Building a 10mm

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by wrmiller, Mar 5, 2020.

1. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I am building a 10mm, based on a 80% Jem frame and slide. I also bought the Jem GS as well. I am currently waiting on the Jem slide, and a KKM barrel. But I have the GS and a Chen MSH, so I thought I'd start at the bottom and work my way up.

IMG_0442.jpeg

The Jem GS 'almost' fit, but I needed to clean up the frame a bit on the inside as well as take a bit more off the radius to get the EGW thumb safety to go into position. The Chen MSH was not even close to slipping into the Jem frame. So out came the files and sandpaper. I'm in no real hurry on this project and I'd like to give this build a little extra effort.

IMG_0446.jpeg
    Finally got the MSH to fit. It's VERY tight though, needing a little persuasion from a drift to start it out of the frame.

IMG_0453.jpeg
    I liked the little mini 'round butt' I did on my Kimber, so I decided to do it to this pistol as well.

IMG_0464.jpeg
    I finally made up my mind to put a mag well on this thing. And I decided to make my own this time. First thing is I need a nice flat piece of stainless, 0.300" thick.

IMG_0455.jpeg
    I hate face mills because they throw sharp, hot, chips half-way across my shop! I managed to cut the frame and the mag funnel without scrapping either part.

IMG_0461.jpeg

Those are grips I fitted to a different pistol, but it looks like they should work on this OK. The mag funnel piece fits nice and tight on the frame. I won't be silver soldering it on until I cut the frame rails. And I can't do that until I get the slide and get some dimensions from it.

IMG_0462.jpeg

But I'm liking it so far. :)

Edit: I guess I can start on the frontstrap checkering while I wait for my slide to show up.

2. swampgas

swampgas Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 10, 2019
    In for the learning, I'll never have the tools tho.

Kip, Sagebrush33 and wrmiller like this.

3. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    You can build a 1911 with nothing more than a good dremel (or Foredom), files, sandpaper, a small granite block or piece of glass, and some basic measuring tools. You won't be making a mag funnel from scratch, but I actually cut a 1911 frame for a ramped 38 Super barrel with a dremel, carbide burrs, and files. And all dimensions were within a thou.

This method does take a lot more time and patience, but I used to think of it as an escape from work and the daily grind. It worked to. :)

4. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    LOL, that's why I do most of my smiffin at my desk at work . . . .

zipper046 and wrmiller like this.
  5. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    I’m in

wrmiller likes this.
  6. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    ahhhh… the advantages of having a turning spindle and moving bed.. :)....:frown:

Looking good...…….. whittle on!

wrmiller likes this.
  7. swampgas

Mar 10, 2019
    Sold all my tools months ago, so it's a watch party for me

wrmiller likes this.
  8. Snakebill

Snakebill Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Planning a 10mm build myself. I found a colt combat delta 10 slide. I’m also going JEM frame. Good luck CA9020AD-21C7-4F95-A5A5-BD49B54FA3F4.jpeg

wrmiller and Mike Meints like this.
  9. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Looks good I'm along for the ride.

wrmiller likes this.
  10. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    In for the ride.

wrmiller likes this.
  11. Sagebrush33

Sagebrush33 Active Member

Feb 18, 2020
    Subscribed ..... I love builds like this.

wrmiller likes this.
  12. swampgas

Mar 10, 2019
    You need any parts? For free, not a solicitation

wrmiller likes this.
  13. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Oh I still need lots of little stuff, as I just bought the important (read expensive) stuff to get started. :)

ChuckC and azpoolguy like this.
  14. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
  15. swampgas

Mar 10, 2019
    I got some small parts, bits and pieces. Let me know, if I have em I can part with them

wrmiller likes this.
  16. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I appreciate that, thanks. Some stuff will be generic, others will not be. For example:

I want an extended mag release (stainless) and the little hex-head insert. I need a stainless plunger tube and a do-hickey to crimp it, as I apparently lost mine in the last move we did. :(

I will want one of those ejectors that has to be fit (or fit at the back) to close up the gaps in the slide, because this forum has contaminated my brain and now I think that is a necessity. :D

As the slide is carbon, I will get a carbon ejector and extractor to keep the back of the slide black. I'll also need a carbon reverse plug. I like the ones that extend up towards the barrel.

I'll also need a oversized FPS in carbon, or I'll just make one. It can't be hard. But it will depend on my mood at the time. Funds permitting, I may buy a 50 lpi checkering file to serrate the back of the slide and to checker the underside of the trigger strap/finger guard. Or I'll just use my old 40 lpi file. It may have one or two more jobs left in it.

I would like to use a hidden dovetail mount for one of the Bomars I have squirreled away. That I'll have to make, or I think Brandon makes a really cool looking mount that I'll have to check into. I want to mount the rear sight as low as possible so I can mount the shortest trijicon front sight I can find if I decide to go that route. I also have a Clark hidden dovetail front sight that would look pretty cool, but I'm not sure these old eyes could pick up a black front sight in a hurry anymore. Not even if I embed a gold dot or wire in it's face. Getting old sucks... :(

I like short, flat triggers. I will probably have to radius the front and serrate it myself. I have several new and old Extreme Engineering hammers and sears that I'm sure I can make work. I have one or two of his hammer struts as well. I may have a titanium one that I used with his titanium hammer in one of my race guns. I'll have to check.

I may have to order a Extreme Engineering disconnector though, as I don't remember seeing one in my little parts drawer.

I've not finalized everything on this build just yet. And that's OK as I said that I'm not in a rush to get this done. It's the journey, not the destination? Think I read that somewhere... ;)

Kip, HOGRIDER, swampgas and 4 others like this.
  17. jcc7x7

jcc7x7 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2019
    Like the whole idea of making the magwell. Glad it's working out so far!
    Neat thread to follow, keep us informed!

wrmiller likes this.
  18. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    Love these threads. Such a talented bunch we are blessed to have here on Addicts. I will sit back and enjoy the show...

zipper046 likes this.
  19. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Well, I've run into my first large hurdle:

I've been fixing little mismatches here and there, and cleaning up the frame quite a bit, but when I started really going at blending the GS I hit a snag.

In the following pic, where the centerline of the GS contours away from center to blend with the edge of the frame, the arc of the GS is too steep and is actually going below the edge of the frame. It is more pronounced on one side vs the other, but both will need attention.

IMG_0467.jpg

The problem is that by the time I get the two edges to blend nicely, I will have altered the edge of the frame and I will have to reshape that curved edge. Then the edge on the thumb safety will not line up correctly with the reshaped contour of the frame. So I'll have to re-contour that as well. *sigh*

Or I could just leave it as is as this is a cosmetic, not functional issue.

Naw, I'll give this a go as I did say I'd try to put a little more effort into making a more pretty pistol. ;)

Where are my files and sandpaper... :D

Integrity Arms, Kip, HOGRIDER and 4 others like this.
  20. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Let me know when you need a plunger tube staking tool... I'll send it your way.
    (if I read your earlier post correctly ^^^^)

ZoidMeister and wrmiller like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted