Bushing Barrel?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by BCD 45, Feb 14, 2019.

1. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Well here I am again the beginner dummy. I only know what a ramped barrel is, I think, because of the Kimber Ultra I bought. But I have no idea what a bushing barrel is and if it's good, bad, or otherwise. Could someone please explain it to me in easy to understand language?

Are there 3 different type barrels, ramped, bushing, & whatever else? What is the purpose of a bushing barrel and is it better than a ramped barrel? I'm just confused and trying to learn. Thank you very much.

Jim D

xerts1191 and ORShooter like this.
  2. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    I think you have your terms wrong, it's bushing or bushingless and it has nothing to do with the ramp'd end of the barrel.

The left hand 1911 has a bushing on the barrel, vs on the right as a bushingless or bull barrel like many kimbers.

SA10mm1911BarrelSBS.jpg

3. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
  4. Oldgunner

Oldgunner Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2018
    Well, I have nine 1911s and none of them has a "bushing barrel". However, I do have one with a "bull barrel" which could be called a "bushing-less" barrel. Simply stated, a bull barrel mates directly with the slide without the need for a bushing. There are also "cone" or "coned" barrels that are functionally similar to the bull barrels. Welcome to the world of 1911 variants, of which there are many. To make it even more confusing, you'll constantly be challenged by posts with all kinds of abbreviations and acronyms for parts, competitions, and a bunch of other things. Hang in there!

xerts1191, PewPewPtwang and BCD 45 like this.
  5. Oldgunner

Oldgunner Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2018
    Clearly, I was beaten to the draw. At least you have some pictures now.

BCD 45 likes this.
  6. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Thank ya'll so very much, it was confusing the heck out of me but I think I understand it now.

As for abbreviations, I've already had to goggle them several times, like MSH. Who the hel would know what that is but a 1911 guy. Thanks all of you.

Jim D

7. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Don't hesitate to use the forum search tool... Here's a small list of abbreviations... aka acronyms

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/1911-acronyms.178/

BCD 45 and Otherside like this.
  8. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
    A9F675BD-B77A-4D5C-B856-93D7E93257BC.png FYI ramped or non-ramped barrel applies to the chamber end of the barrel. Personally for .45acp the only time I would want a ramped barrel would be for an aluminum frame gun.

BCD 45 likes this.
  9. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    It's all personal preference . I've got quite a few of each and don't really notice a performance difference . That being said I like bushings because of tradition and I like the idea of a bushing fitted to barrel and slide , plus the bushing is like a sacrificial part protecting the slide .

BCD 45 and Lou1 like this.
  10. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Man wow, thanks, nice easy to understand pictures.

And double WOW! What a list of abbreviations. Made me feel like a real dumb azz. Thanks, I'll study them so I'll know what the conversation is about anyhow.

Jim D

Sneaky One and ORShooter like this.
  11. Lou1

Sep 1, 2018
    I tend to stick with barrel bushing 1911’s simply because I find them easier to disassemble than the non-bushing barrel. Nothing wrong with either just personal preference.

12. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    BTW, someone asked at another place, that's a rare black Fox in the picture. We have a few but so very rare to see one.

Jim D

Sneaky One and Lou1 like this.
  13. Lou1

Sep 1, 2018
    That’s cool. I knew they could be black but I’ve never had the good fortune to see one.

BCD 45 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted