1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So before I get into this, I’m a huge proponent of buis on everything. But I’m questioning it in one scenario.

my truckgun is a b&t and of course space is limited. And I made things worse by putting a cloud defensive owl on it.

mounting the owl on top means the standard magpul irons have no room. I was able to put the owl on the bottom rail. It works. Just weird. I can train around it.

I’ve noticed that several folks are taking irons off their B&T. Their logic is that the aimpoint never fails, one less thing to clutter in the bag.

take this back further, the original b&t apc had those really crappy integrated irons. They did that because they designed the apc to use with aimpoint, they felt irons didn’t need to be fixed as the aimpoint is highly reliable. They made the irons as cheap as possible because no one used them. And if they did, cheap to replace, if they broke them.

fast forward to the apc pro, they dumped the integrated irons and started putting the most cost effective irons out there…magpul. I assume it’s because if the irons ever break, they already have a million magpul laying around. Easier to repair. They in this story is military. (The whole reason why the apc pro came out with the new features it has is for the government contract. )

so with that background, what are your thoughts on buis with the apc? Unnecessary?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Anything can fail, especially an optic with a battery. I am toying with the idea of a ultralight gun with just a primary arms micro prism on it. Prisms I think would be better suited to a lack of backup sights.

Regardless, assuming your a civilian, the likelihood that you'll need it is low, and even lower that you'll need buis. If you trust your specific aimpoint, keep fresh batteries in it and I bet you'll be just fine, maybe a spare battery in the grip/stock compartment if you got one.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I have the opposite view, it’s my iron sights that will never fail. If I’m trying to find you with anything further out instead of putting the truck in gear and hauling it out of there, I’m gonna have some ‘splaining to do.”

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the opposite view, it’s my iron sights that will never fail. If I’m trying to find you with anything further out instead of putting the truck in gear and hauling it out of there, I’m gonna have some ‘splaining to do.”
Hmmm I always thought of red dots as fast target acquisition while not losing focus of target. With irons being a precision thing.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Hmmm I always thought of red dots as fast target acquisition while not losing focus of target. With irons being a precision thing.
I think of truck gun as an urban setting with everything happening in close quarters. The other thing about iron sights in a truck gun is that they’re going to stay true if the truck takes a hard hit, and not get knocked wonky in an accident.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
I have BUIS on all my Rifles.

I have a Unity Aimpoint mount on one, that has a rear & front site built into the mount, it’s slick… You may want one, it would be perfect for your setup.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think of truck gun as an urban setting with everything happening in close quarters. The other thing about iron sights in a truck gun is that they’re going to stay true if the truck takes a hard hit, and not get knocked wonky in an accident.
Correct, that logic is why I went aimpoint.

either way, you are arguing for my original thought. keep the irons.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have BUIS on all my Rifles.

I have a Unity Aimpoint mount on one, that has a rear & front site built into the mount, it’s slick… You may want one, it would be perfect for your setup.
Yeah I saw a few of those videos. I just decided to be uniform with my setups so that I have less to learn as I’m still ‘drinking from the fire hose’ .

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Irons absolutely can fail, I've seen it happen, and experienced it myself once. I think the logic of 2 is 1 still applies regardless of what aiming solution you use.

Both irons and red dots have their advantages and disadvantages.
2 is 1 and 1 is none

·
Dremel jockey
4,763 Posts
With most red dot mounts providing a co-witness, one can use the irons wiffout removing the optic.
Of course, this doesn't help in a heavy rain!

·
Registered
258 Posts
My personal preference is for folding 45 degrees offset BUIS. I've seen all types of optics fail including Aimpoints and Trijicons. I've also seen iron sights break or fail for various reasons. If it's a "serious" gun, I prefer to have backups. However, I do also realize that the odds of needing the backups are low. The odds of realizing you need them and then actually having enough time to deploy them are even lower. But it makes me happier to have them. This is coming from a guy who, even with BUIS, prefers prism optics because, even as good as they are these days, I don't trust electronics very far. So take it with a grain of salt, I may be slightly paranoid about my optics.

·
Registered
505 Posts
They don’t them BACK UP iron sights for no reason. At some point in time somebody’s optic failed and they still needed to hit accurately.
I have KAC irons on all my guns. Sight the optic in, sight the irons in and rest easy knowing you’re doubly covered.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts