Business protection

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JonFrank, Nov 27, 2018.

1. JonFrank

JonFrank Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Ok guys. Need some input/clarity.

Taking my wife’s new car to an auto detailer that I found online. He seems to have a good resume. Reviews on Google and from what I can see on FB. He’s been trained on several manufacturer applications. Basically, not a dude doing it as a side hustle.

Well, I get a call last night confirming my appointment. Then he confirms my car, because...

He is no longer renting a building, apparently building issues, and is doing the jobs out of his home garage. He says he will rent space when needed.

So, since I’m apparently negative, if this all turns to bad, say car is damaged, stolen, paid for service not rendered.

Am I protected with it being at his house vs industrial/business property?

If location matters, DFW area.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Good luck. Talk to a few of those FaceCraigsBookList'ers who have used him recently since his downsizing.

Then vist his house and see what other work he has waiting.

FWoo45, tac45, boatdoc and 2 others like this.

3. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Better conversation to have with your insurance company, not a forum. Every company is different; every policy is different; and everyone online is a barracks room lawyer. Before you do that, you can and should ask if he is fully licensed and bonded as well.

Stogies, Fred_G, Babboonbobo and 3 others like this.
  4. JonFrank

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks for the input.

So his place should be licensed as a business with the city?

5. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    Personally, if he has reviews I wouldn't worry. A place of business guarantees nothing IMHO.

The big thing in Scottsdale is people come to your house or place of employment and throw up a quick pop up tent and detail your car I doubt they have insurance, who knows.

6. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    I personally know the owners and founders of a car wash service called “Wash’e”.
    If they operate in your area they are top notch.
    Works like an Uber app.

FWoo45 likes this.
  7. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    I’d be surprised if they didn’t carry insurance. You’d be in a bad situation if you didn’t LLC your company and have liability for damages.
    Who knows.

8. Apollo99

Apollo99 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Pretty low liability with an auto detailer, now if the guy was doing trannys or body work out of his garage, I would be suspect. There are plenty of guys around her in Arizona that put up a tent in your drive way or a parking lot and do their thing. Also by trannys I mean transmissions not the other thing.

xerts1191, FWoo45, azpoolguy and 3 others like this.
  9. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Hey , sometimes it pays to spend a few more bucks to protect yourself and your investment, this is one of them . Piece of mind is a wonderful thing.

UBOATDOC likes this.
  10. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Take a lawn chair, and pack a gat. Sit there while the work is done.

xerts1191, WHEELS, FWoo45 and 2 others like this.
  11. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    I'm with deadguy,or buy a can of Turtle wax and do it yourself.
    Hell, Jiffy lube will vac it if ya change the oil ;)

Stogies and deadguy like this.
  12. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    My dad ran his body shop out of our one car garage as a kid and grew it to where he needed a large pole building, we moved so he would have room for the business. Got to be one of the best and most we’ll know body shops around, even other body shops would bring stuff to him to help them. People came from other states for him to build their cars. Then as he got older he got more into insurance repair for a consistent income and the hot rod stuff went by the way side. If it hadn’t I wound probably still be doing that for a living!

There are more reputable guys out there doing their “thing” than con artists! Problem is you usually only hear about the cons! So most important things is licensed and insured no matter where the physical business is! Good luck and I hope it turns out great.

JonFrank and Kip like this.
  13. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Even if he has business insurance....it will not cover things you paid for that he did not do ( business insurance is not a warranty ), it may not cover stolen cars in his care or custody unless it has the right endorsements .../ and if he has a policy, it depends on what the premises is on the policy ...( but if they knew it was his home, they would probably cancel the policy ). Relying on his insurance to handle this stuff ...is a bad idea...

Will your own insurance cover it ...maybe if stolen, if he has no insurance ...but probably nothing else / call your own agent...

Texas has some very odd insurance laws... / its part of the state's charm...

and find a difference person to do the work regardless !!

14. JonFrank

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks for the information guys.

As I figured, it sounds like insurance can be a tricky thing.

This isn’t a quick wash and vacuum job. He has quite the resume, recent it seems as well.

I drop it off tomorrow am.

Will let you guys know how and when our car was stolen by no later than Saturday!

xerts1191 and FWoo45 like this.
  15. JonFrank

Feb 17, 2015
    Well.

Reading comprehension is always key. This is at the bottom of his pricing list.

[​IMG]

At any rate. Car was dropped off Wednesday morning and we picked it up this am.

Her new Expedition is too big to fit in our garage so the new ceramic coating should really help with keeping it clean!
    [​IMG]

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted