1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far, all my .45 shooting has been 230 gr. FMJ's, but I'm starting to reload for the .45, and was wondering what folks preferred in bullet weight, and why. Not so much concerned with bullet type, I realize that's use dependent.

So for example, in 9 mm, I tend to prefer 124 gr. bullets, they don't seem as snappy as 115's, and are more available than 147's, regardless of style. Thanks!

Dave

·
Incurable..... NRA Lifer
445 Posts
I load 200 grains, generally copper coated....

Reactions: LPRoad

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
I reload 230gr fmj and carry 230 gr HP I like to practice with what I carry. 4.8gr of bullseye with cci primers.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I use 230gr FMJ for practice, and 230gr Gold Dots for carry. I load my ammo to mimic factory ammo. Practice is supposed to build muscle memory. Shooting a low power load does not help with that. You can get lazy with your grip. I want the gun to recoil the same for possible follow up shots in a self defense situation. If strictly for range use, low power loads are fine. That is my two cents, your opinion may vary.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I use 230 gr for my standard reloads with X-Treme HP’s and 200 gr SWC’s and may switch to 185’s for my bullseye gun. Used to shoot more 200gr loads but I like the feel of a 230gr better as it is more of a push than a snap.

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
I've loaded and shot 185gr, 200gr, 225gr. and 230gr. I'm really not too fussy. Lately I've been loading the same 200gr RNFP cast bullets I use for 45 Colt (loaded to about 160 PF). I've found cheap bullets in this configuration so that's what I use. My carry load is a standard pressure 230gr. I don't find enough difference in recoil or POI to make me wish I practiced with something else.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
230 grains seems to work best for me. The 1911 was
designed to shoot the 230 gr weight, so all seems good
with this weight. Springs in mags & pistol were set to
use the 230 gr bullet. Changes must be made with bullet weight
variations, this is why Wolff offers so many different weights of springs.

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
5,012 Posts
200 gr plated, RN or HP until I use them up, then I’ll start using my 230 gr bullets.

Reactions: duketbrd88

·
Turgid member
569 Posts
200 gr SWC and 230 gr LRN seem to be the most commonly used bullets for reloading .45 ACP.
I really like Hi-Tek coated bullets, they are clean to handle, load and shoot.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, guys, that was no help whatsoever :D! Bottom line, sounds like personal preference followed by what's most readily available. Guess I'm just going to have to do my own testing and deciding, I already have a bunch of test loads waiting on my next range trip, 2 different Hi-Tek coated, the 200 gr. SWC and the 225 gr. TC, as well as some 230 gr. Gold Dots. Guess I need to pick up something in a 185 to round things out. BTW, this will be mostly for range use, although I did just add a Sig .45 to the arsenal that could see some carry duty, and will almost certainly become a nightstand gun. No 1911's, I just traded my one and only on the Sig. The other .45 is a CZ, and that's strictly a range toy. Later.

Dave

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
Years ago I loaded up a bunch of 230 grn LRN over 5.7 grns of 231 for my IPSC Days......Not for the faint of heart. I am still shooting it up.

Somewhere out there I also have some 200 grn LRN and some 185LSWC I was playing with for something.....For what I can't remember.

For carry I use Golden Sabre, Some Bull Dog or Hydroshok all 230 grn.

Karsten

·
1911 Fiend
530 Posts
My gunsmith and I just had this conversation. You need to shoot what the guns wants, not what you want. I've got 3 1911's that shoot 200gr XTP bullets extremely well and 3 that shoot it to about 12" at 25yds.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts