Bullet feeding issues with the 1911.

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Mike A, Oct 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    This is a subject I thought I understood all to well.
    Fact #1 the 1911 pistol will only feed 100% with the round nose bullet.
    This of course is the facts as I have experienced them.

Well that's true of my Colt 1911s anyway. If this were true I told myself.
    Then why is the universe filled with all manor of Flat nose, Soft point,
    and Hollow Point loads for the 1911?

Now you will notice I did not ask about feeding & the 45acp. That is because
    in the Pistols I have chambered for the 45acp like my Star Firestar & my Sig P250.
    With these one piece feed ramp pistols they will feed any bullet at all.

So with that said. What has been your experience with loads using bullets other
    than the round nose bullet. I am most interested in experience with loads for
    carry when it just must feed our you could die.

2. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    My Kimber Aegis Elite Custom feeds hollow points just fine. I've tested Remmington Golden Sabre and Federal HST.

Mike A likes this.

3. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    Does it use the standard 1911 2 piece feed ramp?

4. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    Other than the 2 piece feed ramp. Are there other factors affecting feeding of lets say hollow points?

5. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Yes.

Mike A likes this.
  6. Mikey421

Mikey421 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2014
    My Para ( yes, strike one already) won’t feed JHP but eats flat nose and ball rounds easily enough. It has a ramped match barrel but the JHPs hang up on stripping from the mag...I just avoid them altogether now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    Mikey by flat nose do you mean like jacketed Simiwadcutters. I have seen 200gr semi wadcutters for target use.

Mikey421 likes this.
  8. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    My '78 Combat Commander only works with Ball and Golden Sabers, unmodified factory barrel
    The Colt's Wiley Clapp Government feeds Ball, Gold Dots, Golden Sabers, HST's, Ranger T's etc
    My Baer TRS and Stinger eat everything on their plates

Mike A likes this.
  9. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    I shoot and load SWC , RNFP , JHP . No problems . Factory Winchester JHP functions 100 % also . I shoot all these out of Wilsons , Sigs , and Kimbers .

Mike A likes this.
  10. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    So far I am beginning to see that Colts have issues with bullets other than Round nose.
    Well this has been my experience the hollow points will work a little then bam hang up with a FTF.

11. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    The new Colt throating is good to go

Mike A likes this.
  12. dimedog

dimedog Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2017
    All the Baers, Wilsons, GIs, DWs, and Nighthawks that I own will eat HST, Gold Dots, Underwood and SXTs as well as any FMJs I have ever used.

Mike A likes this.
  13. Mikey421

Feb 22, 2014
    No, not JSWs, they look like round nose ball ammo but with the round nose smooshed flat...fully jacketed though

Mike A likes this.
  14. Mikey421

Feb 22, 2014
    RNFPs

Mike A likes this.
  15. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I have had no issues with hollow points in any of my 1911s including a Colt but my only Colt is a newer 9mm competition.

All the others eat anything and everything. Also I like to buy the 100 round boxes of Remington HP that Walmart sells to test with. They run really well:)

Mike A likes this.
  16. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    My Wilson 5" guns...in both 9mm and .45acp...have fed every JHP or non- round nose loads I have ever tried -- commercial defensive ammo, etc....

While I have fired most of the name brands of defensive ammo ...I carry Golden Sabre in both 9mm & .45acp ....

I have had 1911's from Ed Brown , Kimber, Colt, Springfield, and Les Baer....the only one that was fussy on ammo was the Les Baer...

Mike A and mikegalway like this.
  17. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    A Colt XSE Commander I had shot Federal Hydra Shok and HST without issue as does my Special Combat Government which I shall not part with on this side of the grave.

Mike A likes this.
  18. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011

Sounds like your pistol needs a bit of barrel work.
    Personally, I have no use for a pistol that won’t reliably feed hollow points.
    I would like to have the ability to carry any pistol I own, and I won’t carry a pistol using ball ammunition.

Mike A likes this.
  19. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    Thanks everyone for your great input I learned a lot. I will do some research on how to go
    about getting a 1911 to feed different types of bullets reliably.

Thanks again.
    Mike

20. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    With the breach in full open position and the barrel in lock down resting on top of the feed ramp. Make sure the bottom edge of the barrel is forward of the frame feed ramp by no less than .003 inch and there are no burrs or hard edges for a bullet to hang up on. For positive feeding of HPs I use no less than 18 lb recoil springs in .45 acp or 38 super.

Mike A likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted