1911 Firearm Addicts banner

141 - 160 of 179 Posts

·
EX-IDF Special Forces
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
No magwell for the compact. If you see any pictures on instagram and such, it's a custom work that was not performed by Bul.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Just chiming in. I own a bunch of 2011’s. (A bunch is a gross understatement btw). You do not want a magwell on a concealed carry gun. Even the slim ones (sti tactical slim) adds a lot of girth to it and makes it very hard to conceal.

The mags on double stack 1911’s and 2011’s are tapered to a single stack with while the grip is still full width. That makes it like a natural magwell and is very easy to accomplish fast and accurate reloads.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am familiar with the 2011 platform as I have a STI Tactical Host 4.15 2011 with RMR that I carry and it conceals ok. This one should be a bit easier for summer though. I just like a slight mag well to keep the pinky on the grip as the shorter grip is just a slight bit short for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Gotcha. Have 5 guns with STI’s rare 105mm grip. I have large hands and my pinky does hang off of the gun. You can get a baseplate with a pinky extension on it if you find the grip too small.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That would work as well. Mine don’t hang off but it’s about 50/50 on/off and will come off while firing. How is it compared to STI guardian? Or the costa carry?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also, when did you order yours? I was just curious so I can get a feeling of when mine will get here. I was supposed to get it around the time you got yours but was told It has been delayed because of the red dot availability from COVID.
Full disclosure. I ordered mine from a different vender. I just saw his with a mag well and wanted to know what one it was.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
So I’ve recently had surgery on both shoulders so I haven’t shot my vipers yet so I can’t tell you if my pinky slips off.

Here is a pic comparison of the Bul 112.5mm grip next to the 105mm grip and the mag extension on the 105’s.

Printing normally comes from the butt of the gun so the mag extension is good to go.

The mag extension is made by Pearce. https://www.pearcegrip.com/ I looked at how the Bul mags attach the base pad and it looks like 2 set screws vs the spring on the STI’s so this specific model will not work but I’m sure they make a model that will.

19DE022F-8C62-4F27-A944-68F41CED9DCA.jpeg
77DC32A5-D4BF-411E-BE71-9A4674BF67C8.jpeg
D818259B-77B8-4261-A6F4-2C12E6E81D48.jpeg

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
How is it compared to STI guardian? Or the costa carry?

Lol, shorter would be my best response. I personally think that the 120mm grip on the STI’s are longer than they need to be and make concealing harder than it should.

When Staccato released a statement last year that they had big news for the compact carry grip I was super excited that they would follow SVI’s and BUL’s example and do a 113mm grip. But alas no. It was just a redesigned 120mm grip.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Damn. I probably should have got the 19 round grip. I thought it would be longer with the extra capacity over the guardian. Lol

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Damn. I probably should have got the 19 round grip. I thought it would be longer with the extra capacity over the guardian. Lol
I think it will be longer. More akin to the 126mm standard grip on a STI/Staccato like found on the Staccato P.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The specs on the website call the 19 round grip and mag 120 mm. I guess I just have to wait and see. But this waiting thing is killing me. Lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do the grip safety and hammers come in black? Or is that a option I seen some with black and some with silver but no option for that

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have not received mine yet. Ordered on June 5th. I DID NOT ORDER MINE FROM ICONIC ARMS. I just don't want anyone to get the wrong impression. I ordered from a different vendor. I will let you know what color the hammer and safety are when it gets here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Quick update just past 5k (thank the good Lord for military ammo for comps) Viper is still rocking hard and I finally orders a SAS II UL with CCW package.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay so after a week of long thought I'm seriously considering ordering one of these. I'd first like to thank IconicArms for wasting an hour of his time satisfying my morbidly specific questions about the SAS II UL.

Here's a few questions for the community at large:
  1. Without getting into the whole argument about STI quality (as my last thread did)... my limited experiences with STI have all been bad, but most of you seem to find my experience to be the exception and not the rule. SO - Those of you who have owned both STI's and BUL's, as well as enough other "nice" guns to have a decent basis for comparison; how do you find the overall build quality and attention to detail compared to STI? My benchmark for everything are my Guncrafters, but I fully realize that's not at all what we're talking about here at half the price or less.
  2. Recoil and flip are going to be a big concern for me in any pistol with barrel less than 4". With this gun in particular we're also talking about a radically lightened slide as well. I've read on other forums, and at least once here, that a major factor in the "3.0" models being the very first to get the chop at STI a few years back was slow sales and customer complaints on this very issue. Add to this - If I buy this gun I'll be carrying it every day. That's what it's for... and the defensive ammo I prefer is an extremely snappy +p round. One youtube reviewer claimed the SAS II UL ended up leaving a painful mark on his hand after shooting just a few dozen rounds of regular ball. This won't really be a range gun, but I'll obviously need to train with it. I'd love to hear some experiences on this. Is the gun uncomfortable to shoot?
  3. @iconic Arms - If I were to order one from the ground up.... what would the lead time be? I'm in no hurry, just need to know. (forgive me if this was mentioned elsewhere).
  4. Does anyone have a picture of just the barrel, out and clean? Especially interested in seeing the ramp, locking lugs etc.
  5. Looks like Bul is the only game in town for extra mags yeah?
  6. Last question - am I missing something or do many of the youtube reviews mention a retail price of a few hundred $$ less than seen here?

141 - 160 of 179 Posts