Build times and gunsmiths

Discussion in 'Nighthawk Custom' started by Nineteen-ElevenObsession, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Nineteen-ElevenObsession

Nineteen-ElevenObsession Active Member

Jun 21, 2020
    Out of curiosity, does anyone know on average how long the NHC smiths put into a build? 20 hours, 30 hours? Less, more? Just wondering how long they dedicate to each build. I mean theoretically, I could see them being able to build a complete gun in an 8 hour day, considering their expertise and the quality of the parts. But I'm sure they put in a bit more than that.

Also, for my build I'm looking to request either Travis Gregory, Bryan Chaney or Joey Lehr to do the work. I'm wanting to have on of the guild members do the build, which TG and BC are. I know Joey isn't yet, but I know he builds most of the Marvel guns and his stippling work is amazing. I'd be happy to have any of the above do the build.

Any others to consider in your experiences?

2. pcar157

pcar157 Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Don't forget Allan Wyatt!

3. rockittsled

rockittsled Active Member

Apr 8, 2020
    Interesting question for any smith to answer.

4. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
  5. Karl Beining

Karl Beining Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 8, 2015
    I can't say I have ever put myself on a clock per-se, but 40-150 hours, depending on all the variables that come to mind

6. Nineteen-ElevenObsession

Jun 21, 2020
    My understanding is that he's head of R&D now so he's not really doing many builds for customer guns these days. He designed the NHC classic which is sharp. But heading up R&D is a pretty sweet gig I bet.

A45GUNNER likes this.
  7. Nineteen-ElevenObsession

Jun 21, 2020
    If I had to make an educated guess for places like NHC, WC, etc, I'd say probably somewhere in the ball park of 20-25 hours total build time including finishing.

Just imagine they have to put some type of cap on it based on the number of guns each year.

Karl Beining likes this.
  8. Karl Beining

Oct 8, 2015
    I don't doubt that one bit, that may even be on the high side for standard 'catalog' builds.

Integrity Arms, Mike Meints and Dub like this.
  9. rmac

rmac Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 26, 2016
    There was a thread on this in the past 6-8 months. Rob Schauland of Alchemy Gun pretty much nailed it.
    Do a search of the thread and prepare to be amazed.

Mike Meints, gps man and Dub like this.
  10. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    I am confident that a "solo" Smith or smaller shop such as Karl's, Steve's and our other esteemed colleagues put quite a bit of time into each build, whereas the larger shops are a bit more "assembly line" especially the catalogue guns. I certainly hope to have a gun built up individually someday....perhaps as a retirement gift to myself

11. rockittsled

rockittsled Active Member

Apr 8, 2020
    :)
    Ever just spend an hour or two just looking, racking, and just "Damn, I'm good"

12. Karl Beining

Oct 8, 2015
    :D:D Not often, most times that warm fuzzy feeling doesn't come until the customer gets it and likes it

Sininja, Uncle Bob, Kip and 15 others like this.
  13. Dub

Dub born in the wrong century

Mar 19, 2017
    :thumbs:

:thumbs: :cheers:

:usa:

You, sir, made me glad I kept reading this thread.

Uncle Bob, A45GUNNER, FWoo45 and 2 others like this.
  14. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    And that is exactly why going to a solo stellar smith will produce a better quality gun than purchasing or sending a gun to an assembly line shop like NH or Wilson. You get what you pay for!

Thank you @Karl Beining

switchback, AJP, A45GUNNER and 7 others like this.
  15. Karl Beining

Oct 8, 2015
    Better has many connotations, and I make no claim to being any of them over another shop, I just want to build guns the way I see fit, for clients that like the way I see fit, if that makes sense . . . I appreciate the kind sentiments

OldCuz, Kip, Integrity Arms and 13 others like this.
  16. Brennerman

Brennerman Active Member

May 12, 2020
    Never heard Nighthawk to be compared to an assembly line before. Wilson combat, sure I can see that since there are a few hands on each handgun.

Genes 1911 likes this.
  17. JM44

JM44 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2018
    No idea on timing. You listed some good smiths there. I also like Brennon High, he builds lasers

18. Nineteen-ElevenObsession

Jun 21, 2020
    Sometimes but not always. I recently saw a $5,500 new build from a very well respected smith that had enough gap between the slide and frame to see the recoil spring. That in my opinion is unacceptable.

19. rmac

rmac Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 26, 2016
    If you don’t want a cracked dust cover there MUST be some gap between the dust cover and the slide. Said gap is not noticeable on most builds because of using a full length guide rod.

JD31, wrmiller, switchback and 5 others like this.
  20. Genes 1911

Genes 1911 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2019
    If NC is a "production" outfit, and bar stock parts snap together like Legos,I've been had!
    In truth, the 5 month build back log has to be a marketing gimmick.....