1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was a fun project. A unique blend of scallops and top of slide treatment make this gun quite unique. Government length 10mm, PVD type DLC. Textured walnut grips. Bunker Arms sights, radial bore bushing, slide stop, trigger, hammer set, grips. Chen Magwell.

·
The Tinker
4,250 Posts
I LOVE 10mm, and this is one I'd love to own. No way in heck I could afford it though. :(

Reactions: HOGRIDER

·
Registered
784 Posts
That is beautiful. Do you raise the rear sight to adjust windage, then return elevation to the desired setting? What a great pig and deer gun that would make.

·
Super Moderator
990 Posts
Can you share what is meant by "PVD type DLC"? I was under the impression DLC was its' own type of finish?
Thanks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you share what is meant by "PVD type DLC"? I was under the impression DLC was its' own type of finish?
Thanks!
DLC is a type of PVD (physical vapor deposit). Other types of PVD are TiN, AlTiN, TiCN, CrN, AlTiCrN, and ZrN. These coatings have been used on industrial cutting tools long before they were ever applied to a firearm.

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
Such a cool build! This one must bring a smile at the range.

Is that the SI magwell? I am asking because I have one that will be receiving a somewhat similar treatment and have only seen the checkered ones so far. It looks great

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
Nice build as usual, I really like that rear sight, and the top treatment you did to the slide, and those grips look great with the finish. Maybe one of these day's I could send you one of mine to work over. Great job, keep it up.

·
Super Moderator
990 Posts
DLC is a type of PVD (physical vapor deposit). Other types of PVD are TiN, AlTiN, TiCN, CrN, AlTiCrN, and ZrN. These coatings have been used on industrial cutting tools long before they were ever applied to a firearm.
So are there other types of DLC besides PVD based DLC?

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
YES! You know eventually when they learn how to apply it (only LOS now) HVOF will replace them all. :) Wicked Wicked stuff! Used on the inside of the F35 Landing Gear Hydraulic Main Cylinders all variants.

Hill AFB does this for the AC. https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a599588.pdf

·
1911 Pistol Smith
10,421 Posts
That is beautiful. Do you raise the rear sight to adjust windage, then return elevation to the desired setting? What a great pig and deer gun that would make.
The windage on the rear sight is adjustable from where it is, you just use a smaller head screw driver and be careful. The cylinder just rotates and the blade is free to move.. I just did one of these sights on my last build and they are just awesome. Got the same questions about adjustments though lol..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts