Viking Tactical sling, Vortex Strike Eagle riding on an Aero Ultralight mount.

I just sighted in the scope on Saturday and look to shoot my first match Nov 26th.

I know its not ideal, but it should get the job done.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Nice AR build. But what the hell is that thing below it in the picture?

·
In Kentucky
9,377 Posts
James tell me that isn't a block

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure is..a G34 with a Dawson ICE magwell, Apex trigger, Zev spring kit and Taran Tactical sights. Cheap capacity for 3 gun.

·
i'm riding a turtle!
3,210 Posts
You're gonna shoot 3gun......I only see 2 in the picture. What shotty you gonna run?

·
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Runnin my 870 until after Christmas, when funds can be replenished. Then I plan to upgrade to a JM Pro.

·
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trying to learn to quad load is kickin my azz.

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,482 Posts
Nice rifle. Nothing "budget" about it imo. You seem to have covered the bases with modest priced, hi value upgrades.

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,059 Posts
For the AR- your setup is fine. As long as you're not having to deal with some of the crazy 800yd target shoots I've seen some 3-Guns run, that rifle will outshoot you. I'd figure out how to slap a 45 degree BUIS on it, for when you have to engage close up then go long. Using the cattail isn't a good idea to go from 1 power to 4 power in that situation.
G34 is a fairly common 3 Gun pistol. AFAIK, I'm the only person I've seen run a VP9 as my primary, but it's to each his own.
As for the shotgun, piece of advice- spend a few bucks more and get a Versamax Tactical. They even have one setup for 3 Gun. The JM is great, but i've run one twice in a 3 Gun and it froze up on me both times. My Versamax has never missed a beat. Plus, it has a piston recoil system like the Benelli (hell, it is the Benelli system they let the patent expire), and double 00 shot feels like 7 shot.

·
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Depending on my gun fund at the time, I may go a more expensive route. My neighbor is suggesting the JM Pro as it has a lifetime warranty. He says just send it in and you get a new shotty in 2 days. He is a FFL dealer and can handle the returns for me.

But breaking down in a match is not something I want to have happen.

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,059 Posts
I should caveat this by saying the JM was well over 2,000 rnds through it- so far from new for a shottie. Plenty of people run them with no issues (or Jerry wouldn't put his name on it).
The recoil control of the VersaMax will be the biggest decision maker for you. One ounce slugs feel like nothing. I've shot them from a kneeling position in a VTAC barrier and was able to transition to the next target with no problem. Accuracy is great as well. One drawback (besides price) is that there are a ton more aftermarket products for the JM, but you really don't need much as this shottie is comp ready out of the box.

Reactions: 1911KY

·
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really like the Stoeger M3K but it only has a 5 year warranty.

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,059 Posts
If you end up taking 3 Gun as seriously as some do, you'll do so much tinkering and smithing to your shottie that the warranty goes out the winder 6 months after you buy the thing.
Don't get wrapped around the axle on warranty. Quality outweighs warranty all day every day.

Reactions: 1911KY

·
Plank Cranker
87 Posts
First, as a curmudgeon in training and a a long time sporting clays shooter, the word "shottie" is the most vulgar of terms possible to describe a very useful and versatile weapon. Use "streetsweeper", "scattergun", or "duck rifle" if you must, but please don't use that other word....

Second, you've got a fine rifle. I put together an AR with a locally rollmarked lower and a box-standard RRA A4 midlength upper. That rifle with iron sights served me well for 2 or 3 seasons of 3-gun before I built my next 3-gun rifle. It's very dependent on the clubs you shoot at. Most of my local clubs will never have a shot over 100 yards. Irons are OK for 95% of the shots. Red dots are faster, and good for about 98% of the shots. There may be a couple of shots on small targets that require a 1-4 or 1-6, but they are not all that common. You've got a good setup. Play the game enjoy the ride. Equipment helps but you can do well with pretty pedestrian gear. A Glock 17 (or34), an 870, and a fairly standard M4 can take you pretty far in this game.

·
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol....

There are several rifle targets out to 300..so, I figured an optic was a must.

I plan to run the 870 until I get the hang of quad loading and until I can afford a better scattergun!

I would love to get a 2011 but I would have to sell a Baer...and I am not ready to do that.

Reactions: Bro. Pappaw

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,059 Posts
Lol....

There are several rifle targets out to 300..so, I figured an optic was a must.

I plan to run the 870 until I get the hang of quad loading and until I can afford a better scattergun!

I would love to get a 2011 but I would have to sell a Baer...and I am not ready to do that.
2011 isn't needed. You can tune that G34 just fine.

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,059 Posts
First, as a curmudgeon in training and a a long time sporting clays shooter, the word "shottie" is the most vulgar of terms possible to describe a very useful and versatile weapon.
I can think of a lot more vulgar words to describe a very useful and versatile weapon:
Purple headed yogurt slinger
All-beef thermometer
Pecker
Dingaling
Schmeckel
The ol' Rogernator
Tony the Wonder Llama (watch it, he spits)

I got a lot more if needed

1 - 20 of 47 Posts